Aug 11-16 Blue Ridge Pkwy, Deal's Gap

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Any guess on miles? I have missed this but am gonna do some looking to see if I can swing it money wise depending on his many miles we run. I would probably meet in pa or just south of there and depart from the Tenn area . if I can swing it there is a possibility of a nice spot to camp for free as part of the wife's family has a house about 7 miles off the tail on 72.

I would be on my goldwing but I may load her fz6 for her and have her meet us there and run the tail again ( she has pain issues and would not be able to make the ride. Down and back) I would probably head home after from there. But need to check $$$ first and see about work!

edit to add that the first leg you posted is also known as the cherahola loop! and is quite a fun ride! we did it both directions last time we were down ( we stayed a few miles off the tail remember) and it was great!

also while down in the corner of the loop, (i dont remember what roads, but there is a gas staition on the corner!) you can go for a slow jaunt up the road and check out bald river falls while out that way.

here is the river that you follow out.

the falls

and if you spot this on 72 just to the west of the tail, this is the cabin that her family has on the property beside them.

and as for the day 4 part of the trip i will see if i can contact them and see which would be "better" who better to know than the locals?

edit again cause it looks like i could swing the work part, now to see about the wife part?

Got wife clearance. Now fundage check !

The only other issue I see possibility being an issue is this would be my first big trip on the wing and first through real twisties with it and I am not sure how well I will keep up on this fat pig!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome news, hope the fundage part works out!

Total miles? Well, for me just getting down there is about 700. While down there we'll ride whatever we feel comfortable with, taking in the scenery as well (such as the falls that you posted). So that part is up in the air.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still a maybe on this. It depends on if I sell the bike by then, and how the divorce is advancing. I'll update as we get closer.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Updated route info. Ride is still a go, although only two confirmed at this point.

Leg 1 (just me) gets me to Front Royal, VA. Mostly slab, nothing to note.
https://goo.gl/maps/1pyVp

Leg 2
https://goo.gl/maps/iYmpI
Avoids first section of Skyline Drive in favor of 211 (highly recommended), then picks up Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Pkwy. Eventually jumps to I-81 to chew up some miles to Roanoke. If making good time might push onward on I-81 to shorten Leg 3's total load. Will find a cheap motel on the fly.

Leg 3 (Day 2)
https://goo.gl/maps/fLWbr
Long day of riding to get to Deals Gap. Starts on I-81, again to chew up miles. Then jumps off the slab to 23 in Tenn to hit 209 and ride "The Rattler" (some say it's better than the Dragon). Finishes at Deals Gap Resort, hopefully still daylight to pitch the tent.

Will play it by ear on routes to run while down there, obviously the Skyway and the Dragon, but hopefully time to run all the suggested routes I've received as well.

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like fundage would work but time off work got the Vito! I will keep an eye on the thread and the results. You guys have a blast. And I may just follow a similar rout around the middle of September or so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Pass through Boone, NC on a Friday or Saturday night and you may pitch tents at mi casa... which is 30 mins from the Snake aka 421/home track aka Shady Valley, TN aka get your T shirt = been there done that! Lol!

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am out sadly. Divorce is going slowly, issues with school stuff, and I am so broke right now. I haven't had any time recently. I haven't even sat on the bike since I got back from my last trip early, and that was a month ago... sigh.

Good luck guys, and have fun. I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing your stories.