Back to the FZ6

dlamarcus1234

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say that after almost 2 years on a FZ1 I am back on a FZ6. I came off a 2005 FZ6 and thought I wanted the bigger FZ1 to ride around on. I had test rode a Gen 1 FZ1 a while back and really liked it and when the opportunity presented a low mileage Gen II FZ1 I picked it up asap. Little did I know how much of a difference the Gen 1 and Gen II FZ1's were. To sum it up I just was unhappy with my 07 FZ1. So here I am again on a 05 FZ6. I picked it up for $2k with just under 7K miles on it. The only thing wrong is a dent in the side of the tank and that is it! If anybody is looking for a 2nd gen FZ1 to play around on I have one for sale. Here is a picture of my new to me FZ6

dlamarcus1234

Reaction score
Visit site
I pretty much ride year round here in Texas, so with the small tank and not so good gas mileage I was always on the lookout for a gas station.The FZ6 just suits me better. Sure the 6 may not be as powerful but honestly the 6 is all I need.

chornbe

Reaction score
thepacepodcast.com
The FZ6 really is a more enjoyable bike than the Gen II FZ1, IMO.

What didn't you like about the 1, specifically, if I may ask?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting move. Many of us have gone from FZ6 to FZ1 (myself included.. from 07 to 07) and you're the 1st one I hear from who's unhappy about the move.

I loved my 6 for a few years and have now loved my 1 for 2.5 years. No doubt fuel eco and reduced range is a pretty big hit, when moving to 1 from 6. It's also a bit of a pig compared to 6 in the twisties, but there are so many good (better) things about it too.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=18985]dlamarcus1234[/MENTION]; You are not alone in this. I moved on from a Gen 1 FZ1 to a Gen 2 and regretted it almost immediately. Hence why I owned the bike less than a year; although I went a bit different direction than you (To the FZ-09).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps this kind of stuff??

attachment.php

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
alright I am going to have to hear some dang good reasons for not liking the genII FZ1....I was looking for one...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
alright I am going to have to hear some dang good reasons for not liking the genII FZ1....I was looking for one...

Should probably start a new thread, but in short.. just as I said above:
1. Fuel economy is worse. With me riding both the same way, I got 43 on FZ6 and 35 on FZ1.
2. It's a bit of a pig in the twisties. It can still be ridden aggressivly and kick butt, but I can't do it without shifting my weight, like I used to be able to on FZ6.

Honestly.. pretty much everything else I like better about FZ1 :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is weight difference between gen1 & 2 vs 6? Is the G1 more flickable than the G2? I love the 6 cause you can toss it around....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is weight difference between gen1 & 2 vs 6? Is the G1 more flickable than the G2? I love the 6 cause you can toss it around....

I think Gen1 and Gen2 weigh about the same. 459 dry for Gen1. Pretty sure FZ6 is ~420 dry.

It's not just the weight though. Several things add up to Gen2's piggishness. The weight, the very long swingarm and the fat rear tire.

Can't comment on how Gen1 ride.. never ridden one, but I know most people on FZ1 forum say it was better than Gen2.. AND got mid 40's to the gallon. :don'tknow:

dlamarcus1234

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for just now replying, Its not that I didn't like the FZ1, its just that I didn't love it. If I didn't commute, and ride on the weekends then I would probably keep it, however I hated the fact that I was always looking down at my gas gauge and wondering where the next fuel station would be when I rode out in the hill country, and my last trip to Twisted Sisters out near Leakey almost left me pushing the bike a couple of times due to the lack of fuel stations where I was at. In all it was a good bike, and it would be a great hooligan bike to just have fun on, but honestly I didn't need all the power. Sure it was fun, but the FZ6 has decent power, and a good rush up top if I needed to open it up! I hope I don't discourage any other riders wanting to upgrade to the FZ1, but it just didn't quite fit what I need/ like in a motorcycle.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Bigger isn't always better.....I've always preferred midrange, lighter bikes.

At times I've gone for bigger ones....Bandit 12, R1150GS, V-Strom 1000, TDM 900.....but just never enjoyed them as much.

So I've always ended up going back to midrange! Thing is, it's all about what fits well with you.....it's a personal thing.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How fat is that rear tire, 190? How wide is the rim?

Tire is 190. Not sure how fat the rim is. Some folks replace the tire with a 180 and some go to 190/55 instead of the stock 190/50.

Don't get me wrong.. it handles very well, but in stock form it just doesn't dip as willingly and easily as FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, one of the most important deciding factors for a motorcycle is fuel range. There is nothing worse than having to begin looking for fuel, that is the last thing I want to be thinking about when I'm out on a road trip.

This is part of the reason I still have my FZ6 and will continue to own it even when I get my next bike. Not very many 600cc bikes that comes with over a 5 gallon tank. For me, I do not like to make multiple stops when I use my bike for travelling which is different from touring. I try to minimize my stops and down time to the absolute minimum. Sometimes, I just want to get to point A to B. It doesn't bother me riding 4 straight hours without a break.

If I ever purchase a car or truck, fuel range would be one of my deciding factors as well.

oldschoolsdime92

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to go back to an fz6 from my gen 1 fz1 as well. I prefer the lower power bike. It's more fun. I just need to figure out what I want to do suspension wize on the 6. Once you've had nicely set up after market suspension components , stock stuff really shows it's flaws quickly.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I pretty much ride year round here in Texas, so with the small tank and not so good gas mileage I was always on the lookout for a gas station.The FZ6 just suits me better. Sure the 6 may not be as powerful but honestly the 6 is all I need.

Congrats! I've had my FZ6 for going on 8 years and never once thought to replace it with a liter bike.

Truth is NO ONE needs more than 98 hp in a 430 lb bike! Anyone claiming they "need" a liter bike for any reason other than "I like to drag race" is full of crap. You don't need a liter bike anymore than you need a Ferrari. You WANT! :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I've had my FZ6 for going on 8 years and never once thought to replace it with a liter bike.

Truth is NO ONE needs more than 98 hp in a 430 lb bike! Anyone claiming they "need" a liter bike for any reason other than "I like to drag race" is full of crap. You don't need a liter bike anymore than you need a Ferrari. You WANT! :spank:

Ah that old word *need*. Of course no one needs it.. heck.. 98hp is more than we need on FZ6. I remember folks on Ninja 250 forum saying "no one needs a 600cc bike. 250 is faster than most cars from zero to 60", etc.
There are definite benefits though. Some of the things I love about FZ1 (would apply to any liter bike):
1. Less vibration than 600.
2. Lower RPM at highway speed (again.. less vibes).
3. No real need to shift, unless you feel like it.

It's a very different riding experience. I know that at this point I prefer a liter bike for street use. It can be ridden like FZ6 (keeping RPMs high and having fun), but it can also be ridden at 3k rpm, where you barely know the engine's on.. no vibes.. totally relaxed.. and STILL pull about the same as FZ6 from 5k. :thumbup:

oldschoolsdime92

Reaction score
Visit site
I find for myself, the smaller bike is more fun. The fz1 is fun, but barley rolling through the throttle has you at well over the speed limit. Its a hoot on the track, but the street, it seems lazy. You can pop it in second gear and never shift.