Anyone with experience in changing to a 17 tooth up front?

Palerider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in hearing what you e experienced in changing to a 17 up front. What kind of speed RPM are you seeing out on the highway? In going up a tooth, how adversely has it affected the performance? Have you noticed any increase in mileage at all? Thanks for your time!

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I've installed two 17t sprockets. I have two FZ6's I like them. Don't forget your ODO will be off about 5% when you do MPG, I average the same MPG so I figure it's increased by that same 5% Your speedo will be 100% accurate.You can keep the same length chain or go longer, from the stock 118 to 120 links

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to 17T for a short time. didn't like it at all. Even with a speedo calibrator I couldn't get the speedo right. I had a tendency to wind out the gears to account for the taller ratio. ended up getting less gas economy

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused by FB400's comment. I think he is mistaken, going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket will result in a smaller ratio (2.25-Stock vs 2.12+1 in the front). So theoretically you will get better fuel mileage. I don't personally think that that would be the case though, stock gearing from factory is usually the best culmination of good cruising RPM/speed for best mileage and equal top speed/acceleration. Going up one in the front is only going to result in your bike being even slower off the line but having a little bit more on the top end and a lower RPM cruising speed. The inaccuracy of the Speedometer will always be there though with any gearing change. Getting a speedohealer/juicebox/etc and following the instructions to set up the correction is the only way to remedy this.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
That is simply not true. Think about it. The speedo is driven off the CS sprocket. The slower it turns the speedo reads a corresponding lower speed. The FZ speedo is about 5-6% optimistic speed wise, the ODO is right on. Now after changing the CS sprocket the speed is 5-6% less, but now the ODO reads less miles traveled then reality. You cant have it both ways. My gas mileage computes the same provided i don't account for the new ODO. So I'm getting 5-6% better fuel mileage.And I'm now wickedly fast!----Not really, I've never pressed top speed figures.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the 17t on mine for like 40,000 miles and I like it. 60mph is right at 5,000rpms 70 is a touch under 6k 80 is like 7kish

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my FZ6 7 years and ridden over 37,000 miles on it. This includes 4 long multiday trips. I have used stock 16T, 15T and 17T sprockets. Of all that riding time I would estimate using 15T and 16T about 95% of the time combined. The 17T I liked so little it came off after only a couple of weeks. The 15T is a blast for everyday use. I very much prefer the 16T for the long trips. Ultimately though since these sprockets are so inexpensive and most can change out themselves it wouldn't hurt to just experiment with the sprocket that works best for you. Yeah those RPM's given in the prior post sound good but it is how you would feel riding with it that counts the most. My experience with the 17T may not apply to anyone else. You really have to try it out and figure out how well it works for you

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking of changing to 17t or 15th too. Going -1 front plus +2 might be too much for my lady behind and normally commute 60% highways and 40% Street plus with traffic conditions. Why the few weeks on 17t?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I would change to the 15T first and get a feel for better acceleration than stock. the stock 16T will seem tamer and you can compare. the 17T just wasn't doing it for me. I didn't like how hard it was to launch into first. it felt like a different bike in not a good way

Last edited: