Almost hit a dog....some people should not own pets!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever had an encounter with a dog on the road?

[rant] I swear....what kind of person who lives right next to a busy road just lets their dog run loose, no tie out, no invisible fence, nothing!?! I have 2 dogs myself and would never let them just run if my yard were not fenced. Technically there is a pretty hefty fine if your dog is caught leaving your property without being on a leash in my area. These people just don't care.

On the way back to the office today after lunch (on the FZ6), I came around a corner to see this large (70-90lb) dog in the owner's yard about 50' from the road. As I approached at ~45mph the dog bolted for me barking and he was leading me at the perfect angle to intercept! Instinctively I twisted the throttle and got up to about 60 mph just in time to miss him by inches in the middle of the road as I passed. I don't know what would of happened if I had maintained my original speed but it could have been bad.

What kind if incompetent owner lets their dog run free by a road? Especially if the dog likes to chase cars/bikes? I don't know how it hasn't been run over already. [/rant]

Last edited:

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend who cut a coyote right it half (I kid you not!) on his S1000RR.
Wrote off the bike, and ruined his leathers, but he did walk away from it..:eek:

Obvioulsy he was really moving at the time, and the "dog" jumped out of the ditch to cross the road, right in front of him..to his demise.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those dog owners are the same people who try to share lanes with us / don't see us at intersections / text while they drive. Very sad, but a common occurrence here (mostly happens to me in East PA).

You did the right thing by twisting the throttle. Ideally, if you spot the dog early enough, you can first roll off to make it change its interception point and then roll on, but if you spot it late, twisting is about your only option.

This happened to me once while I was riding a bicycle in PA... can't twist throttle :(

AND it was a pit-bull. It chomped down on my foot and released immediately. (Luckily my cycling shoes are very tough and the bite didn't even make it through top layer). The owners, sitting in the yard and watching the whole thing were the opposite of apologetic. I was happy to ride out of there without getting shot. Awesome :rolleyes:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those dog owners are the same people who try to share lanes with us / don't see us at intersections / text while they drive. Very sad, but a common occurrence here (mostly happens to me in East PA).

You did the right thing by twisting the throttle. Ideally, if you spot the dog early enough, you can first roll off to make it change its interception point and then roll on, but if you spot it late, twisting is about your only option.

This happened to me once while I was riding a bicycle in PA... can't twist throttle :(

AND it was a pit-bull. It chomped down on my foot and released immediately. (Luckily my cycling shoes are very tough and the bite didn't even make it through top layer). The owners, sitting in the yard and watching the whole thing were the opposite of apologetic. I was happy to ride out of there without getting shot. Awesome :rolleyes:

Lot of idiotic people in this world. Especially the ones who have mixed or purely bred bully type dogs that they just let run free, all of which get dubbed as "Pit Bulls" even though most of these dogs are not actually American Pitbull terrier breeds but any attack by a dog that is a not a lab, shepherd or poodles is automatically a "Pit bull attack". My dog is the most friendly, lovable, comfortable around strangers American Pitbull Terrier you will ever meet...it annoys me when people think he's dangerous just by looking at him.

My dangerous "Pitbull": http://youtu.be/o7S9HROi4B4

Sorry for the sidetrack there. :rolleyes:

I remember being chased by dogs all the time on my bicycle. Something about 2 wheels that just makes them go nuts I guess. :cheer:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a few dogs here and there while riding and haven't experienced one that looked even remotely interested in me. I also don't spend a lot of time putting around neighborhoods, either.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a few dogs here and there while riding and haven't experienced one that looked even remotely interested in me. I also don't spend a lot of time putting around neighborhoods, either.

I was not driving through a neighborhood, this was in the country on a backroad where more dogs just run free. I think the Scorpion exhaust made him want to give chase :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
..."Pit bull attack"...

Don't get me started. Pit bulls get a bad name because they're treated like shiit/caged/trained for fighting. I believe with VERY FEW, if not zero exceptions, 100% of dog behavior comes from their upbringing.

I've seen the most adorable and lovable german shepherds/pit bulls and downright nasty beagles and retrievers.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get me started. Pit bulls get a bad name because they're treated like shiit/caged/trained for fighting. I believe with VERY FEW, if not zero exceptions, 100% of dog behavior comes from their upbringing.

I've seen the most adorable and lovable german shepherds/pit bulls and downright nasty beagles and retrievers.

Exactly. That's why I don't blame this dog for chasing my FZ6...I blame its owners. :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lot of idiotic people in this world. Especially the ones who have mixed or purely bred bully type dogs that they just let run free, all of which get dubbed as "Pit Bulls" even though most of these dogs are not actually American Pitbull terrier breeds but any attack by a dog that is a not a lab, shepherd or poodles is automatically a "Pit bull attack". My dog is the most friendly, lovable, comfortable around strangers American Pitbull Terrier you will ever meet...it annoys me when people think he's dangerous just by looking at him.

My dangerous "Pitbull": Diesel and Axel savage wrestle fight - YouTube

I remember being chased by dogs all the time on my bicycle. Something about 2 wheels that just makes them go nuts I guess. :cheer:

Yeah don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against pitbulls.. I love them, actually. This was, however, a perfect example of the crappy pitbull owner which earned the breed a bad name.

I have to tell you when you see a pitbull charging you at full speed like it means it.. there's just nothing cute or funny about it.

100% owner's fault.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Was riding up the street not far from home. A pregnant woman (cute too) who had to pick up her small dog because a young dog ran out across the street, barking at her and her dog. I moved to the opposite side of the street and slowed to maybe 15MPH when the dog turned and ran back across the street RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Good thing I was going slow as just nailed the brakes and stopped. The owner ran up and picked the dog up - I said something to him about keeping up with his dog. There is a leash law in the city.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the dog was feeling entitled like its owner, and figured you where on his street and you should yield..............

Happens in DC all the time

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site

My dangerous "Pitbull": Diesel and Axel savage wrestle fight - YouTube

I LOVE that video!!! (and how you had to tell your pug to settle down) :BLAA:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against pitbulls.. I love them, actually. This was, however, a perfect example of the crappy pitbull owner which earned the breed a bad name.

I have to tell you when you see a pitbull charging you at full speed like it means it.. there's just nothing cute or funny about it.

100% owner's fault.

To me, ANY dog charging full speed at me is going to require me to change my shorts.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Dogs have amazing interception calculating skills.

Best thing to do when a dog is coming at you like that is change your speed randomly. IE slow down then speed up then down a few times. That will throw off his calculations and most likely cause him to miss the interception.

Crazy though, anything bigger than 1 meal charging at me while on a bike would be intense.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I LOVE that video!!! (and how you had to tell your pug to settle down) :BLAA:

The two dogs make a very odd pair but they are best buds. The pug is always the one who starts any play time. He will steal the pitbull's toy and run around the yard taunting him till he gives chase and then what you saw in the video ensues. :popcorn:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My biggest fear from a dog charging me is how much harm would come to it, not me. One well-timed kick and it could be over. Of course, I'm an animal lover, and have no idea if I could do that. Never know... inside that charging dog's head could be, "OMG OMG PERSON YAAAY!!! IMMA LICK YOU SO HARD!!!"

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My biggest fear from a dog charging me is how much harm would come to it, not me. One well-timed kick and it could be over. Of course, I'm an animal lover, and have no idea if I could do that. Never know... inside that charging dog's head could be, "OMG OMG PERSON YAAAY!!! IMMA LICK YOU SO HARD!!!"

Don't kick .. use the slow down/speed up approach. No sense in hurting the dog and possibly losing control in the process.