Batteries and Upgrades

LewisFZ6S2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

Few questions... I have a 2008 FZ6 S2.

It's all stock, I need a new battery, any recommendations for a decent one?

Also any recommendations on power commanders and air filters and cans?

I want a power commander, with some upgraded filters and none-stock cans not for super noise or silly power, for a little extra zing and an over all increase in fuel economy.... Anyone got ideas? I don't want to go to my main dealer for them to charge top spec for the lowest level commander, which is best?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

Yep, don't know how that happened...:confused:

Here it is, Shorai, Lithium battery:

https://www.motomummy.com/store/pro...t=255&page=1&gclid=CLuirKfSr60CFYpY7Aodkl9uog

The shorai is awesome, but expensive. I held one at the DC motorcycle show, it is unbelievably light.

I ended up going with the TruGel battery from bike master though, I got it for a good deal.

My stock Yuasa lasted way longer than it probably should have. It had 3 winters of riding on it, and was run flat a few times. More than I could ask for from a stock battery.

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Still have the stock battery on my 04. The Optimate still indicates its condition as "good." I'm considering replacing at the start of season just as a precaution. Are there any other indicators I should look for that the battery "should" be changed or do I just go for an all time longevitiy record.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As of like 2 years ago there were still first Gen Miatas from the early 1990s still running on their original Panasonic Gel batteries. Gonna be hard to beat that lol.

You can get a multimeter and measure voltage at the terminals while cranking the engine. Battery voltage shouldn't fall below I believe 9.5ish volts or so. It's not real accurate but will give you an idea.

You can always pull the battery and have a parts store do a load test on it and see how it performs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still have the stock battery on my 04. The Optimate still indicates its condition as "good." I'm considering replacing at the start of season just as a precaution. Are there any other indicators I should look for that the battery "should" be changed or do I just go for an all time longevitiy record.

When my original FZ6 battery started to go, I noticed the dash lights flickering when cranking.. A volt meter showed 8 volts cranking, but it still started. It was a little over 3 years old. A self induced clock re-set is a definite clue the battery is failing..

The FZ spins over pretty quick and seems to be pretty easy on batteries...

As noted above, a load test would give a definite answer if its failing or not...

I'd personally run it until it gives some symptoms of failing.

BTW, some guys on the FJR forum still have the original bagttery on their 03's and 04's. Mine likes to replaced every 3 years (give or take a month). The FJR pulls considerably more amps cranking than the FZ.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently bought Cycle Gear's battery. It was pretty expensive I paid around $130, but it has a life time warranty. I figured if it replaces itself once, it will have paid for itself. I really don't know how well it will hold up, but I guess it really doesn't matter, since I can get another one for free. :BLAA:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the battery on my 04 about 3 years ago. The average battery life is 4-5 years. It finally quit on me when I had to ride stop and go traffic in the middle of summer with the fans going. I stopped for gas and it wouldn't crank anymore. Had my wife (g/f at the time) give me a push to pop start it. I went for a good ride keeping the revs up before parking it. It helped a little, but eventually just wouldn't hold a charge, and it was replaced about a week later.

On a side note, my 03 Ranger is still on its original battery.