An OLD, old, New Rider

Wiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hit all,

I'm new to the forum too. Just picked up a '07 in the slow blue color. My 2004 1200S Bandit was the "slow" blue color too, but all some saw of that was the fast red taillight dissappearing into the darkness ahead of them, or it glowing as they pulled into the rest stop to join me. I like slow blue bikes! My new bike has only 400 miles and warranty through 2013. I was looking to replace my Wee-Strom, but couldn't find a used one in my area priced right. By old, I've been licensed to ride on the street for 38 years (you do the math) and belong to ARRP. By New, this is my second new Yamaha, the first was an SR500 single from the first year they made them. I've had a lot of bikes, the best probably the Wee, but it sure wasn't pretty..... The new 6, now there is a good looking modern bike. Not a classic like my 850 Norton was, but way better than the Suzuki. I've owned 15 bikes over the years, if I remember right and even though I lived in Minnesota, I averaged about 10K per year for the last 15 years, so I have a lot of miles. I've never been much for LD travel, mostly just getting to work and riding for enjoyment. Over the years I have been to the Rockies, the Pacific, Sturgis, and the Smokies, most places in between. It's all good from two wheels, go someplace and enjoy yourselves. This is a great do everything machine short of pure off roading, and I think with the right tires it wouldn't be too bad at that either. (Okay, the clutch would be a pain)

I'm happy to have found you and can find some answers to my questions now. Thanks for all the sharing of information and the conversation, in advance.

V/R,

WIZ

:welcome: Wiz! Congrats on the new bike!

So, that makes you 39? ;) Well, I don't think you're the oldest though!

As in Mr. Wizard..? Brilliant! Is the guessing of your name a contest -- I'm guessin' 56.

Welcome.

When I bought the fz6 I had actually been looking long and hard at the wee-strom. I'm happy with my choice and think you will be, too.

See you around.

edit: don't forget to edit the tagline under your username -- you're far from a "junior" member.

Last edited:
I just drove up to Wisconsin yesterday and picked up a pretty 2007 Blue FZ6. They are great bikes! I also have a Blue 2006 FZ6... so I'm a fan of the blue too! ...I'm just not sure if I'd call them slow, quite the opposite actually :D

Thanks for sharing your background. As others have said already, I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge to bring! :thumbup:

:welcome:

Welcome Wiz! Great folks here on this forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I know I do. Congratulations on your new machine.

UPDATE: An OLD, old, New Rider

Thanks to all for the welcome. I'm 55 but only feel about 29 while I'm riding, that's why I have all the miles! My most recent bikes were a 1100 Katana, a Kawi Concours, 1500 Vulcan classic, 1500 Nomad,(with my stepson's mean streak as backup) the 650 Wee-Strom and now old Blue. I started a Internet based Vulcan group in Mpls/St.Paul on Yahoo Groups called RiverCities VROC about 12 years ago. Over the years it changed to MidWest Metro VROC. They are still together, over 120 strong, and a better group of people you couldn't find. If you are headed too or live in that area, don't hesitate to check out the web site. They will be more than happy to help any rider in any way. They meet every Saturday morning at different coffee shops around the Metro area. We believe "pay it forward" works and practice it every chance we get. Now I'm 50 miles north of Green Bay looking for riding buddies. Coffee Saturday anyone? Bueller??? Bueller??

Any Takers????

Thanks Again,

Wiz

:welcome: Wiz!

I'm only about a year younger than you and I'm guessin' Wiz means ya gotta get up at night a lot :eek: j/k

As someone else mentioned with all your miles & different bikes I think you'll bring a lot to the forum. Look forward to hearing from you :D

Re: UPDATE: An OLD, old, New Rider

Hi I'm a relative newbie to this forum. Have never participated in computer forums till signing up about a month ago. I have been riding since I bought my first bike in 1957(1952 350c.c. AJS) when I was 15. I will be 67 this year and just upgraded my old FJ600 to a new to me 06' FZ6S. Have just done the H/L mod to give me a dip light on both lights.

Where I live in the bottom of New Zealand, it gets quite cool (this morning it was 0.5 degrees Centigrade or araoung 32 degrees Fahrenheit). I have just fitted electric hand grips, and fitted a set of handlebar muffs.

Also made up a little gadget that keeps the wind from blowing the muffs against the levers and holding them on a little.

Wiz ! Me too !!! Cheers Allistair

Welcome:cheer::cheer::cheer:

I also have the Blue 07 Fizzer...I think you will find out that BLUE is quite fast!

I love the blue, when polished it looks like liquid glass! Awesome color!

Anyway glad to have you on the forum.

Back