Acuman Digi Gear - Easy Mod

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
You have wired it up correct, this is a common fault on the FZ6/FAZER, you need to fit a diode in the DG8 green wire from the ECU which you can get free from ACUMEN, e-mail or phone them with you deatils/bike/fault etc and they'll pop one in the post, very helpful lads.:thumbup:

Acumen Electronics

Thanks man! :thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Happy New year mate, When you back from your posting.

Neil

Happy new year also Neil ... have a good one ..

I'm in the UK at the moment ... had my Falklands trip delayed til May15th now :) just in time for a nice south atlantic winter !!

You'll have to improve on asteroids mate :) we have a battle !!

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i received the diode in the post during the week, 19 days after it was posted from England to Ireland. :confused: Anyway, i installed it yesterday and it's sorted the problem. I am happy now and an very happy with the Acumen which seems to be working perfectly! Thanks again for the help guys! :rockon::thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i received the diode in the post during the week, 19 days after it was posted from England to Ireland. :confused: Anyway, i installed it yesterday and it's sorted the problem. I am happy now and an very happy with the Acumen which seems to be working perfectly! Thanks again for the help guys! :rockon::thumbup:

Glad you resolved your issues Del ... Its a great bit of kit and I hope it assists you as much as it does me ;)

No more 7th gear :D

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site
Fitted - brilliant - love it!!

Top write up mate, well impressed!

Don't know if i was being slow, but the job took me about 3 hours this evening, though I reckon 1 of those hours was trying to get the b*ggers of fuel tank connectors off :)

Also, I had two black with brown dots wires on my bike to choose from.

However, all done and all good! Very pleased. Looking forward to taking it to the track

Phil

View attachment 1969
View attachment 1970
View attachment 1971

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
This looks like a really handy bit of kit, couple of questions from a newb though :p

How does it cope in direct sunlight (the blue I mean)? I know the red is usually better under such conditions but blue looks so damn fine ;)

Also, with the soldering, is it better to cut the wires on the loom or just remove enough insulation to solder the wire from the DG? Oh and Hi! first posting :Flash:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks like a really handy bit of kit, couple of questions from a newb though :p

How does it cope in direct sunlight (the blue I mean)? I know the red is usually better under such conditions but blue looks so damn fine ;)

Also, with the soldering, is it better to cut the wires on the loom or just remove enough insulation to solder the wire from the DG? Oh and Hi! first posting :Flash:

Firstly WELCOME !!!

In answer to your questions, it is fantastic in direct sunlight. I haven't had any issues at all with it.

As for the soldering, I chose to bare a little bit of the wire and solder directly onto it rather that cut it. Dealers choice I suppose.

;)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Top write up mate, well impressed!

Don't know if i was being slow, but the job took me about 3 hours this evening, though I reckon 1 of those hours was trying to get the b*ggers of fuel tank connectors off :)

Also, I had two black with brown dots wires on my bike to choose from.

However, all done and all good! Very pleased. Looking forward to taking it to the track

Phil

View attachment 1969
View attachment 1970
View attachment 1971

Looks like a job well done mate, glad the write up helped. :)

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the soldering iron to melt a small section of sheath off the wire, then soldered directly onto the wire. IMO, there isn't really the space to cut and splice or to use scotch connectors. Helpful hint - hang a wander lamp from the top of the tank and sit on a kitchen stool, so you can work at your leisure :) Phil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is it actually going to do Jonna? I couldn't open the link, is it just a gear indicator?

Nelly

fz6.george

Reaction score
Visit site

delboy,

can you post the pic which wire to put the diode

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed one on my bike about 2 months ago and love it. Nice to know what gear your in if in doubt. I still keep track of the gears without looking at the indicator. It's really nice to be able to look down real quick sometimes and know.

Steve McC

Reaction score
Visit site
Fitted one of the DG8s to my wifes bike (2008 FZ6 S2) last night and am having problems programming it. When anyone else has installed one and programmed it, how long did it take roughly in each gear for the DG8 to go from a flashing number (e.g. 1) to the three bars to the next gear number? When I tried to programme it, I got as far as to the point where you put the bike into 1st gear, and you should then wait for the flashing “1” to change to 3 bars. All that happens with me is that the “1” just keeps flashing. Gave up after about 1.5 minutes. Re-tried it a few times following the instructions, but still no joy.

I’m going to re-check the wiring again tonight (already done this one, but will do it again in a calmer frame of mind!), as it looks like I’ve done something wrong somewhere. As the DG8 powers on and detects when Neutral is selected, I reckon it can only be something to do with the connections to the speedo wire or tacho wire.

Cheers

Steve

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I programed all six gears on mine in no time at all.Sounds like your on the right track with checking the wiring though , did you solder the connections ?
It is best to.I will find my wiring specs and post here.
From earlier in the thread ,in case you missed it .
Digi Wire connect to ECU male connector
RED ----------------> RED with white stripe + brown dots
BROWN ----------------> GREY with brown dots
BLACK ----------------> BLACK with brown dots
ORANGE ----------------> WHITE with yellow stripe and brown dots

The GREEN wire needs soldering to a seperate light blue wire coming off the white connector.

Last edited:

Steve McC

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Yep, I had soldered all of the connections. I don't trust those splicing connectors at all! Think I'm getting there now. Also contacted Acumen support yesterday who were very helpful. They suggested a couple of checks after I had re-checked all of the wiring. It turned out that I needed to swap over the DG8 orange and brown wires (speedo and tacho connections) even though I had connected them to the "correct" wires on the bike. I have now managed to get the DG8 programmed up to 5th gear. I had to give up at that point as the time was 23:00 and the neighbours curtains were twitching as the bike was revving at about 3,000 RPM and making more noise than they liked! On mine, it was taking longer on each gear for the DG8 to programme itself. By the time I'd got to 5th gear, I'd been running it in that gear for about 45 seconds. Will re-programme it this evening, and hopefully that should finish it off.

I'll ask Acumen what the significance is of swappin the orange and brown wires over from the recommended connections.