Bars, ends, and grips... Oh my!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for the collective knowledge on what to do here. Bases on what I've read, I'm going with FZ1 bars. That's the easy part. What I'm not sure on is the bar ends and grips.

I had at one point considered throttlemeister ends but at the price they go for, it's not worth it for the occasional long trip (will get some other easy on, easy off throttle lock solution later).

So what's the consensus? Reuse stock ends? Do they even work without additional modification? And grips... I'm mainly replacing them just to have something new. I'd like something that's comfortable, look relatively stock (not the flashy type), and aren't too expensive.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock bar ends are very good and they mount to FZ1 handlebar without any modifications. If you have the cash, consider HVMP bar ends. They're also a direct bold-on, but weight more than stock ones and everyone who uses them reports a drop in bar vibrations.
As for grips.. many will be better than stock. I like Progrip 719. Chunky with lots more soft rubber compared to stock.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the HVMP bar ends and they solved all my vibration issues, but I wanted something thicker on the grip
I use a pipe insulation rubber material, the same stuff that surfers put on their car roof racks to to protect their surf boards.
Its cheap enough and easy to fit. I must look at grip puppies for a more permanent solution but this will do for now. So far I havn't had a wrist issue with the the bar angle but on a naked there is no slack in the cables/wiring for risers so the FZ1 bars are the next option.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Great info guys. Thanks!

Those bar ends look nice but dang... 78 beans for the set? Funny how the entire manufactured bar costs less than half that. Seriously... There has to be some gouging here. No way should chunk of spun metal cost this much.

http://www.hvmp.com/Yamaha-s/4.htm

I was also hoping for black but it looks like stainless is the only option.

The ends would be the only tough decision here because of the cost. The bars are a no brainer for healthy wrists and the grips are generally cheap enough that I may buy a new set and puppies too. Options are nice.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Great info guys. Thanks!

Those bar ends look nice but dang... 78 beans for the set? Funny how the entire manufactured bar costs less than half that. Seriously... There has to be some gouging here. No way should chunk of spun metal cost this much.

This is the world of motorcycle parts and accessories. If someone can explain to me how two cans and a Y pipe cost $800, I would love to hear it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spider grips are sticky like glue and a tad larger than stock. Work great on fz1 bars.
Ditto on the $800 cans.. .. ..
IMG_20130420_165225_838WEB_zps6402f25a.jpg

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the Throttlemeister bar ends. It's a cruise control and extra weight on the end of the bars. Works sweet. + on the FZ1 bars also. I might have to try the spider grips. Never heard of them. I also us the Grip Puppies over my grips. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the Throttlemeister bar ends. It's a cruise control and extra weight on the end of the bars. Works sweet. + on the FZ1 bars also. I might have to try the spider grips. Never heard of them. I also us the Grip Puppies over my grips. :thumbup:

Head to EDR off 217. $12 bucks and a real good staff.