Are BMW motorcycles really that much better...

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
when they cost so much more in comparison with other brands, or it is just the brand that people pay for?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a bit of both. You are paying for the brand, but it is a good brand.

If you have a close look at the bikes they are also finished really well, but maybe they are still a little overpriced.

At the end of the day only you know what is too much money. If you want a "brand" and money isn't an issue, then buy a BMW. If you want cool, then it's another bike altogether. I mostly see older men in perth riding BMW's and young guys riding R1's. That's the difference. They are for a niche market.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's mostly just the name. Honestly, they have some cool technological things, but for what they are, like their cars, they're just overpriced. I liked the F800ST, but you can get a VFR or comparable bike for less and have a better performing bike. Lot's of people who had their GS series bikes, wound up buying V-Stroms and couldn't be happier besides the fact they save thousands of dollars. If you check it out, BMW bikes have a lot of fan boys, but I think it's about the "exclusiveness" of owning one rather than it actually being the best bike out there.

Why do you ask? Thinking of getting one?

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
i am getting some money coming my way so was thinking of switching but will need some studying and research before i pull the trigger as i am happy with fz6 hence me asking

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been on a BMW bike for an extended ride, but I hear great things they take some neat progressive tech designs and their bikes are usually a unique take on a style (single sided swingarms, single sided forks, great looking adventure bikes) I dont know how long the bikes are supposed to run for (not sure how long my Yamaha will run for... 27k miles now) I had a 1981 528 that had parts held together by wood 350K miles... and it ran like a dream (looked like piss) so BMW does have somewhat of a well deserved reputation...

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe people take better care of them, but there's an older one where I work. It's got 137K on the clock. Don't see many Harleys or Japanese bikes like that. I suspect many sport bikes and standards (FZ6 included) are abused by their younger riders - don't know what to say about the Harleys.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Their maintainance schedules are more in depth for the most part than other bikes (expensive too), hence they will last longer. BMW owners don't seem to mind spending the big bucks for general service.

The bikes are not (generally) shade tree mechanic friendly and often require special tools for basic maintainance. (IE:special tool to remove the spin on oil filter thats recessed inside the engine-inside oil).

It seems the there is some very innovative engineering there but sometimes it'll be over complicated for something that can be achieved easier...

BTW, when I initially got my fz6 (bone stock-stock muffler,etc) my friend who rode a BMW K1200 (go fast bike). We happened to be sitting first, at the base of a bridge, at a red light... Light turns green, needless to say, we got on it, it got about a bike lenth on me and kept it... Now this is a 1200 vs a 600.... I'll take a Yamaha anytime....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Beemers are not usually someone's first bike. So, when you buy one you are getting what you have been looking for for some time. It's generally a life time purchase. GRUMPY

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
BMW's manufacturing volumes are lower.... so the prices are generally higher for comparable products. Engineering is engineering.... doesn't matter what brand invests in getting it right; when it is good design that shows through.

BMW has made a life's work out of going their own way and doing things in a unique way. As I want to ride motorcycles that are cheap to buy and maintain, 'unique' generally doesn't work all that well for me.

When BMW's products were long stroke, low RPM, low power designs they lasted a long time.... if you were to compare a 1960's BMW to anything else from Europe or America, the BMW would be running 2x or 3x as long.

I'd really like to like the brand. It's just too expensive up front, and to maintain for my blood.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Beemers are not usually someone's first bike. So, when you buy one you are getting what you have been looking for for some time. It's generally a life time purchase. GRUMPY

+1 to the previous comment. BMW motorcycles are a kind of legacy purchase. You buy a BMW because you're a previous BMW owner, or because you know somebody who has one. Another kind of beemer owner is someone who appreciates something "a bit different" and is willing to shell out extra money to have it. BMW motorcycles are usually built pretty tough, but lemons do occasionally slip through the cracks.

My buddy operates a local tow truck service in Northern Michigan and he recently had to tow a 2009 dual sport type 800 cc BMW motorcycle to the nearest dealer (200 miles away in Grand Rapids, MI). The engine would not start, and no amount of local troubleshooting was able to fire the motor. Luckily, BMW is standing behind the warranty and they even paid the $800 tow bill to haul the bike to the nearest dealer.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, I would say the answer is yes.

These bikes are rock solid. They are one of the top bikes of choice for serious tourers. Yeah, you are probably also spending a bit more for the BMW badge, but you do that with a Honda (cars and bikes).

The drummer for my favorite all time band, Neil Peart, put 30,000 miles on his BMW bike last time they toured the US. Has been riding between shows for the last several tours.

Have a look at the odometer when you run across one and you it's likely going to be in the high 5 figures.

At the Lonestar Rally in Galveston, Tx a few weeks ago we saw every kind of funky bike known to man. But, it was one of the the GS model BMW Enduro Tourers that got the most attention from passers bye.

We were standing by it just watching bikes parade down the main drag for the rally. I think I had 5 people come up and ask me about it as they assumed it was mine.

Their looks are an aqcuired taste, their price a bit on the high end and if you aren't a wrencher, you might have to shell out some $$ for some maintenance. But, your gonna have a bike that lasts.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, they are great bikes. But they are german bikes. If you've ever owned a German car, you know Germans have a different way of doing things. They go by the principle that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. They have very defined maintenance intervals with many items that would need checked and such. The newer R1200 bikes require valve checks ever 6k miles, not a big deal as the valves are easy to get to and are adjusted with screws, but still. They usually aren't bikes you can just ride and forget like most Japanese machines. But what the BMWs lack in the cheapness to maintain department, they are leaps and bounds over the Japanese in the soul department. My FZ6 feels like i am driving an appliance compared to what my K1200 was.
The Germans also love cool features:
-Telelever non-diving front suspension? Got it. Power brakes? Got it.
-Tail light burned out? No problem, the bike automatically uses the brake light at a lower power to keep you legal and safe and will let you know the light is out.
-ABS on most bikes since 1990? Got it.
-Adjustable windscreen, seat, footpegs, AND clip-ons from the factory? Got it.
-Ultra complete tool-kit that even includes a tire pack and refill kit? Got it.
-Headlight that adjusts with a knob to keep the angle right when you have a pillion? Got it.

Plus more stuff. Also, a huge thing is the quality. My K1200 felt as though it was carved from stone it was so solid feeling. The main frame back bone was HUGE (which also leads to a 650lb+ wet weight...). The FZ6 or even my VFRs couldn't compare with that.

They are great bikes, i will own another. I sold my K12RS due to it appetite for premium fuel (the best i got was 38mpg, worst i've had on the FZ6 is 45mpg), it was heavy, had a few issues, and was too much bike for my needs (the FZ6 with a trunk and tank bag are perfect for my daily commuting and around town needs).

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
In short....NO

My last bike was a BMW....pros/cons (on mine):

• Pros:
  • Single sided swingarm
  • Belt drive
  • ABS
  • Conversation starter

Cons:
  • Crap suspension (sadly the stock FZ suspension is better, at least the rear is adjustable)
  • Everything is overengineered....took 10 minutes just to accurately check the oil level, oil changes were a huge pain....oil filter was inside the engine so I had no other option than to buy the BMW filter kit @ $20+. Constant maintenance...valve checks every 6k miles.
  • Belt drive - was nice not having to clean/lube it but you still had to manually check/adjust tension. They recommended you replace it around 20k miles to the tune of $200 for just the belt itself. Process included removing the swingarm and a few other parts to get the new one on (did I mention over-engineered?)
  • Conversation starter - depends on your opinion but I could barely get gas without someone coming up and asking about it...got annoying after a while.

So yeah...I definitely will not be buying one again.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
for what they are, like their cars, they're just overpriced.

I can't agree with that. I have had 4 3 series in the last 13 years, currently driving a 2006 320d and it is a stunning car to drive. All 4 have given me zero problems and cost me zero maintenance thanks to the Motorplan. I have got great resale on each one when letting it go.

In my experience, most people who slag BMWs want one but can't have one.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
In short....NO

My last bike was a BMW....pros/cons (on mine):

• Pros:
  • Single sided swingarm
  • Belt drive
  • ABS
  • Conversation starter

Cons:
  • Crap suspension (sadly the stock FZ suspension is better, at least the rear is adjustable)
  • Everything is overengineered....took 10 minutes just to accurately check the oil level, oil changes were a huge pain....oil filter was inside the engine so I had no other option than to buy the BMW filter kit @ $20+. Constant maintenance...valve checks every 6k miles.
  • Belt drive - was nice not having to clean/lube it but you still had to manually check/adjust tension. They recommended you replace it around 20k miles to the tune of $200 for just the belt itself. Process included removing the swingarm and a few other parts to get the new one on (did I mention over-engineered?)
  • Conversation starter - depends on your opinion but I could barely get gas without someone coming up and asking about it...got annoying after a while.

So yeah...I definitely will not be buying one again.

Interesting cons.

Your comparing suspension on a 50hp single cylinder thumper, to a 4 cyl. nearly 100hp sport bike. But it obviously wasn't to your liking.

Not sure over-engineering is really a con. Yamaha (through Star) had that screwed up oil filter issue with the 1100 Star. No one is perfect!

Belt drive? It has it's +'s and -'s just like chain and shaft.

Did you do much research on the BMW before buying?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred where are you??? :confused:

I've owned an '83 528e, and a '99 528i. Both were very good cars. I put about 185K on the Eta. My goal was 250K but it was reared twice. The second hit bent the car into the letter "C". I walked away with a sore chest and neck. Can't complain too much about that one.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an old BMW car, 11-year old and I got a recall notice for the radiator cap! That is service, especially as the replacement was free.

As for bikes, they tend to be good at what they do, my mate has a GS and thinks nothing of a 350mile round trip to pop and see us for the weekend, he is just off to Milan from UK and intends getting a lap or two in of the Nurberg ring on the way back.

If it is what you want then think the BMW fold would welcome you.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one of these for a year

simonwb-albums-simonwb-s-fazer-picture5204-2009-bmw-r1200-rt-se-motorcycle.jpg

a BMW R1200RT SE. SE means it came with heated grips & seat, onboard computer.

Pros:
- fantastic at munching miles in comfort
- adjustable screen could get you right out of wind, noise, rain, cold
- low seat option meant I could get both feet down
- with panniers and top box, great storage
- takes additional electrics eg heated vest with ease
- BMW dealers are generally smart places to go and their clothing range excellent (still wearing it on the FZ6 ;)), though it's pricey stuff

Cons:
- you could wind it up to a fair speed but it took it's time to get there
- too heavy by far! When I dropped it, I needed help to get it back up. I had to approach all stops and parking with ultra caution. This was the dealbreaker and why I changed it for the FZ6
- too big for me to commuting lane split with confidence but I guess that would have come with more practice
- pricey to buy and service (but my employer was paying; as an aside, it's hard work to find a bike leasing company in the UK)
- the fuel sensor was faulty from delivery, which meant I was stranded once without fuel. Not acceptable for a premium marque

Though I wouldn't have one again (too big, see above) I remain impressed with the product and might consider a lighter model again one day. I test rode a K1300 which goes like stink but IMHO is ugly.

scottfarm

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a certified bmw motorcycle mechanic and I ride an fz6. What does that tell you. They are overengineered just like a mercedes and a pita to work on. Things will go wrong with a bmw that never go wrong with a jap bike. They make the simple task of changing your oil a pita. I have owned many bmw's. They do have better suspension out on the open road but most overheat in traffic. You will not get a better bike for the money than the fz6. Race tech front fork springs and all balls steering neck bearing replacement and you have one fine bike.