Atlas Throttle Lock update

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Atlas

This is my first participation in a "Kickstarter" campaign, and its been fun to track the company's progress; I'm getting a throttle lock from their second batch, anxious to try it out.
I've used two different "end-twist"-style throttle locks, both work okay but are difficult/dangerous to engage; this new design solves that. Will report later when I get it. :thumbup:

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
It's terrible as a throttle lock. Looks great but it doesn't fit the FZ6 throttle tube very well and just scratches at the plastic. It won't actually lock, the moment you release your grip it slowly rotates and you slow down. Plus to have it engage requires a 'friction pad' which rubs the throttle housing as you twist so it actually effects the throttle response. It might work on other bikes but not this one! I am waiting to hear if I can get any form of refund or return. Not impressed, just wasted $135. I'll follow up if I get any further with returning it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's terrible as a throttle lock. Looks great but it doesn't fit the FZ6 throttle tube very well and just scratches at the plastic. It won't actually lock, the moment you release your grip it slowly rotates and you slow down. Plus to have it engage requires a 'friction pad' which rubs the throttle housing as you twist so it actually effects the throttle response. It might work on other bikes but not this one! I am waiting to hear if I can get any form of refund or return. Not impressed, just wasted $135. I'll follow up if I get any further with returning it.
Sadly, I have to agree. :( It worked well the first time I used it, but ever since it has slipped as Druff reported. It also takes one heck of a push to engage (disengaging it is quick and easy). It slips very slowly so it gives you a chance to shake out your hand, and a very light pressure keeps it in place, so I'll be leaving it on the bike (I have it on my beemer).

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly,...It slips very slowly so it gives you a chance to shake out your hand, and a very light pressure keeps it in place, so I'll be leaving it on the bike (I have it on my beemer).

I can do the same with my Go Cruise Aluminum 2, and it costed me 35$ only..! :)

I can really go few miles with that.

Mud$hooter

Reaction score
Visit site

Hey Druff, this is David with the ATLAS throttle lock. I'm not sure why your ATLAS isn't working properly. Do you have any photos? I have installed the ATLAS on multiple Yamaha FZ6 bikes without problem. I just put it on 2 FZ6s today to take pictures for you. I have a KTM 640 LC4 which is like a paint shaker on 2 wheels and the ATLAS doesn't slip at all.

Most bikes, even FZ6s are a simple bolt-on installation, but yours may take a little more effort. I have a few suggestions.

1) You need to cut out the plastic washer between the rubber grip flange and the throttle housing before mounting the ATLAS.
2) Use the small clamp arm on the 1st (smallest diameter) channel with the thinnest friction pad. This is how the ATLAS mounted to the other FZ6 bikes. Maybe yours is different because of changes through the years. Adjust the channel setting to find the correct size. Don't over tighten it or you will compress the handlebar, restricting free play of the throttle.
3) If you have any grim on your throttle housing, where the friction pad touches, clean it off.
4) You must use a friction pad for the ATLAS to work properly. If it's rubbing, use a thinner friction pad and/or position the ATLAS farther away from the throttle housing to give it some space.

You might be wondering how I found this thread. I have a tool I use to keep track of our brands keywords. Its called Mentions. We use it to help people who might be posting their questions online. You can also email me directly through the contact form on our website. Photos of your install are always welcome.

fz6.jpg

FZ6-Throttle-Lock.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 73

Mud$hooter

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, I have to agree. :( It worked well the first time I used it, but ever since it has slipped as Druff reported. It also takes one heck of a push to engage (disengaging it is quick and easy). It slips very slowly so it gives you a chance to shake out your hand, and a very light pressure keeps it in place, so I'll be leaving it on the bike (I have it on my beemer).

Hey Botch, Thank you for your feedback!

All earlier ATLAS units had a higher spring rating, making the button fairly hard to press for some people with previous hand injuries. It was myself and another guy testing the spring rating before we started assembling the first batch. Neither of us had any issue with the spring rating. I still have one of the original units on my motorcycle and it's smooth and easy to press.

With that said, we have lessened the spring rating considerably. There were a few women and men with hand injuries who couldn't press the button in all the way. I would demonstrate pressing the button 20 times, then let them press the button, and they still struggled. We went back to the drawing board and found a way to lesson the pressure. I then brought the new design to our test group and voila, problem fixed!

No offence to grandmas, but there are a lot of them on the road with the softer ATLAS on their bikes and they are loving it. The new spring rating made the difference. If your ATLAS is too hard to press, contact me through our website and we can work something out.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Botch, Thank you for your feedback!

All earlier ATLAS units had a higher spring rating, making the button fairly hard to press for some people with previous hand injuries. It was myself and another guy testing the spring rating before we started assembling the first batch. Neither of us had any issue with the spring rating. I still have one of the original units on my motorcycle and it's smooth and easy to press.

With that said, we have lessened the spring rating considerably. There were a few women and men with hand injuries who couldn't press the button in all the way. I would demonstrate pressing the button 20 times, then let them press the button, and they still struggled. We went back to the drawing board and found a way to lesson the pressure. I then brought the new design to our test group and voila, problem fixed!

No offence to grandmas, but there are a lot of them on the road with the softer ATLAS on their bikes and they are loving it. The new spring rating made the difference. If your ATLAS is too hard to press, contact me through our website and we can work something out.

Thanks much, MudShooter, will do so tomorrow.
I don't have any hand injuries, I'm just weak. Blah