Article: Orange Co. motorcycle accidents

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
Yea, my brother is a Motor Cop (bike cop) for one of the upper crust beach towns down there in the OC. He see's a lot of wild crap down there with the bikers, but a lot of it has to do with the cager interaction though. A friend of mine was killed on I-5 while riding to work on his Ninja back in the '90's (forced into the center divider). A rider's head must be on a swivel there, no doubt about it.

Back in my USMC days, when there was still an MCAS El Toro, I rode my 454LTD around SoCal all the time in my orange vest. I can't remember all the times I had near misses due to cager inattentiveness (it's particularly bad around Seizure World...er, I mean Leisure World). Got some great stories for the grand kids though. ;)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, my brother is a Motor Cop (bike cop) for one of the upper crust beach towns down there in the OC. He see's a lot of wild crap down there with the bikers, but a lot of it has to do with the cager interaction though. A friend of mine was killed on I-5 while riding to work on his Ninja back in the '90's (forced into the center divider). A rider's head must be on a swivel there, no doubt about it.

Back in my USMC days, when there was still an MCAS El Toro, I rode my 454LTD around SoCal all the time in my orange vest. I can't remember all the times I had near misses due to cager inattentiveness (it's particularly bad around Seizure World...er, I mean Leisure World). Got some great stories for the grand kids though. ;)

"Seizure World" buahahaha a few years ago I totalled a Mazda miata a block away from Leasure World in Seal Beach due to a 128 year old asian lady cutting through 3 lanes to make the gas station at the corner :D good times...

Think your bro could take care of a couple of tickets for me? :D joking...

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
"Seizure World" buahahaha a few years ago I totalled a Mazda miata a block away from Leasure World in Seal Beach due to a 128 year old asian lady cutting through 3 lanes to make the gas station at the corner :D good times...

Think your bro could take care of a couple of tickets for me? :D joking...

Heh, my brother is one of those who always makes his court dates. ;)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
My wife is a firefighter at Point Mugu and responds to a lot of accidents on PCH.

She used to lecture me but has since learned that I accept the risk, do my best to ride safe, and try to anticipate as much as possible.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
That article is highly biased...it blames the motorcyclist for all the accidents...while it seems to focus on inexperienced riders, there are no statistics given for Vehicle at fault - rather only motorcycle at fault.

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding here all my life and noticed the stats are CHP numbers. They are only interested in the freeways here (interstates) 405, 5, 22, 55 etc.

It is a busy place and the pace is faster than most. Just leave town for a month in another state in a rented car and you'll see as soon as you get back. Safety is on your shoulders, drag race from the stop light and you'll be the first one to hit the minivan making a left before the wave of cars comes up behind you. LA county had way bigger numbers for the obvious reason.
It's pretty grim when I see a fresh blood stain on my daily commute on the freeway it's almost always from a biker going down. Sad they still ride in BMX gear when they get their first job and a liter bike or HD between their legs. Those bikes are so unforgiving and harder to steer in a panic situation.

I thought this was worth repeating.

Common causes of motorcycle collisions include:

•3,655 accidents blamed on unsafe speed

•1,550 for improper turning

•300 for improper passing

•287 unsafe lane changes

•284 automobile right-of-way