A few small issues!

Jonesyfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently gained my license and purchased one of these awesome fz6 machines! :D I have a few issues I would like to bring up regarding my new ride.
Firstly, this may seem like a stupid question but what is the best way to wash my bike and keep it looking like new?
The second thing is that I have discovered a whining noise at around 70-80kph and slightly noticeable at higher speeds . It appears to be in sync with wheel speed and does not appear to change when I change gear. So I am thinking maybe wheel bearing? It only has 9400ks on the clock and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
Last but not least. My bike does not have a center stand! are there any other options available to make maintenance a little more me friendly? As I am fairly savvy with a spanner or two :)

I will appreciate any info

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

First and most importantly.. the whining noise: I wouldn't expect a bearing to be a problem at 9400km. I would clean and lube the chain and check it's adjustment. People often set them too tight and this will absolutely make a speed related whining noise.

Keeping it clean: Get a second one and park it in your living room.

No center stand... bummer. (sorry no advise except some people hang them from garage rafters or tree limbs..)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently gained my license and purchased one of these awesome fz6 machines! :D I have a few issues I would like to bring up regarding my new ride.
Firstly, this may seem like a stupid question but what is the best way to wash my bike and keep it looking like new?
The second thing is that I have discovered a whining noise at around 70-80kph and slightly noticeable at higher speeds . It appears to be in sync with wheel speed and does not appear to change when I change gear. So I am thinking maybe wheel bearing? It only has 9400ks on the clock and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
Last but not least. My bike does not have a center stand! are there any other options available to make maintenance a little more me friendly? As I am fairly savvy with a spanner or two :)

Best way to keep your bike clean...give it a decent hand wash every time after you ride it in rain. Rinse it well, and towel, or Shammy off any standing water after...dont use a jet wash if you can avoid it, cause it "injects" water into bearing cases.

Sounds like your chain might be too tight...could explain the whining...

No centre stand...get some swingarm stand bobbins, tap a thread in the swingarm, not too close to rear axle, and get a race stand...probably cheaper than buying a centre stand.

:thumbup:

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Congrats for your bike and licence and :welcome: to the fourm

Its Friday I am at work and I have nothing to do so:

My advise is try to keep the bike clean at all times

Washing

2x sponges one for the upper bit of the bike and one for the lower
1x car shampoo
rags/dusters
bucket of warm water
wax/polish
lithium based grease and some lubricant for the chain
white spirit /newspaper

optional degreaser spray

wet the bike and get rid of as much muck as you can

spray degreaser to lower parts engine/ wheels

use sponge and car shampoo wash the top bit of the bike
rinse

use sponge and car shampoo for the lower bit

rinse and use rags to dry

you can use the white spirit/newspapers to clean you chain, do not use it anywhere else as it will destroy the paintwork

grease the bike bits and lubricate chain

polish/wax

2)Noise I dont think I can help you with this but it can the wheel, the screen even the air box,front fender, the brake discs, wheel bearings are not that expensive to replace but the bike is relatively new to need bearings change

3)Central stand

You can get one from some breakers or ebay, shouldnt be a hard job. Not100% about the naked versions and center stands
FZ6

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:Jonesyfz6!
The FZ6 is an awesome bike! The FZ6 forum is the best! :rockon:

If the chain is the proper slack setting you may check that the rear wheel is aligned. When the rear wheel is misaligned the chain leaves and enters the sprockets at a harsh angle that can cause whine and premature chain and sprocket wear.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum fellow Aussie :thumbup: There are a few mwmbers in Perth now so you should all get together for a ride some day :D

As for the maintenance , a solid bar through the rear axle & a couple of car stands always did the trick for me :thumbup:

Wash it with a bucket , soapy water & a sponge ;)

And like the others have said , start with the chain tension for the whine... Or you could just have a little cheese with it :rolleyes:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

welcome to the forum.. post up some pics when you get a chance..

best way to wash:
buy s100 in a big bottle, you will love the stuff.. then some good car soap.. meguires is decent.. then a good wax.. and if you have a tj-max near you, they may have some of those mr. clean car wash gun for $5.. the rinse on it gets filtered and leaves the paint spotless..

a whine?? could be the tires.. could be the wheel bearing..

no stand?? ebay has stock ones for about $50.. :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum. Nice to see another Perth rider here. Where abouts are you? Might have seen you around.

Keeping her clean - not everyone has a great husband to do this for them (thanks Prebstar :blowkiss:). CT18 truck wash is fantastic. As is good old Mr Sheene to keep her shiny. Same goes for McGuires Motorcycle Wax. Make sure you keep the chain well lubed also - I recommend once a week/500kms.

Why don't you invest in a rear stand? There are some really good bargains on Ebay.

Last edited:

Jonesyfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies! I will check the chain tension today and see if that is the problem :) Il probably give it a wash too. Then go for a ride :D I will post my findings a bit later on.

Jonesyfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Operation success! Went and looked at the wheel alignment and chain. The alignment was good, but the chain was a little on the tight side. So I loosened it up and cleaned and lubed it. Runs like a charm now :D Thanks to all for your input once again.
BTW Kazza, I'm in the Rockingham area.

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome this is a great forum with lots of great people willing to help.

As for the stand I use an Abba stand you may find a used one on Ebay

Washing the bike:

1. Rinse with cold water
2. Wash with wash & wax car shampoo two sponges one for the
tank screen ect one for the grubby areas.
3. Rinse with cold water.
4. Spray with scottoiler FS365 or similar corrosion protection spray.

Motorcycle Stands - Abba Stands, UK

Scottoiler | Motorbike chain lube | Scottoiler fs 365

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the show........ you don't need a centre stand. Fit a Scottoiler and never look at your chain again! :D