8 Miles A Day

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I will be riding my bike as little as eight miles a day now. And otherwise making shorter trips then in the past. New job, very local, gonna be a very local commuter now.

Is there anything I need to know about specific bike maintenance for short distance daily usage? I have read that running the bike keeps the battery charged, but for those days when it's all work and no play or errands is riding the bike under 50mph four miles each way going to kill the battery without notice? What do I need to know and understand about maintaining a somewhat limited use FZ6?

Perhaps I should extend my ride to work and back home? But how much? "Take the long way," as they say? 10 miles each way? Get the speed up just a little? What else should I be concerned about besides the battery?

Thanks guys :)

BWillie

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll probably get emulsion buildup in the crankcase since your engine will barely get warm. A good hoon every other sunday should clear it. It would be good to keep your oil changes frequent as well, at least annually even if you've only done 1,000 miles.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the battery unless you have any kind of parasitic draw on it (like an alarm). Honestly, the bike will be completely fine on a commute like that, you'll just want to change your oil based on time, not mileage.

Personally, I always end up taking the "long way" after a day at work. Just something about being on two wheels...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on if your in northern Ca or southern Ca would make somewhat a difference of how hot the engine gets.

If your running 50 MPH roughly, the engine is spinning over about 4,000 RPM, max charging is at 5,000, so your right up there.

I'd keep the idle up about 1,300 so the battery IS charging (it will be above 12.8 volts unless your running heated gear, etc). The battery should be ok..

Running 8 miles will get it plenty hot(unless your way north). I don't "get hard on the throttle" until the clutch cover is plenty warm/hot. After that, anything goes.. Just the water temp is "up to temp" doesn't mean the oil is up to temp...

Most of my riding is around town, short distances. Got 4 years out of the old battery with the BD43 mod and the idle set at 1,100, (just breaking even at 12.9 or so).

Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's ;

FAQ's (from Yuasa's site)
How should a battery be maintained?

Good battery maintenance should include the following:
1. Always keep the acid level between Lower and upper lines on front side of the container (conventional type batteries).
2. Do not let the battery stand in a discharged condition.
3. Charge battery once a month.
4. When motorcycle is stored over 30 days, plug in a Yuasa automatic battery charger to maintain a proper storage charge.
5. Keep battery top clean, dry and free of dirt.
6. Clean battery terminals to prevent corrosion. Inspect vent tube, ensuring that it is not bent, twisted or clogged.

7. Protect the battery from strong impacts or shocks.

For additional information see Yuasa's Technical Manual (1.4 mb PDF file).

FAQ's
How should a battery be maintained?

Good battery maintenance should include the following:
1. Always keep the acid level between Lower and upper lines on front side of the container (conventional type batteries).
2. Do not let the battery stand in a discharged condition.
3. Charge battery once a month.
4. When motorcycle is stored over 30 days, plug in a Yuasa automatic battery charger to maintain a proper storage charge.
5. Keep battery top clean, dry and free of dirt.
6. Clean battery terminals to prevent corrosion. Inspect vent tube, ensuring that it is not bent, twisted or clogged.

7. Protect the battery from strong impacts or shocks.

For additional information see Yuasa's Technical Manual (1.4 mb PDF file).

Why should you charge your battery once a month?

When not in use, a battery discharges on a daily basis sometimes up to 0.5-1%. This rate of discharge increases when the climate is warm. To make up for this loss from disuse, a boosting charge should be given once a month.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I will be riding my bike as little as eight miles a day now. And otherwise making shorter trips then in the past. New job, very local, gonna be a very local commuter now.

Is there anything I need to know about specific bike maintenance for short distance daily usage? I have read that running the bike keeps the battery charged, but for those days when it's all work and no play or errands is riding the bike under 50mph four miles each way going to kill the battery without notice? What do I need to know and understand about maintaining a somewhat limited use FZ6?

Perhaps I should extend my ride to work and back home? But how much? "Take the long way," as they say? 10 miles each way? Get the speed up just a little? What else should I be concerned about besides the battery?

Thanks guys :)

Thank you for the question, I ride 1.5 mile each side(office to house and vice versa). Sometimes i go for extra 5-10 miles ride just for the heck of it.
Over the weekends, i take her for a spin for about 100 miles.

What i've learned today? I shouldn't be revving the engine and do a quick speeds until i ride 3 miles in a stretch.

I live in Charlotte and now the weather should be hot/fine(for the bike) in few days.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks all. you have eased my concerns and posted useful info. i love being able to count on this community :thumbup:

so far as why not just bicycle it....well, i don't care for riding bicycles. they feel weird to me being so light and with all the pedaling. however even more so the job requires me to stand on my feet and walk on hard ground for a good 7 hours of my 8 hour shift so pedaling a bicycle before and after work is not exactly something i'd look forward to as a way of beginning and ending my work day

i suppose if i was a regular bicycle rider it might be ok, but i never have been. and i'd rather ride a motorcycle, anyway :rockon:

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in a position of using my bike as a daily too.
I usually do about 16 - 20km a day. Haven't had any problems so far in my last few months of ownership. I have now clocked up around 4000km on the bike as well and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of extra wear. I just make sure I keep the chain clean and lubed, oil changes on a regular basis (only done one so far) and overall just make sure everything works properly. I don't really seem to do anything extra than my father other than the fact he leaves his bike on charge since it only gets used every now and then.