2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 3 (demo'd Concourse, new V-strom 1k, ZX14R)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another beautiful day here in FL. 78 and sunny. I wish I could bottle this weather up.

First bike I demo'd today was the new V-strom 1000 (the one with the beak nose.. no doubt influenced by the Multistrada).

attachment.php

Excellent machine! Smooth strong motor, with none of the vibration of the Tenere. The powerband is broader than that of Tenere as well, but what really made me enjoy it was how well it rode. None of the squishy, couchy feel of the Super Ten. This bike is clearly aimed much more for the road and much less for off-road. Less buffeting than Super Ten too, and the screen offers manual angle adjust-ability with several detents.. I was able to play with different angles while riding, so very easy to adjust.
If I had to say anything negative about this one.. the seat is very tall.. taller than Tenere. This is the first bike I've had to tip-toe (short of full on dirt bikes).
Oh and get this.. average mpg on the particular bike I rode (demo only.. so everyone goes WOT on these to get the feel for its power)... 50.6
Very very impressive.

Next up was the Concourse.

attachment.php

This bike was on my "maybe one day" list, based on specs and how similar it is to FJR. Having ridden it, it is now off the list.
The good: excellent engine with plenty of very linear power (arguably more refined than FJR). Transmission is smooth and has 6 gears, unlike the FJR.
The not-so-good: unlike the FJR, this bike does not hide its weight well. It feels heavy and wallowy. Perhaps default suspension settings were way off for my weight (170), but there was very pronounced fork dive under moderate breaking and very evident weight transfer when easing off the break.. felt like fork was coming back up and the rear was squatting down quite a bit.
Breaks were very vague. Trying to get on them as progressively as I could.. there's a lot of "nothing is happening" followed by a grab and big fork dive. It also seemed like I could feel a bit of pulsation at the lever.. almost like ABS was kicking on.. or maybe the rotors were warped?
Finally, with my size twelves and my toes on pegs, I could not tuck the heals in against the heal plates. Instead, my heals were bottoming out on the rear passenger foot rest brackets, which essentially had me in a duck-footed position.
This bike has an electronically adjustable screen, just like FJR. Oddly, there was buffeting at any level. More than FJR. Aftermarket screen would be in order, if I owned this bike.
This may very well be a combination of poorly set up bike and me expecting too much out of it.

Last demo of the day was the ZX14R.

attachment.php

Holy power, Batman!! :rof:
This is one of those bike which make my FZ1 feel slow.. very VERY slow :rolleyes:
This thing (just like the Busa) is supposed to be an absolute pig, but I found it to be pleasantly maneuverable. I could be crazy, but I think the handling is no worse than FZ1. Difficult to say, as there were only few curves on the test ride, but the few I did take.. bike felt perfectly composed and held its line well. We did a stretch on the highway at about 80mph.. I don't think I ever got out of 3rd gear (and could have easily stayed in 2nd). Roll on from any RPM and the thing shoots forward effortlessly, but in a linear and composed manner. I really enjoyed riding this thing and could probably enjoy owning one.. except for one thing: major heat coming off the engine. I felt it at every stop and it was only 80 degrees out.. not exactly scorching. That's a deal breaker in my book.

Let me know if there's any bike you want me to jump on, while I'm here :D
(keep in mind there's no Honda, KTM or BMW :( )

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write ups. Thanks for sharing. No pics?
Not a one. Since I spent all day in demo areas.. there wasn't much to take pics of, besides demo bikes.. which I guess I'll do tomorrow or day after.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A Triumph? That's another one that's not represented here :(

Not a single thing from Triumph (at least Honda has a show tent where you can sit on all of their bikes).

That's too bad....I think those are nice looking bikes.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting review between the Connie and zx14. The highway patrol in Idaho uses the connie. I'm sitting on one in my avatar. How tall are you?

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your reviews. I really appreciate them more than the drivel coming out of most professional magazines. Especially interesting since you've had experience with the FZ6. Three questions for you:

1. If you have ridden the DL650 can you compare the weight vs the DL1000 and anything else you can think of between the two the would sway you one way or the other? A 2012+ DL650 is probably my next bike so I would be curious.

2. Since Honda is not offering demos rides, would you be able to give us your impression of the seating position of the new CBR650F and reintroduced VFR800 relative to the FZ6?

3. This is probably worthy of a separate post, but do you think there is middleweight on the market right now that is better than our FZ6?

Thanks and enjoy your time in the sun with your folks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. If you have ridden the DL650 can you compare the weight vs the DL1000 and anything else you can think of between the two the would sway you one way or the other? A 2012+ DL650 is probably my next bike so I would be curious.

2. Since Honda is not offering demos rides, would you be able to give us your impression of the seating position of the new CBR650F and reintroduced VFR800 relative to the FZ6?

3. This is probably worthy of a separate post, but do you think there is middleweight on the market right now that is better than our FZ6?

Thanks and enjoy your time in the sun with your folks.

Glad my write-ups are appreciated :thumbup:

I have not ridden DL650, but I'll be riding more bikes tomorrow and I'll add it to my list. I'll chime in with results tomorrow evening.

Yup, I'll ride over to the Honda tent tomorrow and throw my leg over 650F. Did not see the new VFR there :( .. only the 1200 one.

In stock form and comparable price? Something that has a fairing, a 600-800cc motor and is not a full on sport bike? I'd have to say not even close.
FZ6R is perfectly nice, but it's heavier and has quite a bit less power. Ninja 650? Again a lot less power (though a really nice bike otherwise). Suzuki has nothing in this segment and Honda's 650F.. I'm sure it's more like FZ6R and less like FZ6.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great to see the steeds you swung a leg over. The new SV1K appears a great practical road bike. Shame about the ugly super chicken front end.

Not a pretty face for sure, but once you start moving, you forget the looks and just enjoy how well it rides. :thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say that I disagree about the Connie much.

It's a PIG.

I have '08 and I didn't notice much of a nose dive issues. Maybe the demo bike was poorly set up. Then again I don't have ABS on mine so maybe that's the issue.

I am just about done with it. Don't get me wrong it's a sofa on the highway but absolutely tiresome for anything else.

That new V-Strom 1k looks sexy as hell!

I wish they were out when I bough my '12 DL650. Ohh well.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great reviews Eric, thanks for posting them up.

I'm hoping MotoGP at COTA has more vendors this year. I love looking at all of the "stuff."