2009 fz6 starting troubles

hybriduff

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! So, I've read through several forums and have read several threads about fz6s, r6s, ect not starting and I couldn't find a situation like mine so maybe someone could shed some light on my baby.

Ok, so first off, like an idiot, I left some gas in the bike over winter (2-3 months). I figured that this would be a problem, so before I started it for the first time this Spring i drained the tank, and replaced it with 93 octane gas and fuel injector cleaner.

It started right up for about 30 mins and then chippered out and died. Subsequent attempts at starting the bike resulted in 3-4 seconds of ignition followed by a weak 500-1000 rpms roll over and a quick stall out (pretty classic bad gas/no gas symptom). After a while the battery died...

So, I jumped the bike with my car and started doing some trouble shooting. The battery charged back up no prob. The fuel pump obviously ran fine with a nice 2-3 second hum as I turned the key on. When I go to start it, still nothing, same bad gas/ no gas symptoms. I started spraying starting fluid into the air box and it fired RIGHT up no prob. I kept it going with 'as needed' sprays (hoping to clear out the bad gas). After about 30 mins of doing this, the bike still dies after the starting fluid evaporates.

What do you guys think? This is a 2009 FZ6 with only about 2100 miles on it. Oil is fine, and I think its most definetly a fuel problem, everything else runs fine.

If you lifted the tank to jump the bike, did you make sure not to kink any of the vent lines coming off the tank when you set it back down? Also with it starting on the starter fluid did you try to give it some gas once it fired up? If you didn't try it again after you made sure the lines are not kinked and once it fires up give it some gas and try to hold a steady 3-5k rpm for a min or so with no spray. You also might want to try to up you idle a bit.

Do the above and try adding seafoam to the fuel tank in a concentrated amount. 1/2 can to maybe 1 gallon of fresh fuel. Once the seafoam hits the injectors it should clean up. Worst case senerio is you will have to remove the injectors and have them cleaned.

Do the above and try adding seafoam to the fuel tank in a concentrated amount. 1/2 can to maybe 1 gallon of fresh fuel. Once the seafoam hits the injectors it should clean up. Worst case senerio is you will have to remove the injectors and have them cleaned.

+1 on the above.

Chevron "Tectron" also works very well. I use both the Seafoam and the techtron myself..

If you do a search, someone here has cleaned his own injectors instead of shipping them out...

The problem is going to be getting the Seafoam to the problem area.

Last edited:
If you lifted the tank to jump the bike, did you make sure not to kink any of the vent lines coming off the tank when you set it back down? Also with it starting on the starter fluid did you try to give it some gas once it fired up? If you didn't try it again after you made sure the lines are not kinked and once it fires up give it some gas and try to hold a steady 3-5k rpm for a min or so with no spray. You also might want to try to up you idle a bit.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did make sure the two vent lines and the main fuel line wasn't kinked. I wasn't able to achieve 3-5k rpms unless i gave the bike a big spray of ether. The bike wont stay idle. When I give it gas it slightly goes up in rpms but then dies.

What does the inside of the tank look like? Typically you WANT to leave the tank FULL when you store it. Empty allows rust to form on the inside of the tank.

Man, you got to be careful with the ether! :eek: I wouldn't use it at all. I've seen guys kill motors with that stuff. Put a some fuel in a spray bottle and use it that way. :thumbup:

I wasn't able to achieve 3-5k rpms unless i gave the bike a big spray of ether. The bike wont stay idle. When I give it gas it slightly goes up in rpms but then dies.

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue but if your able to you might also want to check your spark plugs to see what they look like. The way you describe the engine dyeing almost instantly when trying to give it gas with out either almost sounds like it could be a pump/filter issue. I know you said you can hear it priming normal but if the filter is getting clogged then it would be allowing enough fuel to fire with the either but not anymore. If the bike ran perfectly fine before winter I'm leaning towards the filter being stopped up now.
Especially since your tank wasn't full, rust is more then likely the culprit. I would pull the tank off, carefully pull the pump to get a good look inside the tank and if you can see rust or other gunk try your best to clean it out. Then try to clean the pump and filter housing

Man, you got to be careful with the ether! :eek: I wouldn't use it at all. I've seen guys kill motors with that stuff. Put a some fuel in a spray bottle and use it that way. :thumbup:

+1 to that. I only use it if the engine needs a little help if it's having issues, and only one quick spray. Past that, it's straight gas. Ether burns way too hot to use it too much.

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue but if your able to you might also want to check your spark plugs to see what they look like. The way you describe the engine dyeing almost instantly when trying to give it gas with out either almost sounds like it could be a pump/filter issue. I know you said you can hear it priming normal but if the filter is getting clogged then it would be allowing enough fuel to fire with the either but not anymore. If the bike ran perfectly fine before winter I'm leaning towards the filter being stopped up now.
Especially since your tank wasn't full, rust is more then likely the culprit. I would pull the tank off, carefully pull the pump to get a good look inside the tank and if you can see rust or other gunk try your best to clean it out. Then try to clean the pump and filter housing

That's where I was going with that. I'll bet there's rust in the tank potentially causing at least part of the problem.

The fact that it started initially and ran good says the injectors and pump were all good for a while. They had the lines full and allowed it to run about the time it took for the pump to take on new fuel and/or debris and plug it up.

I'd be siphoning that gas off in a jug or auto and pull the tank. With the tank as empty as you can get it by siphon, use a flashlight to inspect it or take it out in the sun. NO MATCHES or ignition sources for Inspection. . . . just sayin. . . .

Tell us what you see.

Kinking any of the hoses would likely still allow it to idle. You have a Dead STOP PLUG UP!!!

The tanks air vents being plugged would not cause this!

This is my bike, AS FOUND the first time I lifted the tank. It ran fine.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/36794-fuel-tank-dont-kink-hoses-w-pics.html

Tank looked good. Put new gas in the tank (again), and a bottle of Seafoam. Started by it self with no ether, ran like **** for 15 mins (but stayed running) and then I took it for a run around the block and it got better. My baby is back to normal :)

Seafoam is some wonderful stuff!!! I would run at least 2 more bottles through it if it was running as bad as you said to begin with. It can't hurt only help!

I would change, or at least look at, the plugs after you're done running the sea foam. It can produce nastiness on the plugs if it was bad enough.

Excellent!.

+1 on the Seafoam and how well it works.

I usually have an additive (Seafoam or K100) in every tankfull (at the suggested amount) just as preventive maintainance to keep the fuel system and top end clean.

As a side note, I just tried some Yamalube "Ring Free" additive that I bought for the boat (spec's on the bottle indicates it does about the same as Seafoam) but at 1 oz / 10 gallons. Quite a bit more expensive too.. Bike seems to like it. Time will tell..

-------------- new problem ------------

Ok so, The bike runs fine now but when I drove it to the gas station to get a fresh fill up I filled the tank up like I usually do and gas started SPEWING out of one of the breather hoses. The hose on the left side which I believe is the overflow hose gushed out about a gallon or so of fuel before it stopped (I had to tie the hose in a knot just to get home). The right hose (the breather hose I think) doesn't spew anything. What is going on? Read original post for bike specs/original problem.

The hose on the right (from page 7-1 Yamaha manual) is the "fuel tank breather hose", the left one the "fuel tank drain hose"...

I suspect one of them got kinked further down where they run downward. Just make sure their not kinked (follow them from each side of the tank), they should make a smooth run downwards....

Its not hard to kink them when setting the tank back down...

I've got both of them pretty exposed, no kinks.. Maybe the other hose is stopped up or soemthing? I'm not understanding how the internal hoses work, where is it over flowing from?

Back