25,000 miles of data

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It may not be a surprise to most of you, but I have kept careful track of my data for each tank of gas since I bought my FZ almost 3 years ago:eek:, and thought I'd share:

Tanks: 141
Octane: 87
Average fill up volume: 4.01 gal
Max fill up volume: 4.83 gal
Average miles before fill up: 180.87
Max miles before fill up: 224.20
Average miles per gallon: 45.17
Maximum miles per gallon: 52.87
Minimum miles per gallon: 38.92
Average miles when F trip triggered: 174.04
Average theoretical miles left when F trip triggered: 54.00 miles
Max miles on F trip: 42.3
Average gas price per gallon: $3.20 USD
Maximum gas price per gallon: $4.67 USD on 6/18/08
Minimum gas price per gallon: $1.72 USD on 12/12/08

It was surprising to me that my mileage didn't decrease after I added the 15T front sprocket. Before I added it on 5/16/09 my average mileage was 44.94 MPG. I had a similar result with my Cortech saddle bags and 2bros exhaust. I think most of the mileage improvement I've seen is due to riding habits.

Anyone else have data to share?

Last edited:
Cool data. I don't keep a log of any of this, but I do check MPG about every 3-4 tanks. I average ~39mpg. 44mpg with pillion, but I mostly ride solo and keep the rpms where they make me smile :D

I've been keeping records in a small notebook too, and I'll be hitting 25K early this spring, I'll have to calc similar numbers to compare.
Thanks! :thumbup:

That's a lot of useful information!

I check my mpg when I fill up (usually get around 40mpg on 93 octane Thornton's gas), but I don't keep any running data.

76 20
Arco 6
Chevron 60
Shell 10
Valero 22
Other 23

Oh yeah, and strangely I found that I get better mileage when I drive South versus the other directions.

Are all the labels on the cans of food in your pantry, all facing the same way???

;)

But seriously, that is some detailed data! Very interesting reading, even if you dont keep an eye on this stuff yourself!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Im going to run similar data on our trip to Tassie in a couple of weeks , basicially to compare the XJR & the V-Star but i'll be more than happy to run fuel comparo's on the other 3 bikes aswell :thumbup:

Im going to run similar data on our trip to Tassie in a couple of weeks , basicially to compare the XJR & the V-Star but i'll be more than happy to run fuel comparo's on the other 3 bikes aswell :thumbup:

Go your hardest Humpy....i have been a bit freaked out by my fuel comsumption on Pinky lately...taken it back to full Oem Spec, and got rid of any aftermarket "performance" add-on's, and i have been riding it in super conservative mode, and i am getting crazy numbers, like 260km's a tank....a figure i have never known from either of my FZ6's before!

Wioll be interested to see how 2 panniers, a top box, a tank bag, all full of gear, and a pillion will make???? It's gonna be a heavy load to trudge about with!

In fact, i am lucky if i get 180km's out of a tank on the black bike!!!

:thumbup:

I'll upload my data (easy enough from my excel sheet) for the benefit of others though.

Please upload the spreadsheets!!
I want to visualize them......
Thanks!!!!!!!
EDIT: i'm being serious, i may post up some graphs. it depends on the data.

Last edited:
Back