A visit to Vélez-Blanco Castle, Spain!

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
No FZ6......that's gone! But it is a 600......and it is a Yam! So what the hell!

Out early......destination was the Castle in Vélez-Blanco, Almeria!

Riding through Orce.......and then onto Maria crossing into the province of Almeria from Granada!

xt26.jpg

xt27.jpg

Parked up at the foot of the Castle....I was the only one there!

xt25.jpg

And here it is in the background!

xt24.jpg

Now here's the story of the Castle itself! Culture Alert!

Castillo de Vélez-Blanco is located in the municipality of Vélez-Blanco, province of Almería, in the autonomous community of Andalucia, Spain.

It was built by Governor of Murcia, Pedro Fajardo, 1st Marquis of los Vélez, following his appointment as Marqués. He set the headquarters of his new dominion by undertaking the construction of the local castle on the remains of an ancient and important Islamic citadel. It is situated on a hill overlooking the town.

An important aspect of this castle is its huge tower, Torre del Homenaje, which is nearly 20 feet (6.1 m) high, an emblematic element of the castle and a symbol of the power over the dominion.

The stone structure, had wooden stairs, which could be removed in case of danger isolating the upper level as a last defense. There is a proliferation of decorative elements topping its battlements.

The building has been restored in stages during the second half of the 20th century, including the floors of the towers. In 1931, it was listed as a Bien de Interés Cultural monument.

Now some shots!

cast1.jpg

cast2.jpg

cast3.jpg

cast4.jpg

cast5.jpg

cast6.jpg

cast7.jpg

cast8.jpg

cast9.jpg

cast10.jpg

And here's a backdrop of the castle on the way out!

xt28.jpg

Perfect weather....24C and blue skies! And as usual, completely empty roads!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, I love seeing these old buildings, especially when they're that pretty :thumbup:

I think I spot a pic for the BOTM :rockon:

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I wish the XT600 was available here.

Not available over here any more either! EU emissions laws killed it off in 2003.

But one thing I've noticed is that over the last year original models have now started to become highly desirable.......and values are going up.

Nowhere near Africa Twin values.....but it looks like it's going in that direction.