Anyone tried black matt vinyl on the VS-2 kit?

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the VS-2 kit in black and I think the glossy look of the fairings does not go well with the rest of the bike, which is mostly metallic matt. Has anyone tried to use black matt vinyl on the kit? I think it will look much better.

Just bought 1m of black matt vinyl for 5 bucks. Gonna apply the vinyl in the coming weeks.

In the pic, you can see the vinyl on the right and it matches better with the rest of the bike than the glossy fairing. Sorry bout the picture quality, just not enough light.

Last edited:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
clean the surface very well, finish with alcohol, get a hair dryer and a popsicle stick or something like it, wear gloves.

if it doesnt work out just plasti dip it!!!!!!!!!!! i did my whole bike for the winter season. youtube PLASTI DIP FZ6

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a bottle of detail spray and a bondo squeegee. Hose the part down with the spray and you'll be able to float the vinyl around on top of it without it sticking as long as you use a light touch.

Squeegee the flat surface starting in the center so the bubbles (and the liquid) get worked out and start warming the vinyl with the hair dryer so it'll stretch and work it down the sides with the squeegee. Keep your distance with the dryer so it doesn't scorch. For the details a pencil eraser is useful.

If you wax the part right before applying the vinyl, it'll come off easier if you get tired of it, but still stay on just fine. As long as you don't trap dirt underneath, vinyl isn't picky like paint.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally came around to doing it. Thanks for your advices, it helped. I also did it with a friend, 4 hands make it much easier. However we still did an amateur job at best. The small details make it a real bitch to do.

Still ok with the results though. I really think the matt black goes much better with the bike.

What do you think?

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually did the vinyl because I didn't know you could get it painted that easily. I thought matt paint was more complex than that. If I knew that it could be painted that easily, I would NOT have broken my back doing the vinyl! That was such a pain in the butt.

I just got myself a spray can of black satin paint. Gonna remove the vinyl and redo them. I guess it is the same thing as the plasti-dip. I couldn't find the plasti-dip spay here.

How does the spray paint holds up though? Does it get scratched easily?

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Removed the vinyl in the end. There are too many contours on the fairing and the stretch to make it fit started to bubble up.

Since I couldn't find plasti-dip, I ended up using matt black paint. 5 layers. Very happy with the result. Looks flawless.

Just make sure it dries for a few hours before even moving it.