Reaction score
Visit site

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ASAP help question number 2

doesnt an oil filter wrench come with the bike in the little black pouch that u get under the seat?

if so, which bolt do i untighten to get the oil filter to come off?

thanks again to any who respond. me = noob

W

wrightme43

Re: ASAP help question number 2

No oil filter wrench.

There is a wrench that fits the oil drain plug but dont use it. You will regret it.

Use the right size 6 point socket.

In the how to section you will find a thread with all the help you need my friend.

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

unless its different in the US than the UK you do not get an oil filter wrench with the tool kit. You either need to buy one or the free option is to use a pair of pipe grips to go round the filter or punch a screwdriver into the side and turn. Sure there will be more advice shortly

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site

There isn't a filter wrench in the stock toolkit to my knowledge.

There's no bolt to loosen, just grab it with a rag or an ordinary strap filter wrench and twist. The K&N filters have a nut-shape on the end of their filters, maybe that's what you're looking at?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

no filter wrench, that is something you get at the auto parts store, if you are in a pinch without one you should be able to get it off with a big pair of channel locks or as a very last resort punch a screwdriver through it (messy) but be close to then end of the filter as it can hit things inside. Also note that the screwdriver method is a point of no return, if you do that you commit to finishing the job no matter what.

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 to reiobards advice about the point of no return. having changed my oil every 2000mi and filter every 4k, i do it in my sleep now.

Never ending debate about how often you change your oil but i have a friend that has put 150k mi on a CB500 honda with this maintenance philosophy so that's good for me

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 to reiobards advice about the point of no return. having changed my oil every 2000mi and filter every 4k, i do it in my sleep now.

Never ending debate about how often you change your oil but i have a friend that has put 150k mi on a CB500 honda with this maintenance philosophy so that's good for me

yep, have to agree, clean oil, equals long engine life...also a great way to keep tabs on engine wear...inspecting the oil, each time you drain it...

As for getting the filter off, the strap tool method is quickest and the least messiest...the ol screwdriver method can be a bit frustrating as the stand etc, limits clearance and requires quite a few go's before you can twist the filter off by hand...well that's my experience anyway.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

went out bought an oil filter wrench. still not opening. what the hell. its now dark and im cold as im in the garage and its like 30 below celcius outside.

i dont get it.