Basic Mod Questions

diggler07

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my Fz6 for about a year now. And while its plenty fast and fun to ride around I have been looking for something to give it a little boost, especially in the low and mid ranges. The mods I am considering would be somewhere along the lines of a power commander (or some kind of fuel mapper), exhaust, or possibly different cams. I don't really want to mess around with the sprocket cause I do some long trips and don't want to sacrifice my mileage too much.

As much as I'd love to do it all the cash i have really only allows me to do one. What would you guys think would give me the best bang for the buck? Or if there are any other mods that you would suggest would be helpful. Thanks

Drop one tooth on the front sprocket is you best mod. I do long rides all the time and it works out just fine. I would not do the -1/+2 for your type of riding.

yea I would look at going down one on the front sprocket, which will give you some jump without killing your cruising ability, and since that is only about a $20.00 fix I would also look at a power commander to richen up your mixture and give you better power throughout the power band. The only thing is, as soon as you start modding for more power and acceleration, the worse your gas milage will get...I have a two bros system, cat eliminator, power commander, and a K&N high flow air filter on mine and still get 40 miles per gallon pretty easily, and that's with some drag racing and twisty riding. I will post up how much my milage drops when I go to my 520 conversion -1 front +2 rear sprocket change next week.

This weekend I dropped one tooth on my front sproket and my observations are that the bike is quicker due to the higher rpm's it now takes to go the same speed with the stock sprocket, the speedometer is off by about 10% (displays faster than actual speed), and running through the gears fast the back tire will sometimes cut loose now. In all, I'm glad I did it. Not sure how it will affect my gas mileage.

ok sprocket on and been riding it for over a week now. Gas milage dropped about 10 miles per tank, but I gotta say, now that I have that extra torque I've been using it! Drag racing my buddy on his CBR600, picking up the front tire all the way through first......blasting up to 130 in this 5 mile valley out in rural Cali.....not been babying it that's for sure. I think the reality is it doesn't affect mileage that much, but you do end up shifting a lot more especially around town, which in the long run could fry your clutch and tranny a little quicker, but all in all the best mod I've done so far and well worth any extra maintenance down the road. Just make sure you install a speedohealer because otherwise your speedometer will be off and you will rack up your odometer quicker leading to a lower resale value.

Back