Abrupt throttle?

AKjitsu

Reaction score
Visit site
Although I’ve been riding since 1967 and long ago lost track of how many motorcycles I’ve owned, I’m on my first FZ (2009) and have thus far found it to be an altogether satisfactory mount. A few things could of course be better but for the $ it’s a huge transportation value.

There is one thing that does have me a bit concerned; the nasty, jerky on/off throttle response. When one knee is scraping the pavement, that’s the sort of thing that could cause the rear (sudden on-throttle) or the front (sudden off-throttle) to head somewhere I really don’t want it to go.

The throttle play seems to be reasonable (3 MM) and the chain tension is well within spec. Is this a common characteristic of the model? And if so, is there a straightforward fix/workaround?

Thanks in advance.

AK

Do you have a Power Commender? I notice that running my bike on the fat side a bit smooth things out in the mid range. 13.0:1 to 13.5:1 is the happy zone.

Welcome to the forum,

I also found the throttle to be a real pain when I first got the FZ6. It took me ages to get used to it.
The 2007 + bikes are meant to have a smother throttle response.
The biggest thing that made a difference for me was ensuring that the idle speed was correct and the cables lubed.

Nelly

Welcome to the Fuel Cut, presented to you by the EPA. When you chop/close the throttle the fuel injectors no longer deliver fuel and the intake runners become dry. When you subsequently add throttle it takes a moment for the runners to rewet. While this is happening the bike hesitates and jerks. All bikes fuel injected bikes do this but the FZ6 is terrible. You have a couple of solutions, 1) Get a Power Commander and have a custom tune made. This involves disconnecting the O2 sensor so the bike can run closed loop vs. open loop. The throttle position range and rpm range that the O2 sensor governs. Outside of that the range the O2 sensor has no effect. Then a custom fuel map is created on a dyno for your bike and loaded into the Power Commander. 2) You can now get the ECU reflashed. ECUnleashed can reprogram your ECU and eliminate fuel cut and make your bike happy. http://ecunleashed.com/

On my FZ6 back in 2008 I used a Power Commander and a custom tune. It made a very big difference in rideability. Fast forward to 2011 I now own an FZ1. I currently have a Power Commander on that bike but I'm working with ECUnleashed to have developed a flash for the bike’s early 2006 ECU. The changes a reflash can do vs. a Power Commander are night and day.

The PC only changes fuel delivery, where as a reflash changes/updates all areas of the ECU; fuel, timing, governing, fuel cut, etc, etc.

ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application) * Remove Factory Timing Retard * Remove Throttle Restrictions * Increased Idle * Increased Rev Limit * Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent) * Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration * Improved Throttle Control & Reaction * Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration * Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper) * Improved Fuel Maps * Improved Ignition Maps * Injector Phasing Adjustment * Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only) * Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations “Return to Stock” Option All ECU’s can be reprogrammed back to it’s stock settings at anytime. (fee’s will apply) ECUnleashed performance Tune Files have been Dyno tested and tuned for maximum performance. While most vehicles show a 6-10% increased in power, we have seen vehicles result in as high as +20% power gains.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the same problem with the throttle, and I'm really glad I saw your post. If I ride more and ride more frequently I manage it better, but I pretty much always try to roll on the throttle before entering a turn just because the mid-turn roll-on alters the handling too much for comfort. I'm looking into that ECU thing, but it sounds involved and expensive. I have to dyno my bike? Is it possible for people who have done it to share the output from the dyno and see if they're all pretty much the same? Or is it pretty much known that every bike is different enough that you're gonna want to dyno your bike for results that will make the ROM change worthwhile?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Fuel Cut, presented to you by the EPA. When you chop/close the throttle the fuel injectors no longer deliver fuel and the intake runners become dry. When you subsequently add throttle it takes a moment for the runners to rewet. While this is happening the bike hesitates and jerks. All bikes fuel injected bikes do this but the FZ6 is terrible. You have a couple of solutions, 1) Get a Power Commander and have a custom tune made. This involves disconnecting the O2 sensor so the bike can run closed loop vs. open loop. The throttle position range and rpm range that the O2 sensor governs. Outside of that the range the O2 sensor has no effect. Then a custom fuel map is created on a dyno for your bike and loaded into the Power Commander. 2) You can now get the ECU reflashed. ECUnleashed can reprogram your ECU and eliminate fuel cut and make your bike happy. | Performance ECU Flashing-Remapping & Tuning Company- ECUnleashed Tuning Technology

On my FZ6 back in 2008 I used a Power Commander and a custom tune. It made a very big difference in rideability. Fast forward to 2011 I now own an FZ1. I currently have a Power Commander on that bike but I'm working with ECUnleashed to have developed a flash for the bike’s early 2006 ECU. The changes a reflash can do vs. a Power Commander are night and day.

The PC only changes fuel delivery, where as a reflash changes/updates all areas of the ECU; fuel, timing, governing, fuel cut, etc, etc.

ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application) * Remove Factory Timing Retard * Remove Throttle Restrictions * Increased Idle * Increased Rev Limit * Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent) * Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration * Improved Throttle Control & Reaction * Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration * Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper) * Improved Fuel Maps * Improved Ignition Maps * Injector Phasing Adjustment * Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only) * Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations “Return to Stock” Option All ECU’s can be reprogrammed back to it’s stock settings at anytime. (fee’s will apply) ECUnleashed performance Tune Files have been Dyno tested and tuned for maximum performance. While most vehicles show a 6-10% increased in power, we have seen vehicles result in as high as +20% power gains.

$$$$ Awesome post thanks for sharing the link!!!!! $$$$

Thanks
FP

Last edited:
I added the PCIII with a "stock" map and it made the on/off throttle transition much better. It is till there at times, but it is no longer the jarring smack that it once was. It used to be very unerving in the twisties before the PCIII.
I have not had a custom map done yet. My bike has the stock airbox and exhaust

Yeah, I have the same problem with the throttle, and I'm really glad I saw your post. If I ride more and ride more frequently I manage it better, but I pretty much always try to roll on the throttle before entering a turn just because the mid-turn roll-on alters the handling too much for comfort. I'm looking into that ECU thing, but it sounds involved and expensive. I have to dyno my bike? Is it possible for people who have done it to share the output from the dyno and see if they're all pretty much the same? Or is it pretty much known that every bike is different enough that you're gonna want to dyno your bike for results that will make the ROM change worthwhile?

For the reflash you don't need to dyno your bike. All you do is mail your ECU to a retailer, they flash your ECU and mail it back to you. Compared to buying a Power Commander, dynoing the bike, etc. This appears to be an outstanding deal.

The reflash is much more than a new fuel map; it is ignition, injector phasing (pulse length), fuel cut, deceleration map, map per gear, lifting of gear restrictions, etc. (See my first post for more details) Power Commander doesn't come close. To mod my FZ1 with Power Commander stuff I would need a PC3, $270, PC IM, $300, FCE, $200, custom tune $350, for a total of $1,120, and the bike would still have 1st through 3rd gears goverened. For $450 I can get a 95+% solution.

Check out their web site and read the magazine articles about the process and the results.

The map for my FZ1 isn't done yet. They've been slammed so programing has been slow. The ECU is very complex, 80 plus maps that are much more detailed than a Power Commander map.

As far as different maps, once you have a custom map made they are very similar to one another.

Welcome to the forum,

I also found the throttle to be a real pain when I first got the FZ6. It took me ages to get used to it.
The 2007 + bikes are meant to have a smother throttle response.
The biggest thing that made a difference for me was ensuring that the idle speed was correct and the cables lubed.

Nelly

Aha! Bumping the idle up to 1,500 RPM helped immensely. . As a highly subjective observation, I’d say 75% of the problem went away with just this modification. Still requires a thoughtful application of the right hand but now it’s at least manageable.

Thanks much!

Yeah, it's annoying. I just ensure the cable is 100% where i want it, properly lubed.
I let my bike idle really low, so it's a trick i guess, clutch helps, but a smooth right hand helps more! Just gently open her.

Aha! Bumping the idle up to 1,500 RPM helped immensely. . As a highly subjective observation, I’d say 75% of the problem went away with just this modification. Still requires a thoughtful application of the right hand but now it’s at least manageable.

Thanks much!
Same as mate,
I run the Idle a bit higher, it's cheap and it has a reasonable effect.
I would like an ECU tune though. Something to consider for the winter.

Nelly

It is too bad that the cost is so high. I realize that it is far less that doing the power commander, and all related items, but if it was $300 it would be an easier pill to swallow. Plus I think a lot more people would be willing to do it!

John

Welcome to the Fuel Cut, presented to you by the EPA. When you chop/close the throttle the fuel injectors no longer deliver fuel and the intake runners become dry. When you subsequently add throttle it takes a moment for the runners to rewet. While this is happening the bike hesitates and jerks. All bikes fuel injected bikes do this but the FZ6 is terrible. You have a couple of solutions, 1) Get a Power Commander and have a custom tune made. This involves disconnecting the O2 sensor so the bike can run closed loop vs. open loop. The throttle position range and rpm range that the O2 sensor governs. Outside of that the range the O2 sensor has no effect. Then a custom fuel map is created on a dyno for your bike and loaded into the Power Commander. 2) You can now get the ECU reflashed. ECUnleashed can reprogram your ECU and eliminate fuel cut and make your bike happy. | MotorSport ECU Tuning | Flashing | Remapping | Chip Tuning – ECUnleashed Tuning Technology: The Go To…To Go Fast Company

On my FZ6 back in 2008 I used a Power Commander and a custom tune. It made a very big difference in rideability. Fast forward to 2011 I now own an FZ1. I currently have a Power Commander on that bike but I'm working with ECUnleashed to have developed a flash for the bike’s early 2006 ECU. The changes a reflash can do vs. a Power Commander are night and day. Anything you could put in the middle would be great.

Well stated. The benefits of a ECU flashing sound as though they surely out weigh the cons. I just bought a 2009 S2 off the show room. All I can think is fresh canvas. Last week when riding, I noticed the abrupt throttle response several times...It wasn't comforting. I guess my next question is what are the complications to flash a Cal bike? And are there really any if I can just convert the bike back to the original map?

That said...not to get the cart before the horse. But I was thinking of ecu flashing the bike coupled with the Leo Vince Evo II/carbon exhaust part#8284 specifically because the exhaust kit eliminates the third cat on the downpipe. Should I Install the pipe first and have them build the map around the pipe? And if that's the case should have it actually dyno'd first? If anybody has experience on this matter, your input is welcome.

Last edited:
Back