Aftermarket rear indicator drama!

Jeppo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!
Complete newbie on this forum, fz6's and customising in general
I'm completely baffled by the following problem

I own a 05 fz6 s2
I have just installed a Dominator exhaust, LED rear tail/brake light, tail tidy with single LED no. Plate light with to Arrow carbon look rear indicators

My problem is that when installed, the indicator won't work together. If the grey (left side indicator connector is connected the left indicator works,
If the black ( right side indicator ) is connected the right indicator works.
But both together connected results in only the left indicator working,
In addition to that main problem my hazards don't work now.

Before fixing in place I tested the wiring by connecting to the bike and all worked fine as it should, it's strange that it doesn't work after installing on the bike.

I'm assuming that the bike hasn't got enough juice to power all the new lights, but having said that I also thought that LEDs consumed less power?

Is anybody out there handy with electrics and willing to assist on this forum?
Or has anybody encounter this problem before?
Is scoured the forum for a relevant thread and It looks like I'm the first with this problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe with the LED turn signals, you'll need a different directional relay, one for the lighter load of the LEDs vs the standard bulbs..

Re the rest of your issues, don't know. Someone will chime in or PM Cliff (Motogiro) for assistance..:thumbup:

Jeppo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,
I should mention the new rear indicators are not LED.

When I connected the wires before installing they all worked fine, I unplugged all connectors then finished the install, at first no of the rear indicators, no plate light, tail light worked, after I unplugged and reinstalled again the indicators developed the issues described above.

Sorry to sound like such a newbie but who is cliff?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

When I connected the wires before installing they all worked fine, I unplugged all connectors then finished the install, at first no of the rear indicators, no plate light, tail light worked, after I unplugged and reinstalled again the indicators developed the issues described above.

Cliff, (Motogiro), is, IMO, the most electrical knowledgeable moderator here (or anywhere). If he can't fix something electrical, it must have been literally burned up. There are many others here as well, VERY QUALIFIED, that can also help with your issues (electrical is NOT my strongest area).

Re your issues, you might want to check your grounds. A bad ground will cause all kinds of issues.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not getting a clear picture here; the OEM rear brake and running light was replaced by an LED brake/Run/Turn indicator and you ALSO have aftermarket incandescent bulbs as turn stalks??

The OEM setup has three wires IIRC for RUN, Brake, Plate, and ground.
Then two separate 3 pin connectors (2 conductors) for each left and right turn.

How did you tap the turn indicators out for the stalks?

WHat is likely is that the incandescent bulbs are allowing a path to ground if I interpreted that correctly. It could be you need a simple diode in there to correct it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Jeppo!

:welcome:to our big family!

It sounds like the issue is load related to your flasher. The new indicator lamps may provide a load the the OEM will not work correctly with. Insure that the wiring is correct. You can order an electronic type flasher that will work for a very wide load range and may solve your issue. :)

Scott,
Thank you for your confidence in me!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

Does your LED tail light use the indicator circuit or is it a separate running light and brake light circuit? Are the indicator light on their own circuit?

Jeppo

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to be clear on the setup I've got and thanks for the assist guys!

LED rear running and brake, but not with built in indicator,
LED plate light
Which all work fine.
I've got incandescent rear stalks which have the problem.

As for wiring,
It was a splicing job as the indicators n plate light had different connectors,
But I was extremely mythodical:rockon: in checking each wire and splice.
Black to black, green to green and brown to brown and so on
Not sure if the lights share a circuit but they all worked fine before fixing in place
Very odd!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might take a look at this - its actaully the opposite of your setup but nearly the same problem. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/43909-what-the2wheels-dont-tell-you-led-stalks.html

I kept the OEM incandescent brake and tail lamp. I added stalks that have; run LEDs red (low power shared), Brake LEDs (same as run LEDs but higher power applied to extra brightness), yellow turn indicators.

My problem was this; bench test LED stalks were fine. On the bike, the Run LEDs did not light as there was path for current through the 1157 OEM brake lamp. I used a 1N5001 series diode to block current flow through the bulb and all is well.

Question; do your turn stalks also have running lamps or just turn indicators? how many wires do they have?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to a thread I stickied a while back. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/42693-electronic-flasher-relays-great-price.html

It sounds like you have your indicators separate and it does sound like it's a load related problem. The only puzzle I see is why will the left side work or the right side work when they are hooked up discretely but not when both are attached? Check and be sure the polarity on each side is correct. Are the front indicators functioning? When you hook the new indicators up discretely do the front and back work in unison (not opposite)? Front and back indicators should light together at the same time.

Please let us know what you discover. :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to a thread I stickied a while back. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/42693-electronic-flasher-relays-great-price.html

It sounds like you have your indicators separate and it does sound like it's a load related problem. The only puzzle I see is why will the left side work or the right side work when they are hooked up discretely but not when both are attached? Check and be sure the polarity on each side is correct. Are the front indicators functioning? When you hook the new indicators up discretely do the front and back work in unison (not opposite)? Front and back indicators should light together at the same time.

Please let us know what you discover. :)

I think Scott hit right the first time with a bad ground. The switch is open one side. Still don't see why this would impact blinkers. They are pretty much independent.

Jeppo

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks for your help !

Problem solved.
It was faulty splicing to blame,

Had a successful day in the garage, repaired indicators, fitted front led indicators and a KnN air filter. Also greased and adjusted clutch cable