Aug 11-16 Blue Ridge Pkwy, Deal's Gap

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Planning a long ride that builds on one from last year that five of us from this forum took.

(You can see details of that ride here: August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA)

That was a three day tour, and was such a great time that we're doing a longer one this year. Starts on 8/11, ends on Saturday 8/16. Two of us from last year are in at this point:

Ohendo (Brian)

Lghtmgr (John)

Possible:

Gweeven

Brackson

Rumblestrip

We're in the VERY early planning stages for this trip, but here is the general idea:

Day 1: Depart from West Chester, PA (190 miles)

Arrive Front Royal, VA to meet up with John

Ride Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge PKWY to Roanoke, VA (170 miles)

Stay overnight in cheap motel ($50)

Day 2: Depart flea bag motel in Roanoke

Ride BRP to Maggie Valley, NC (~300 miles)

Stay overnight at Creekside Lodge in Maggie Valley ($50) for the next three nights

or

End up at a campground to be named later and pitch a tent for three nights.

Day 3: Tail of the Dragon loop:

Tail Loop

Day 4: One of these routes, both amazing apparently:

NE Loop

SE Loop

Might be a better idea to get a loop that includes the tail again.

Day 5/6: Ride home. I'll probably do mostly slab (I-81) to make quick

work of it. Or not. Open to suggestions.

Will need to work in food/fuel stops, breaks, etc. and see if we need to tweak anything. I know this isn't your typical ride on a Saturday or Sunday, but anyone who wants to can join us for part or all of the ride. Like I said, very early planning, but the dates are set.

Stoked!

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, what ever the route I AM IN!! most likely catch the train up again and burn out of there when we are in TN somewhere. ALL STOKED UP going to be a long wait.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks epic! Unfortunately, it may be out of the scope of what I can do for a few reasons, including taking a new job which means much less vacation time than I formerly had. I've subscribed to the thread in the event that I feel like I could make part of it. Plan away, my friends! If anything, I'll be living vicariously through this. :rockon:

Side note (I may start a thread about it later): I did my first "real" ride yesterday, about 225 miles through rural Virginia and West Virginia, including some nice Appalachian twisties on VA route 6, US route 250 (VA to WV), and US route 33 (WV to VA). We left around 10am, and got back to town around 5:30. I'm definitely new to riding them, and it brought up Deals Gap in conversation more than once. I know that's some serious riding. My question would be as to what level of expertise you guys think that requires. I felt like a granny at some points, yesterday, as I always try to ride to my ability and not push it further than I can take the bike. The other guys I was riding with have much more experience and were cool about waiting up at stopping points, but I did lag behind a bit. Blah

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks epic! Unfortunately, it may be out of the scope of what I can do for a few reasons, including taking a new job which means much less vacation time than I formerly had. I've subscribed to the thread in the event that I feel like I could make part of it. Plan away, my friends! If anything, I'll be living vicariously through this. :rockon:

Side note (I may start a thread about it later): I did my first "real" ride yesterday, about 225 miles through rural Virginia and West Virginia, including some nice Appalachian twisties on VA route 6, US route 250 (VA to WV), and US route 33 (WV to VA). We left around 10am, and got back to town around 5:30. I'm definitely new to riding them, and it brought up Deals Gap in conversation more than once. I know that's some serious riding. My question would be as to what level of expertise you guys think that requires. I felt like a granny at some points, yesterday, as I always try to ride to my ability and not push it further than I can take the bike. The other guys I was riding with have much more experience and were cool about waiting up at stopping points, but I did lag behind a bit. Blah

Yeah, it's a big commitment. Using valuable vacation time is tough, especially when you have family. But I look at it as personal therapy, much cheaper than a psychologist!

As for your question about level of expertise required, I guess you shouldn't be a complete newbie, but I would never expect someone to ride beyond their abilities. Hit the twisties at whatever speed matches your ability, catch up on the straights. Anyone can go fast on a straight, so the more experienced riders who took the turns faster ease up on the straights until the others catch up. For some good reading to improve your general riding ability, check out this article: The Pace. Awesome read.

In general (while on a group ride) if at any time you feel you are riding above your limit, slow down! Wave the other riders by, drop to the back, pull over if necessary, and discuss the issue with the ride leader/tail. We respect responsible riders including those who know their limits on any given day.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it's a big commitment. Using valuable vacation time is tough, especially when you have family. But I look at it as personal therapy, much cheaper than a psychologist!

As for your question about level of expertise required, I guess you shouldn't be a complete newbie, but I would never expect someone to ride beyond their abilities. Hit the twisties at whatever speed matches your ability, catch up on the straights. Anyone can go fast on a straight, so the more experienced riders who took the turns faster ease up on the straights until the others catch up. For some good reading to improve your general riding ability, check out this article: The Pace. Awesome read.

In general (while on a group ride) if at any time you feel you are riding above your limit, slow down! Wave the other riders by, drop to the back, pull over if necessary, and discuss the issue with the ride leader/tail. We respect responsible riders including those who know their limits on any given day.

Thanks for the article! I'm looking forward to reading that. I'm also looking to get a copy of Twist of the Wrist sometime soon. I'm not a total newb, but also still have plenty of room for improvement in my cornering. I'll get it eventually. :thumbup: I just worry about any hotshots potentially colliding from behind.

Anyway, I'm not looking to hijack this thread. Thanks, man. Like I said, I'll be following this in the event I can participate on any leg. I live about a 30 minute ride from the beginning of the BRP in VA, where it meets Skyline Drive.

gilbermd

Reaction score
Visit site
My question would be as to what level of expertise you guys think that requires. I felt like a granny at some points, yesterday, as I always try to ride to my ability and not push it further than I can take the bike. The other guys I was riding with have much more experience and were cool about waiting up at stopping points, but I did lag behind a bit. Blah

I rode through it last year on a trip down to florida. Only been riding a few years now and that was my first time there. I got there early and went plenty slow through it the first couple times, wasnt bad at all. I pretty much left it in second and took the tight turns like turning around in a parking lot lol. Not an issue unless you start trying to keep up with faster riders, and its an awesome place!

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Ohendo for the heads up about this.

Sorry I have not checked the forums in about a month. A few days before you posted this I went down at about 40 MPH and a very tiny hole in the frame of the bike made her a total loss. So I have been healing and dealing with the insurance company, bank, and a dealership to settle the old bike and buy a new one. Which I have finally done!

Previous bike was a 2007 Red FZ6 with about 2,500 miles.
New bike is a 2009 Black FZ6 with about 1,400 miles.

Back on subject I am very interested in going, but I wont be able to commit to it for a little while still. My huge trip is going to be middle of June to end of July. My brother is getting married the weekend before this trip, and I have orientation for Nursing School on Monday August 18th. So I technically have that week open, and if it remains so then I am totally in.

I would prefer to camp instead of cheap motels if anyone else is interested. Typically its even cheaper (if you already own small camping gear) and that area has some wonderful camping areas.

I hope to see some or all of you on the road before then!
~Brackson

gweeven

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys, I'm a strong maybe. I live in south jersey near atlantic city. I went down last year at the end of august and it was awesome! I went from here to Gatlinburg in one shot, I don't really want to do that again. Your plan looks good. I just need to figure out time off of work and whatnot.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Ohendo for the heads up about this.

Sorry I have not checked the forums in about a month. A few days before you posted this I went down at about 40 MPH and a very tiny hole in the frame of the bike made her a total loss. So I have been healing and dealing with the insurance company, bank, and a dealership to settle the old bike and buy a new one. Which I have finally done!

Previous bike was a 2007 Red FZ6 with about 2,500 miles.
New bike is a 2009 Black FZ6 with about 1,400 miles.

Back on subject I am very interested in going, but I wont be able to commit to it for a little while still. My huge trip is going to be middle of June to end of July. My brother is getting married the weekend before this trip, and I have orientation for Nursing School on Monday August 18th. So I technically have that week open, and if it remains so then I am totally in.

I would prefer to camp instead of cheap motels if anyone else is interested. Typically its even cheaper (if you already own small camping gear) and that area has some wonderful camping areas.

I hope to see some or all of you on the road before then!
~Brackson

Wow, glad to hear you're okay. And pretty amazed how quickly you got back in the game with another FZ6, newer model with lower mile to boot.
We'd be happy to have you along if you are available. I do like motorcycle camping, but I know it's also nice to have a room with a hot shower and real bed too. Maybe we do a combination of the two.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys, I'm a strong maybe. I live in south jersey near atlantic city. I went down last year at the end of august and it was awesome! I went from here to Gatlinburg in one shot, I don't really want to do that again. Your plan looks good. I just need to figure out time off of work and whatnot.

Awesome! Hope it works out for you to get the time off.
You rode from AC to Gatlinburg straight through? That's about 700 miles - I can't imagine.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad to hear you're okay. And pretty amazed how quickly you got back in the game with another FZ6, newer model with lower mile to boot.
We'd be happy to have you along if you are available. I do like motorcycle camping, but I know it's also nice to have a room with a hot shower and real bed too. Maybe we do a combination of the two.

I decided immediately that I was going to ride again, and that it would be an FZ6. Even after going down it is my favorite bike I have ever ridden.

You are absolutely right about the shower. Even when camping you need to find somewhere to shower at least every couple days, that is something I can't live without. I am happy to mix it up if that is what the group wants to do!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Proposing a change to the accomodations, and tent camp while at the Tail. Saves money (as pointed out by Brackson) and it adds to the adventure of it all in my opinion. I figure we could get motel rooms the first night in Roanoke, then camp the three nights we are in NC/Ten.

I found some options through Google; there are a lot more if you guys would like to chime in with a suggestion.

Deals Gap Resort
Motel & Camping at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, Deals Gap, NC and the Great Smoky Mountains
Best choice IMO. Located right at the Tail, $12/tent ($16 for electric site)
(They also have motel rooms starting at $59/night)

Hunts Lodge
Hunt's Lodge Motorcycle Campground & Sleeping Cabins - Group Accommodations
This place looks pretty cool, but is about 50 miles from the Tail. $12/tent.
Also has cabins.

Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort
PCMR | RV Sites | Tent Camping | Great Smoky Mountains
In Maryville, TN...9 miles from the start/end of the Tail. $20/tent

Blude Ridge Motorcycle Camp
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground
About 90 miles away from the Tail in Cruso, NC. Further away but many great roads in that neck. Tent $15/night. Cabin $45/night.

Give me some feedback. I have no problem strapping my backpacking tent and sleeping bag on with the rest of my luggage.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Proposing a change to the accomodations, and tent camp while at the Tail. Saves money (as pointed out by Brackson) and it adds to the adventure of it all in my opinion. I figure we could get motel rooms the first night in Roanoke, then camp the three nights we are in NC/Ten.

I found some options through Google; there are a lot more if you guys would like to chime in with a suggestion.

Deals Gap Resort
Motel & Camping at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, Deals Gap, NC and the Great Smoky Mountains
Best choice IMO. Located right at the Tail, $12/tent ($16 for electric site)
(They also have motel rooms starting at $59/night)

Hunts Lodge
Hunt's Lodge Motorcycle Campground & Sleeping Cabins - Group Accommodations
This place looks pretty cool, but is about 50 miles from the Tail. $12/tent.
Also has cabins.

Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort
PCMR | RV Sites | Tent Camping | Great Smoky Mountains
In Maryville, TN...9 miles from the start/end of the Tail. $20/tent

Blude Ridge Motorcycle Camp
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground
About 90 miles away from the Tail in Cruso, NC. Further away but many great roads in that neck. Tent $15/night. Cabin $45/night.

Give me some feedback. I have no problem strapping my backpacking tent and sleeping bag on with the rest of my luggage.

Well they are no National Park camp grounds, but they are all decent looking. I would be willing to stay at any of them. As I would most likely be camping I will defer to those that have a preference between these places (there is alot more difference between the cabins/rooms than there is between the large plots of grass).

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE] Give me some feedback. I have no problem strapping my backpacking tent and sleeping bag on with the rest of my luggage.[/QUOTE]

OK here is my feed back, I don't care where we ride too what we do along the way as long as we ride and eat. I did camp out a few nights last year and I really don't want to again. Guess I am getting a little soft with age and enjoy comforts like a mattress and AC.
That being said as long as there are rooms or cabins I am good to go..........

Lets nail down where we will be stopping and how many nights so I can make some reservations.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny that I notice this thread now. I was there this weekend. Last minute deal. I tag up with a FZ6R buddy and spend the night in Maryville.

We did the Cherohala Skyway. 165 from 68 in Tellico Plains and connect to 129... then North to go back to Deal Gaps. Today we did the 73 Scenic from 321 and end up doing the 28 all the way down 19, 64 and 441 to I985 back towards ATL.

The first part of 73 was nice but I wont do the whole thing again on weekend. Too much traffic. 28 was nice! No traffic when we did it and not as tight as the Dragon. Can carry more speed without having to be on the break all the time.

Had a good time and will go back again with the wife later this year for a week trip. The 09 was a blast to ride there... I need to massage the rear end suspension a bit but other than that the ride was perfect!

qyhy9ary.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well they are no National Park camp grounds, but they are all decent looking. I would be willing to stay at any of them. As I would most likely be camping I will defer to those that have a preference between these places (there is alot more difference between the cabins/rooms than there is between the large plots of grass).

I checked out the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, which looks great for camping. But I think it'll be good to have supplies (food, beer, etc.) close by since we won't be packing this stuff. Plus there will be other guys on extended rides at these places that might offer up some good tips. And not everyone in the group wants to camp.

lghtmgr; said:
...as long as there are rooms or cabins I am good to go..........

Lets nail down where we will be stopping and how many nights so I can make some reservations.

Deals Gap seems to be the most convenient, but also gets an occasional poor review (just like everything does). The rooms are $65, have a queen plus a bunk bed. If you're good with it, go ahead and book it. Maybe Anthony will want to split it with ya. If not, I'll split with you one of the three nights, camp the other two. They have a 48 hr full refund cancellation policy.
800-889-5550

No reservation required for tent camping, first come-first served.

jallen4717

Reaction score
Visit site
Day 3: Tail of the Dragon loop:
Tail Loop

Day 4: One of these routes, both amazing apparently:
NE Loop
SE Loop

Might be a better idea to get a loop that includes the tail again.

It is unlikely that I will be able to link up with you guys but just left that area last week (This was my 3rd year in a row). I wanted to list some of the twisties not included on your maps that I found particularly enjoyable since it appears you may be quite close...

US276 between Brevard and north to the intersection with NC215.
NC215 between US64 and north to the junction with US276.
NC28 between Highlands all the way to the dragon (there is a 15-20 mile flat boring part in there though)
NC226A (part of diamonback loop) is freshly paved this spring and is quite enjoyable with good views in Little Switzerland.
Also, on the BRP, views are exceptional between NC215 and NC151.
*SR1756 is quite rough the first few miles when traveled east to west but turns into a pretty nice road after you get past that part

I have done some primitive camping in the area so I know a few spots if interested and would also suggest Griffin cabins in Robbinsville as a lodging option if the group doesn't get much larger. I stayed at their IU gap house a couple years ago and it has four beds plus a couch and cost like $100 regardless of occupancy. ***Disclaimer it's in Graham County, the only dry county in NC***

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If y'all have the time y'all should ride down to blood mtn in north ga, personally I like it better than deals gap because most of its 3 lane banked turns where you can keep the speeds a little higher and actually use some gears

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just over a month out. I haven't made any reservations for our Roanoke pit stop on day 1, will get on it tomorrow.
John, did you make your reservation at Deals Gap? Maybe Anthony wants to share a room to save on costs, he hasn't replied lately so not sure he wants to tent it. I'll PM him.

Ride is still open to anyone who cares to join!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Leaving tomorrow for the Smoky Mountains. I'll be camping the first 2 nights. Well... I'll see how it goes.

Not a clear shot... but she's ready.
ga8esapa.jpg