anyone had a chain snap/break on them?

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
well for some reason my rather nice expensive DID X ring chain snapped tonight
520 clip link chain no riveted as beign only a 600 they are fine
dont forget the factory chain is a clip link !
not sealed as i installed myself

causing a rather nasty noise and killing my oil filter and spreading 3 litrs of fresh oil over the rd :(
some how the chain did not jam up the back wheel allowing me to stop safely

unfortunately the 2 riders behind were not so lucky coming down in my oil spill on a straight piece of rd !
they are ok and some damage toa 07 gsxr 750 and 09 1198s! :eek::eek:

my chain maintence is over the top with regular cleaning and lubing under 500kms easily

hell i just cleaned and lubed it on sat!

so anyone had this happen before?

Last edited:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
wowww, fortunately it wasn't worse

I'm glad you and your friends are ok

with 32600 kilometers -> 20265 miles on my original chain I can't tell you much about that nasty experience, but anyway being a little curios I have one question:

was that a chain sealed from factory or the one you install with that rive tool and that stuff?

being an aftermarket X-ring chain I assume it was not sealed from factory.

Cheers

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
well for some reason my rather nice expensive DID X ring chain snapped tonight :(:no::vmad:
causing a rather nasty noise and killing my oil filter and spreading 3 litrs of fresh oil over the rd :(
some how the chain did not jam up the back wheel allowing me to stop safely

unfortunately the 2 riders behind were not so lucky coming down in my oil spill on a straight piece of rd !
they are ok and some damage toa 07 gsxr 750 and 09 1198s! :eek::eek:

Holy crap, that could have ripped into your leg and even been deadly for you and your riding buddies. Do you have a chain guard on your bike? Was it damaged? Were you hard on the gas at the moment it broke? You're really lucky man. I would call the business/manufacturer and report it. At the least it will be a documented case. If this happened to ten people, but no one reported it, it might happen again and kill someone...but if all ten people reported it, it might prevent an injury or death. Hope things are cool with your buddies and their insurance too.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad everyone was ok. Could have been really bad.

Was the chain too tight? I have heard about the slack needing to be checking when on the side stand. On my crotch rocket you are supposed to check the slack when it's on the side stand. I'm sure you know all of this already and it was probably a bad chain, that can happen. I've also heard about master links not being a good idea on 600cc and above bikes.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nasty stuff...sorry it had to involve your mates!

But i have never had a chain snap...thankfully.

But i have the same chain!

:(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have not ever had a chain fail...... Not to rub salt in the wound, that might be in part because I run the chain size the facotry put on there.... and I use riveted master links.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you and your friends are OK.

The problem with the clip link is that you can do all the correct maintenace and still have a clip fail. If the clip is installed the wrong way or not in the grooves propperly, it will come off. Back in the 80s, my 1984 RZ350 had a clip link master and I always safety wired it in place per RACE specification.

These days I would not use a clip master link - rivet link only for everyone's safety. Fom the factory, my FZ came with a rivot link.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok as is your friends. It could have been a lot worse.

A close inspection of your chain should (if not too destroyed) should shed some light on the failure. Is the master link still intact and the clip still on? Did a side plate fail or a roller/pin?

Some close up pictures of the the chain (especially the broke end) would be interesting to see...

I did (many moons ago-70's) see a drive chain (not o-ringed) let loose and go thru the engine case on an old Kawasaki Big Horn (350cc 2 stroke enduro). The bike had a lot of torque. The chain was very loose when my friend took his Dad's bike out (without permission of course). It needed new cases after that.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I would call the business/manufacturer and report it. At the least it will be a documented case. If this happened to ten people, but no one reported it, it might happen again and kill someone...but if all ten people reported it, it might prevent an injury or death. Hope things are cool with your buddies and their insurance too.

I Agree, manufacturers can improve if they get feedback from us, and we will have better products. It is a win win situation

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: anyone had a chain snap/break on them? now with pic!

update bike is a write off :(

hopefully will get doem good $$ and be able to remove all the aftermarket goodies

new bike shopping!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

update bike is a write off :(

hopefully will get doem good $$ and be able to remove all the aftermarket goodies

new bike shopping!

Aint been around much for the last few days....just seen this! OMFG! That is horrible!

Get all your mods and sell em!

:(

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site

no **** only road the bike 4 times with that new shock!
it was good too!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Madness.

This is why I am pre-emptively replacing my chain (the sprocket change is just something I wanted to do and replacing the chain gives me great excuse).

And after reading some stories of people paralyzed by chains breaking and then crashing, I decided to spend the extra money and get a top notch chain that is rated for higher tensile strengths and has a bunch of other sealing and other stuff done up to higher standards than the typical stock.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Madness.

This is why I am pre-emptively replacing my chain (the sprocket change is just something I wanted to do and replacing the chain gives me great excuse).

And after reading some stories of people paralyzed by chains breaking and then crashing, I decided to spend the extra money and get a top notch chain that is rated for higher tensile strengths and has a bunch of other sealing and other stuff done up to higher standards than the typical stock.

chain was less than 10kms old and worth $160 AUD
a damn good DID Xring chain

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the drive sprocket off or did the chain "remove" it?

You know, there was a recall on some years for the lock washer on the drive sprocket... ;)

Glad you got stopped safely and sorry about the other two!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: Glad you're Ok mate. I have a mate who had a chain snap, just getting back on the gas at the bottom of a dip (Pedlers Creek bridge for the locals), and he was only cruising. Stock chain it was too. His locked up the rear wheel though and he low sided it after skidding for a fair way.

Glad you and you're mates are Ok. That much oil on the tires in one hit like that, and it's no wonder they went down.:(

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the drive sprocket off or did the chain "remove" it?

You know, there was a recall on some years for the lock washer on the drive sprocket... ;)

Glad you got stopped safely and sorry about the other two!

no that was removed by the dealer

did not know about the recal