8k service.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
Hey is there an 8000 mile service? I called the at the local yamaha dealer he said there is a big 8000 mile service coming up. He said it would take around 3 hours at 100 bucks and hour just labor plus parts. If it needs to be done Ill do it. Just wanna be sure.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the local dealership is salivating to have an opportunity to charge $100 per hour plus parts with a 3hr minimum. I never heard of the big 8k service, and if there is, well I'm almost there to get one too, another 5K and I'll be there, 16K that is.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this problem too. After thr original 600 mile service my dealer told me the service interval was 4000 miles. Naturally I had the next service at 4000 miles. If you look at the owner's handbook it says service every 6000 miles. I challenged the dealer about this (when I thought my 8,000 mile service was due) after a bit of research they agreed the interval should be 6000 miles (10,000km actually). The biggy is at 18,000.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you read the manual then you can see that a lot of the items they do in these services is just checking things. If you learn how to check them out then you can just spend 3-4 hours and check them yourself, change the oil, and only pay the dealer for the individual services that you are not comfortable doing. (Such as valve adjustments for me at 26,600 miles would be something i would pay for, other than that the 16k service has a repack of the swingarm bearing and change coolant... the spark plugs are supposed to be replaced at 8000 mile increments, but other than that is is a whole lot of looking and checking on things that they are charging you for.

The owners manual tells you what they "should" be doing during these services and i doubt that i would pay for the whole service.