Arghhhh........Nooooooooooo......!!!!!!!!!

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a nice new Sony NEX5 Camera today, and after checking everything was ok and registering it I was prompted to update the firmware on it. Downloaded the osx version to my Macbook pro and followed the instructions to the letter. Just after the update got running and the DO NOT SWITCH OFF THE CAMERA, REMOVE THE BATTERY OR DISCONNECT THE USB message the software crashed my mac ! there it was frozen with the hold down the power button to restart message. Waited 5 mins and switched off the camera, removed and refitted the battery, Nothing..... camera wont power up......Fried it.......11pm at night no phone support.......:eek: fired up my wifes pc and hit the forums there were loads of post with the same thing but as luck would have it there was a glimmer in the dark. One guy who had the same thing just downloaded the pc version and ran the software on the camera even though it appeared dead to the world and restored it. Well to cut a long story short I did the same and it worked, New camera restored with the new firmware loaded :cheer:. Never thought I would say it but HOORAY FOR PC's.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of modern devices when they seem bricked by a firmware flash have a fail-safe where they'll sit there looking for another firmware flash. :)

How do you like the NEX5 so far? I'm a Sony camera fan as well, and have an HX5V.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mac's are useless. They cost more for lower end hardware, then don't really let you do as much with it once you own it. Unless you're a high end video editor, there is no benefit which justifies the additional cost....unless you're really rich and like the simplicity of it. Even then, it's not that much more simple.

PC for life.

Yes I am biased and speaking authoritatively on a matter which is partially subjective.

:)

Last edited:

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Could have been an expensive mistake :eek:

Review of camera please? Looking at buying a new one myself at the moment :)
I will write a review soon, at the moment its a good time to buy in the UK. The vat is going up to 20% in January and Sony are refunding the equivalent of the 17.5% vat which is the current rate. I paid £699 inc. a spare genuine sony battery it was on 12 months 0% interest and Sony will pay me back £76.
I presently have a DSLR and a compact so I'm looking forward to seeing where this splits them.

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Mac's are useless. They cost more for lower end hardware, then don't really let you do as much with it once you own it. Unless you're a high end video editor, there is no benefit which justifies the additional cost....unless you're really rich and like the simplicity of it. Even then, it's not that much more simple.

PC for life.

Yes I am biased and speaking authoritatively on a matter which is partially subjective.

:)
The mac is mostly pretty reliable but I've had a few things recently where there is no MAC version of a piece of software and had to use the SWIMBO's PC. How is windows 7 now is it ok ?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently became a Sony camera owner too, I have a Canon 350D but it is a bit big to lug around on the bike so I bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T99.

Slightly bigger than a credit card, 14.1MP, 4x optical zoom, Carl Zeiss lens, 3 inch touch screen operated, and sweep panorama function that you just press and pan and it takes one big wide photo! It can also take HD video.

It has face and smile recognition which is handy for low light situations and takes a regular SD card.

DSC-T99 | Cyber-shot® Digital Camera T99 | Sony | Sony Style USA

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my friend recently bought this camera and it is pretty decent

my only issues with it:

- lack of zoom lenses (and the adapter to use normal ones is expensive)
- some settings are reset when you change modes
- bit fiddly to use the menus all the time
- battery doesn't last long

It is fairly good, and the pancake lens is nice.

I bought a canon 550d at the same time, which I found surprisingly easy to use.

btw for uk users here's a good site for finding camera prices/deals: Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone Soldier is a Poopie-head and no one should listen to him. :tard:

Mac for life. :D

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was a graphic design major in college, macs worked fine except for I had to save my work every 20 mins cause they would unexpectedly quit.... PC I have never had a problem. I have to use macs for work and they are a pain.... I will not buy a mac.