Bar-end weight recommendations?

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a new (used) 2007 fz6 and I find my hands going numb on the highway. I rode an old honda nighthawk before that and never had a problem, so I don't think it's my hand position, grip, or gloves. I would guess it has a lot more to do with vibrations caused by how much higher the engine speed is at highway speed.

I'd like to get some nice heavy bar end weights to try and calm it down a little. I don't want fancy shiny chrome, I just want heavy, functional, and preferably black. And I'd like them to not cost $70 like the ones I've seen so far. Any suggestions?

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
At first, I recommend you to change the tightning torque(just little bit) of handle bar clamp.

Incidentally, you can use FZR1000's(3GM) or YZF1000R's(ThunderAce, 4SV; not R1) one, if you using stock handle bar. Especially, 4SV bar end weight is extraheavy (550g;FZ6 one is 300g). FZR one is around 400g.

#P/N
FZR1000 : 36Y-26246-00-00
YZF1000R Thunder ace : 4SV-26246-00-00

I guess it cost around $20-$30 for both weight.

enjoy!

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
At first, I recommend you to change the tightning torque(just little bit) of handle bar clamp.

Should I go a little looser or a little tigher? Or does it matter so long as it's just different? I just found the toque in the service manual to be 23Nm, so I think I'll remove the handlebar entirely and then re-tighten it down to that spec. Thanks, that's a good idea.

Incidentally, you can use FZR1000's(3GM) or YZF1000R's(ThunderAce, 4SV; not R1) one, if you using stock handle bar. Especially, 4SV bar end weight is extraheavy (550g;FZ6 one is 300g). FZR one is around 400g.
#P/N
FZR1000 : 36Y-26246-00-00
YZF1000R Thunder ace : 4SV-26246-00-00
I guess it cost around $20-$30 for both weight.
enjoy!

So are those the stock weights for those bikes, then? I would get those from a dealer/parts warehouse or something, then?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Should I go a little looser or a little tigher? Or does it matter so long as it's just different? I just found the toque in the service manual to be 23Nm, so I think I'll remove the handlebar entirely and then re-tighten it down to that spec. Thanks, that's a good idea.

tighter, the idea is to hold the bar tighter so there is less vibrations

So are those the stock weights for those bikes, then? I would get those from a dealer/parts warehouse or something, then?

those are the stock part #'s and yes your dealership should be able to get them for you. Also you may be able to find them cheaper online @ like Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories

hope this helps

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say tighter or loser will work well because, I don't know yours is on 23N-m(It is spec). Incidentally, vibration character is somehow depend on stiffness property around handle include triple tree. It means sometime tighter will work for "someone" also looser work well for "someone"

Also, YAMAHA factory tight screws by air driven impact wrench and, I can't say it is accurate assemble method.

Why don't you taking half day trip with torque wrench? Also, I recommend you start from 23N-m(Sorry I'm not familiar with the unit in USA)

Allow my bumbleheaded explanation.

Yes, you can order both type weight in USA.