Acumen DGV Gear + Voltage Indicator - INSTALLED!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
UPDATE: I've been having an intermittant issue with the DGV unit sometimes not shutting off. I sent an email to Acumen about it:

I have a DGV unit installed for some time now, but every now and then the voltmeter wont shut off. This has happend 3 or 4 times now and this morning I came down to find the voltmeter still on from last night! This seems to be very intermittant and I was wondering if you've experienced any problems like this with the DGV units and if you know what might be causing this? Nothing has changed in my wiring since the day I installed it. I have had the battery disconnected several times. I've never had to re-prgram the unit when reconnecting the battery. Any assitance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Acumen's response:

Hi Dave,

Yes, we have seen it. It seems the DGV will sometimes not switch off at night. Once it has switched off, it stays switched off. We’ve changed a resistor value on the PCB which has cured this anomaly. Please get the head unit back to us David with a copy of this email and we’ll get it changed over.

David Martin
Acumen Electronics Ltd
15 Glenmore Bus Park
Colebrook Way
Andover
SP10 3GQ
UK

When I think about when the unit would not turn off it was in fact every time at night or in my garage with the lights out.

I will be sending it back to them for a replacement. So far, top notch 1st class customer serivce from Acumen!! Both with this issue and the diode!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
UPDATE: So I finally got around to sending my DGV head unit back to Acumen for replacement a few weeks ago. Well, guess what came in the mail today....a FULL, new replacment DGV unit!! Not just a new head unit, but a brand new unit, in box and with wiring harness and everything!

Wow.

That my friends is customer service and is a big reason you should consider Acumen if you are looking for a gear indicator!!

Not only did they admit to a design issue and not try to blame it on an end useror possible installation issue, but then offer to replace the unit for free AND then send me a complete new unit in the end!

Wow.

Thanks again Mr. Dave Martin and everyone at Acumen! You guys are top notch in my books!

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
UPDATE...again:
Well it apears that the replacement unit that Acumen sent me is experiencing the same problems as the original unit and still not shutting off in low light conditions. So I emailed them once again and they were confused as to why it was still happening, but were right on top of it and are sending me yet another unit that they assure me they have tested and it's working correctly.

Acumen has turned what could have been a really annyoing problem and could have played the 'blame game' with me (perhaps your wired it up wrong?; did you follow the instructions?) but instead clearly stated that it was their problem and they would do everything to correct it and they have. They never once asked or suggested it was something I did nor asked for the 2nd unit back before shipipng me the 3rd! (I will be shiping it back to them becasue I'm a nice guy and they have been nice to me).

The funny thing is, and what I wish more retialers would recognize this, is that becasue the situation is being handled so well, I'm not even the least bit upset or mad about it! Poop just happens sometimes.

Acumen is doing a top notch job in doing everything they can to keep the customer happy. Hopefully one day they will get to the bottom of how/why some of these DGV units don't shut off properly.

Paul from Acumen just emailed to let me know that the 3rd unit is in the post on it's way to me! Keep your fingers crossed.