ATGATT: I'm a paramedic student, this is my story.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing that will really bother me is pediatrics. Being a father myself, I try to study hard to because I acknowledge it's not if, it's when I have to work a serious code on someone's child, and I want it to be the same as if I was working on my own daughter.

I am not a father, or a mother for the matter:confused:, so peds doesnt bother me as it would a parent. I can say peds is not difficult, though. Many people are scared of peds because they are not common patients! They lose touch with their standing medical orders on pediatric calls because they never use it.

Children can compensate very very well and are damn resililient! Know the physiological differences between peds and adults (no theyre not just "small adults"!!) and know your treatments and youll be fine. Although you rarely use pediatric protocols its best to study them even after you get your license.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes they can for a short period of time, but when they're done, they're done.

What my goal is, is to do 3-4 years in a high call area, get experience, go take some nursing courses, and be a flight medic or flight nurse on Angel one at children's hospital.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What my goal is, is to do 3-4 years in a high call area, get experience, go take some nursing courses, and be a flight medic or flight nurse on Angel one at children's hospital.

That would be very cool. Become a critical care paramedic and do flight! Would you wanna be on a chopper or do longer transports on a plane?

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent the last week in Florida and seeing all of these riders with no helmets just made my stomach cringe.

On one hand, I feel like getting on my soap box and preach ATGATT to all riders, on another these are grown adults and they know what they are doing.

You only have one very fragile melon, using some basic modicum of protection seems rational to me.

If you are willing to take your chances than good for you, I won't envy the people whose job will be to scrape your brain matter with a razor blade off the tarmac.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site

I won't envy the people whose job will be to scrape your brain matter with a razor blade off the tarmac.

Razor blade? wtf....we just use 120psi at the nozzle and that clears away most of it.....a square mouth shovel will do the rest. Sad but true.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helicopter
Holy cow. You were an army medic, im sure the choppers are different though. Have you been in one? Soo smalll lol

Razor blade? wtf....we just use 120psi at the nozzle and that clears away most of it.....a square mouth shovel will do the rest. Sad but true.
Who said hose was only for firefighting? Lol.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds admirable. On the flip side take care of yourself. I had a patient once that basically had burned themselves out by their mid-40s because of the high stress nature of the business.