An 1125R for $2500??? Should I do it???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I swear I've had only one beer today...so here's the twisted tale and a brief look into the functioning of my brain...

So yesterday I'm looking through Cycle Trader on line and I find an ad for a Buell 1125R for only $7,995. Yes brand new in Florida. List on this puppy is $11,500. For those newer members I first need to bring you up to speed on this tale.

When I was leaving Iraq back in September of '07 I was cooling my heels in Kuwait waiting to catch a flight home. I was killing time in the internet cafe and I stumbled onto a review of the not yet released Buell 1125R. Long story short, I was hooked...a cool, unique, goofy bike.

As I head across the sandy, rock post to go talk to the Oversea Sales guy, and nice Brit. He's selling Ford, Dodge, Harley and of course Buell. Long story short I put down $500 and order one. The problem is there is no a delivery date as Buell was in the process to making the manufacturing line. Another long story short, September becomes January '08 and I am quoted a delivery date of June '08. F that, and I bought the FZ and have loved every mile.

So fast forward to last night and I bump into this ad > 2008 BUELL 1125R for sale in Ocala, FL: MOTORCYCLE - CycleTrader.com and my jaw hits the ground. I fill out the query form and fire it off to the dealer.

This morning I get a call from "Mike" at Ocala Harley in Florida and he lays out the deal.

1) Bike: $7995
2) Deal stuff: $650
3) Texas Taxes: about $650
4) Shipping to my door step: $700

Total Price: $9995

This bike in town can be had for no cheaper than $9995 BEFORE dealer mark ups.

So here's the plan....:sinister:

1) Apply for Harley credit, finance 75% - $7,500
2) Send draft for 25% down - $2,500
3) Sell FZ - $5,000ish
4) Sell Mods - $2200ish

Use $$$ from sale of bike and mods to pay off loan. I figure I can sell the bike and goodies in about a two month time span and pay off the loan.

Net, net - $2,500 and I have a brand new 1125R.

I am I nuts or what? Wait, please don't answer that.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you're nuts at all, sounds like a sweet deal. I love the look of the Buell, seen a few of the nakeds around here, and they look cool.

If it's what you want, do it mate... And you'll be wearing a grin as big as the Canyon for months.

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pete, is it a possibilty that you can buy the Buell, and keep the FZ?

Both bikes are great bikes, but very different, maybe keep the FZ for touring duties, and the Buell for sports riding, city cruises, etc.

just a thought.

I really like the Buell though....tough choice!

Good luck, i am thinking you will bite the bullet and go for it.

:thumbup:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you definitely like the Buell - so my only question is would it change your mind if you didn't get all the cash you mapped out for the FZ and mods and you ended being 3500 out-of-pocket or something? If you'd still be happy b/c you got the 1125 for a good price then it sounds like you're on the way to a new bike.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you read many reviews on the Buell? A guy I know had one and was back and forth to the Harley dealership trying to resolve a rough idle/hesitation issue which was never accomplished. The mechanics finally told him to basically get used to it because of the engine design, ran great above 2k or so, but was awful at slow speeds. Have no idea if it was just that particular 1125 or common in the model. I rode it several times and it definitely was a problem.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the insurance difference? Either way, that's a cheap way to get into a bigger bike. It looks pretty sweet, too!

Great question. The lizard will sell me one year for $680 at 100/300/50, $500 deduc, and 50/100 uninsured.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you definitely like the Buell - so my only question is would it change your mind if you didn't get all the cash you mapped out for the FZ and mods and you ended being 3500 out-of-pocket or something? If you'd still be happy b/c you got the 1125 for a good price then it sounds like you're on the way to a new bike.

No if I don't get all of the $$$ that is okay.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you read many reviews on the Buell? A guy I know had one and was back and forth to the Harley dealership trying to resolve a rough idle/hesitation issue which was never accomplished. The mechanics finally told him to basically get used to it because of the engine design, ran great above 2k or so, but was awful at slow speeds. Have no idea if it was just that particular 1125 or common in the model. I rode it several times and it definitely was a problem.

I think I've read every word published about it. They are on their third ECU program and it seems to have solved the issue. I asked about the recalls and this bike has had all of them done. I've also read that some of the guys are trying a new 5 jet FI that comes in the 09. Looks like you only need two FIs. The 09s are supposed to be spot on.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That really doesn't seem all that bad. I expected it to be worse.

There is an odd story here. I called Gieco back in Dec for the FZ and they quoted $1050. My current company, American Modern is $298 for the FZ.

All of the quotes I got today for the Buell were between $1500 and $2050, and I'm 44, married, no tickets, no accidents, no nothing, OUCH! This project almost stopped before it started.

I called Gieco in a whim and I was pleasantly surprised. The only other company that was close was Foremost and they were $725. Foremost was also $285 for the FZ, never heard of them but very good pricing.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
There is an odd story here. I called Gieco back in Dec for the FZ and they quoted $1050. My current company, American Modern is $298 for the FZ.

All of the quotes I got today for the Buell were between $1500 and $2050, and I'm 44, married, no tickets, no accidents, no nothing, OUCH! This project almost stopped before it started.

I called Gieco in a whim and I was pleasantly surprised. The only other company that was close was Foremost and they were $725. Foremost was also $285 for the FZ, never heard of them but very good pricing.

I do not know much about Foremost either, but my auto insurance would not give me insurance on a sportsbike, but they went through Foremost for me and got me the best deal. So far, so good.

Last edited:

cmarsdavis

Reaction score
Visit site

I just got my FZ a couple of months ago and I'm using Foremost. They were by far the cheapest I could find. My former insurance (Progressive) was twice as high. I figure, as long as they're covering me, I'm good to go. I don't want to pay twice as much just for a name (although I do that in almost every one of my non insurance purchases, i.e. all of my Sony products, my Apple laptop, and my Nike shoes :thumbup:).

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Stupid Question but ... Would you really buy something that expensive just from a couple of pictures ??? I agree that bike is sweeeet but I would want to see it in person .. gl in what ever you choose
Greg A.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fair question Greg. The dealer has 7 bikes, all are new and the shipping is insured by them. I've seen 20 or so of the bike a various dealers, sat on them, gone, "VRRRROOOMMMM, VRRRRROOOOMMMM, VROOOOMMMM!" on the show room floor. :rolleyes: So it really isn't as blind of a purchase as it may seem.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No.

It's a paint shaker with skin. Hardly-Ableson.

Don't shoot the messenger...

It sounds as if you've read-up on the bike. But I've read your criticism of our rear suspension being a non-linkage set-up. Granted, the buell's got a showa shock but it's non-linkage, too.

While the front wheel looks pretty trick, I don't know if I'd want to ride that on the roads I have to ride.

Belt drive? Seriously? I'm sure that I'll get some, er, guidance, on this one.

It's got a ram air set-up, that's kinda cool. But the intake ducts look like a$$. IMHO And their own site says ya gotta be going over 80mph to realize any effect. Maybe that's normal for ram air. But for real world riding, what's the point? Ugly ducts...

Serious sportbike ergos, homey. I know you're not a spring chicken. You've got risers on an FZ6! Helloooooo

The front fairing looks like it came off of an AMC Pacer.

But hey, Pete, you've got to do what makes you happy. If you think you'd be happier on that thing, then there it is. Be happy brother.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had Foremost for a few years but no claims so couldn't tell you anything about them.

Do you have a Buell / Harley dealer near you? You have read more than me but I did read it gets really, Really hot. If so, that could ruin your summer riding. My gen1 FJR is a ball cooker once temps push into the 90's. Just no fun but then but I did ride close to 200 miles today in temps between 38-46, no heat problems.

Because of all the trouble I have heard about Buell and trying to get parts from those Italian's for any motor problems-good luck! It would not be my choice of bikes but a man gotta do what a mans gotta do! With the right pipe twins do sound way cool.