Automotive coolant in motorbike radiator?

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings house,

Is it wrong to use automotive coolant for motorbikes? Are there special motorcycle coolants out there? And what's the difference between them? Also, what's the effect of automotive coolant on the bike engine or cooling system?

Does anyone use automotive coolant in his/her bike here? Have you had any problems?

Thanks...

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the same. Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is the same in both, whether the label says it's for a motorcycle or not. Just make sure you use distilled water to mix if you don't buy premixed coolant.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most automotive coolants are premixed 50:50 50 percent water and 50 antifreeze. The water has better qualities to transfer temperature. The coolant/anti freeze has properties that lubricate and protect seals and metal as well as lowering freezing point and raising boiling point. Raising the boiling point reduces pressure so that the coolant resists expansion and boil over.

If you have an anti freeze that is not pre mixed 50:50 then add 50 percent water. Preferably distilled water that is freer of mineral that can bond to internal parts of the cooling system.

Yes automotive and motorcycle coolants are the same unless you're talking about coolants used on the race track that are not recommended for prolonged use.:)

Last edited:

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, but some guy said automotive coolant contains some chemicals that could damage motorbike water pump seals, other guy says its not good enough for motorbike use... I would have thought it shouldn't matter...

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Was this guy selling "motorcycle coolant?" If so, I think what he meant to say was, "automotive coolant contains some chemicals that could damage my sales."

If you live in an area that doesn't get very cold you can use less antifreeze and more water. Water has a higher specific heat than antifreeze, so it can "hold" more heat than antifreeze alone. You can try a 70/30 or even an 80/20 mix if it's especially hot where you are.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Auto antifreeze uses silicates to fight corrosion. Silicates are abrasive and can cause premature wear in some water pumps. I know Honda had a problem with this and insist on motorcycle antifreeze. I don't know if our yamaha pumps are affected but it's only a few dollars more for motorcycle antifreeze so thats what I buy. Many motorcycle antifreeze have a wetting agent that help cooling also.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use and recommend a silicate free coolant (Honda type 2, Motul MoCool, for example) as the silicates have been known to fall out of suspension and ruin water pump seals etc.

If you don't get the premix, make sure you mix the concentrate with distilled water, only)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Auto antifreeze uses silicates to fight corrosion. Silicates are abrasive and can cause premature wear in some water pumps. I know Honda had a problem with this and insist on motorcycle antifreeze. I don't know if our yamaha pumps are affected but it's only a few dollars more for motorcycle antifreeze so thats what I buy. Many motorcycle antifreeze have a wetting agent that help cooling also.

The Prestone 50/50 mix noted above, per the gallon jug ,contains the following(in this order):

"Water
ethylene glycol
diethylene glycol
sodium2-ethyl hexanoate
sodium neodeceanoate"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

From Prestone's website:

http://prestone.com/learn_more/frequently_asked_questions?select_region=1

Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A:
Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.
* DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.

Last edited:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
The Prestone Extended Life antifreezes are silicate-free (and borate- and phosphate-free).

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I never mention Prestone although they do recommend using there Xtreme Sport antifreeze in motorcycles.

But the OP is from Africa and instead of leaving it to the motorcyclist to figure out what product they have available and what minerals they have in there water it's easier to just buy a premix antifreeze with a motorcycle on the packaging.

The Prestone 50/50 mix noted above, per the gallon jug ,contains the following(in this order):

"Water
ethylene glycol
diethylene glycol
sodium2-ethyl hexanoate
sodium neodeceanoate"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

From Prestone's website:

Frequently Asked Questions | Learn More | Prestone®

Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A:
Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.
* DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never mention Prestone although they do recommend using there Xtreme Sport antifreeze in motorcycles.

But the OP is from Africa and instead of leaving it to the motorcyclist to figure out what product they have available and what minerals they have in there water it's easier to just buy a premix antifreeze with a motorcycle on the packaging.

The Op asked for options:

Is it wrong to use automotive coolant for motorbikes? Are there special motorcycle coolants out there? And what's the difference between them? Also, what's the effect of automotive coolant on the bike engine or cooling system?

Does anyone use automotive coolant in his/her bike here? Have you had any problems?

Some folks believe Prestone has silicates, it does NOT and is an option (as posted above (and is AN AUTOMOTIVE COOLANT) and is considerably cheaper (approx $10 gallon vs $10 quart MC specific coolant).

I was answering his question.:thumbup:

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used Prestone automotive coolant for the past 10K miles, no problems whatsoever.

Coolant is kinda like oil; it matters very little what brand you use so long as it doesn't run low and is changed at the proper intervals. :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coolant is kinda like oil; it matters very little what brand you use so long as it doesn't run low and is changed at the proper intervals. :thumbup:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Silicate based coolants have been the cause of too many failed water pumps, and water pump seals for that to be the case. (do a search)

Silicates can (and do) fall out of suspension, accumulate around the water pump seals, and can (and do) lead to premature failure.

I mean, it's your call, but I know what I do and recommend.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced my coolant with the Honda Level 2 Coolant. Must say that the engine seems to be running a bit cooler than before especially in stop and go traffic.

Probably the change of coolant, rather than the type of coolant, but it can't hurt anything.

I am fastidious with my bike. I use Motul fully synthetic oil every 5000kms, at $95 per change, because I don't want to have to wish I'd used better oil if I have premature failure.

Treat her right, and she'll treat you right.

Cheers,
Rick

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated.

Yeah I stay in Africa where temperatures are usually >30 deg C and 125cc motorcycles are common but bigger bikes like ours are very uncommon and are viewed with awe by some and disdain by others. :D , that being said, parts and gear are hard to come by and usually have to be shipped in from UK or USA. Shipping costs being very prohibitive, I try to ship only the most important things ( plugs, filters and other parts). Consumables such as coolant and oil are too expensive to ship and are some times prohibited by customs so I'd rather use substitutes (automotive oil and coolant). I have found an automotive coolant free of silicates and phosphates which are the culprits for damaging the water pump seals. I think i'll run with that.

Thanks once again guys.

Last edited: