2009 BMW F 650 GS Info and Photos!

Gimme gimme gimme!!!

I love it. That's my next bike for sure (in addition to -- not replacing the trusty Fazer.)

Cool. I thought they stopped making it and that the F800GS was it's replacement. Thanks for the good news!

I have '01 Thumper, it has some good qualities, but def. lacks the power/speed of FZ. I actually like the look of the older ones better. I really like the under seat fuel tank, nice center of gravity. I will get to know mine again soon.... I will be going to FL and ridin it back home to KY,,,, yeeehawww. Then I will probably sell it to get cash to get some FZ mod items :rockon:

About 25 horsepower less than the FZ6. It’s lighter than the FZ6 and has about double the weight carrying capacity. Smaller fuel tank. Speaking of which, it looks like the tank filler cap is on the right side behind the rider?

It looks like BMW did away with the horizontal orientation of the cyclinder heads.

Speaking of which, it looks like the tank filler cap is on the right side behind the rider?
The tank is actually under the seat, which, as another member mentioned, lowers the center of gravity.

It looks like BMW did away with the horizontal orientation of the cyclinder heads.
It's actually a Rotax motor that Bimmer has used on the F650GS for some time. As far as I know the funky horizontal orientation is still the hallmark of their larger bikes.... though it's mostly hidden under plastics these days.

Glad to see they found another use for that ugly headlight :p
TBH they kind of bastardized the F650 line with this. Prior this model they were all Rotax (and some Aprilia) single-cylinder engines and although they were down on power compared to the twin they were very reliable and easy to work on...I'm sure I'll miss that engine when I inevitably have to check the valves on the FZ.

Meh...

As much as I like BMWs, this bike just looks like half of what my cheaper FZ6 is. Biggest exception is its off-road capacity, which when one actually tries to ride these behemoths down trails, becomes almost moot in my book.

I like light and fast dirt bikes, no lights, barely any plastic and all GRRRR. I had a Yamaha "Enduro" 500 once, and was never really happy with the way it behaved in the woods. I'd rather be on a mid-sized Honda or Yamaha any day, esp the two-strokes.

This is definately better than Kawasaki's answer for everything dual sport, which is the KLR650 everyone seems to have. Trouble is, that market is not going to go for a $10,000 chuffer, and I suspect Kawasaki will keep it's hold there. If I was going to buy a Beemer, it would be a K or R1200.

Nice bikes, there...

who here has spent some quality miles on the previous gen F650GS and still says "not interested"?

I put MAYBE 15miles on an '06 and loved every moment. It's not meant to be compared to the Fazer. It's its own machine. It's not meant to be compared to a 1200ADV either. It is what it is... and damn, is it a nice ride.

Of course, at 5'4", the 1200's are joke for me. If I was 8" taller I might be dogging it as well.

I have an '01 and just don't like the look of the new '09 I'd rather keep mine.... It is different but I bought it more for campground riding/ traveling... Keep FZ clean and safe while enjoying the twisties almost as much. Dropped BMW on a steep gravel road when gravel slid out from under me at a stop...vertically challenged=oooops, no damage except small scratch on bar end @ handguard. Woulda cried if had FZ, there would have definitely been some damage to it. They are very different and I like them both, haven't ridden BMW since it is still in FL but looking forward to the 1000mi ride coming up soon when I go pick it up:)

A BMW GS ??????????????????????????

I think this clip says it all...........

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6hoGgGVcM"]YouTube - Hitlers new bike[/ame]

Enjoy...........

Steve

Back