Another "new" bike for me! It's Thunderace time!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, since i sold the FZ6 in my shed, that was set up for touring, and 2 up duties, i really havent had a suitable bike to take the Lady in my life for a decent bike ride....my black FZ6 has no pillion seat, and the pillion seat on my TRX850 is pretty much a devise of torture for unsuspecting pillion's...so much so, that the missus has only been on it twice, and refuses to get back on the bike!

So i have been on the lookout for a "new" touring steed, that wont bust my budget, but will eat up long distances wit ease, and comfort for both me and my pillion!

I didnt want to get a full on touring bike, as i think that would bore me to tears, so it was all about finding a bike that can match it with most bikes in the twisties, whilst still maintaining a level of comfort that will allow me to ride 800km day's in relative comfort....

So, it was Sports Tourer search time...you know, CBR1100XX's.....great bike, but let down by real basic, non adjustable suspension...or a Kawazaki ZX12R, great bike, but just a bit too sports in it's seating arrangements, or a BMW K1200RS, a awesome bike, but just a little too practical for my liking, and a little more expensive than it's japanese competition, to buy into...even secondhand!

Then i thought about Yamaha's much under-rated YZF1000R Thunderace...largely forgotten, as it is wedged inbetween the pure sports FZR1000 EXUP, and the ground breaking YZF-R1 in it's Yamaha Lineage.... the Thunderace is a stop gap bike, that wasnt quite all out sports, but was still blindingly fast, and in the end, a damn fine sports tourer!!!

So it was off in search of a decently priced Thunderrace!!!

Well i found one! A 1996 model (the first), in the clours i like, Red, White & Black, for half the price that a secondhand FZ6 would set me back in Australia!

I have found myself a 145hp Thunderace, with fully adjustable rear shock, fully adjustable 48mm front forks, YZF750R frame, big fat rider and pillion seat, luggage rack, etc, etc..

The one i have found is 1400km from home, but it is the right price, has only done 58000km's, and is pretty much bog stock standard, except for a luggage rack, a de-baffled OEM pipe, and shorter gearing via a smaller front sprocket....

Humpy (Forum Member) got a mate to go check it out for me, and it seems that the bike is everything that the seller says it is....It has a few minor scratches, and a couple of small cracks in the left side fairing, from a stationary drop, some years ago, but the engine sounds strong, and quiet, and the general condition of the bike is good for it's age...

Anyway, i am off to Sydney next week on a plane, to pick the thing up and ride it back home....

Here is a picture of the bike in question....not the actual bike i am buying, cause the photo's i have of that bike are not the best....

View attachment 40917

Here is the spec sheet for the bike....

Yamaha YZF Thunder ace 1000 R 2000: technical specifications

cant freaking wait to get my grubby little hands on the thing!

:rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you coming through Melbourne or skirting it this time, your turn for the coffee champ, so you have to visit! ha ha
congrats on the purchase and a safe ride whichever way you go

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you coming through Melbourne or skirting it this time, your turn for the coffee champ, so you have to visit! ha ha
congrats on the purchase and a safe ride whichever way you go

I think i may have to come home via Melbourne! Cause the roads through the "Normal" way are all flooded!!!

So yeah, it's my shout for Coffee, or more likely, a meal this time....i wont be in a hurry, as if i go via Melbourne, i will be staying in Melbourne overnight...

:thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I almost bought one last year. Just had too many Km's.

Such a great bike though. So advanced for it's time it's still on par with modern tech in a lot of important ways.

Plus I think it's one of the best looking designs to come from the Japanese. It's what a sportbike was meant to look like in a lot of ways. But maybe that's just because I ogled it so much during my "one day I'll have a motorcycle" phase.

Great pick man.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats wolf. a fine example of a bike and looks well taken care of from the description. yeah they are very underated and overlooked, i ve never seen one in the flesh, i got a couple of pics tho when i was searching for ' IF I HAD FUNDS what other bike can i get to put next to the fz that s not so common?'- and the thunderace and yamaha's bulldog were on top of the list :D

anyway enjoy the ride back home wolf

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I almost bought one last year. Just had too many Km's.

Such a great bike though. So advanced for it's time it's still on par with modern tech in a lot of important ways.

Plus I think it's one of the best looking designs to come from the Japanese. It's what a sportbike was meant to look like in a lot of ways. But maybe that's just because I ogled it so much during my "one day I'll have a motorcycle" phase.

Great pick man.

congrats wolf. a fine example of a bike and looks well taken care of from the description. yeah they are very underated and overlooked, i ve never seen one in the flesh, i got a couple of pics tho when i was searching for ' IF I HAD FUNDS what other bike can i get to put next to the fz that s not so common?'- and the thunderace and yamaha's bulldog were on top of the list :D

anyway enjoy the ride back home wolf

Not a lot of the Thunderaces around, as they were seen as a little heavy to compete with the Fireblade, and Gixxer 750, which were flavour of the month at the time, and then when Yamaha bought out the R1 in 1998, the Thunderace was kept as part of the Yamaha line up as a Sportstourer in some countries...

Very under rated bike with a YZF 750 Chassis....which made them handle way better than they looked like they should!

Second hand prices are as such, because this bike is seen as "unfashionable"!!!

They still hold their own against many modern bikes, due to a stonking mid range, which see's arm wrenching grunt from as low as 3000rpm...in fact, in 80 - 100 mph roll on's, the Thunderace is quicker than the early R1's.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy that got me into my first bike owned one, all black and a freak bike. He ran a full scorpian exhaust and was a full freak bike for speed. He use to leave brand new r1's that his mate kept buying and cbr's that his other mate kept buying for dead due to the 5 speed rather than 6 and he never had any issues. He is the one that introduced me to the d road and the p road. His only aim was always to top 300km/h when riding. He loved the bike, so if as good as his was you'll have one great bike.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only a 5 speed?

That'll hurt it a bit on the highway for economy.

But, no doubt it has great torque, so probably wont be doing many rpm at 110kph.

Be interesting to see!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. I reckon I could STILL take ya on the FZ6 - might give me a reason to take it higher than 8000rpm! LOL!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might actually be surprised.....would like to see the dyno map for each bike, the YZF has a VERY FAT midrange, and a very strong, flat, torque curve!

:D

Lol it probably would be.

If you don't clutch up the revs, the R1 doesn't go anywhere very quickly at all, in any gear.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's an Awesome Bike Jamie!!! Excellent choice!! you for sure have a magazine quality stable,and i'm thinking this new edition pushes it over the top!! WAy Cool !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :rockon: :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Jamie! Nice find! Hey, if you want to see an epic makeover of one of these, we have a guy on the sister site that has the thread of all threads and can likely help you out if you get stuck. We have another forum member with a thread on his and he has the service manual and can help. Congrats man!

Check out Billy here: Official YZF Makeover Thread - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum and Tony here: YZF1000 Build Has Started! - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not expect any less class from Jamie's stable any more! :D

Nice pick! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Jamie! Nice find! Hey, if you want to see an epic makeover of one of these, we have a guy on the sister site that has the thread of all threads and can likely help you out if you get stuck. We have another forum member with a thread on his and he has the service manual and can help. Congrats man!

Check out Billy here: Official YZF Makeover Thread - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum and Tony here: YZF1000 Build Has Started! - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

Nice one, will have a look, and might have to pop over and have a bit of a gander and a maybe even post some good ol Aussie dribble!