Battery Terminal issue

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm attempting to replace my battery, and I cannot, for the life of me, get the + terminal screw unscrewed. The damn thing just spins. I've used a screwdriver, ratchet, 10 mm crescent wrench, even, pliers and it just spins. No matter which direction I turn and for how long, the whole thing spins with no change in tightness.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm attempting to replace my battery, and I cannot, for the life of me, get the + terminal screw unscrewed. The damn thing just spins. I've used a screwdriver, ratchet, 10 mm crescent wrench, even, pliers and it just spins. No matter which direction I turn and for how long, the whole thing spins with no change in tightness.

Clamp the bolt with a small vise grip.

With a sharp 1/4" drill bit, drill dead smack down the middle of the bolt head till the head falls off.

As your replacing the battery, STOP just shy of the cable (which your re-using)..

The cable will now be free and the battery can be yanked...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like your positive terminal is damaged. Generally the nut should not spin and it sounds like it's spinning free in the terminal. Normally the nut is caged in the square lead mounting terminal. The terminal is made of lead, so it is a very soft material and it is probably not holding the nut anymore. Make sure your negative lead is disconnected and tucked away so that it cannot contact the negative battery terminal. Then you can safely work on the positive terminal. You will probably have to cut that positive lead terminal off the the battery so then you will have access to the nut. The nut and bolt may be seized so once the battery is removed you may have to do more work by cutting the bolt.

Very important! Wear safety eye wear when working on this!!!
When I was a kid, checking a battery, I once got the smallest drop of acid near the edge of my eye. It was a horrible experience. Batteries can do surprising stuff. They can produce high current and chemical accidents. Have a safe and successful repair! :)

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I tried drilling with moderate success. The terminal ended up breaking off and now I have the battery out but I still have take apart the connections. Once again the bolt seems to just spin. I tried clamping the remaining bit of the terminal, the connection, and the square nut snd turning the head of the bolt, with no success.
b34def239fbc20bcf9fbd37b0966437b.jpg
33fdbb1044d56cf99a899709f1dde6ab.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simply un-bolt that cable from the starter relay(the other end) now.

Then clamp our "problem bolt" in a vise and drill / grind at the bolt till it's "dust".

As noted, sounds like the internal threads stripped...

Just don't tear up the cable end...

BTW, put the new battery on a tender
(if the shop doesn't), before putting in the bike. It comes about 85% charged and
will last longer over all with the initial charge...

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
That was easy enough (thank you!) But what about. Other cable? I cannot see where to unbolt that
47b991de9c10bd39e533c4796a0fc55d.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's not a factory cable, probably a battery tender hook up.

You can still grind or drill the problem nut.

As for the "auxiliary cable", If you want to keep it (might not),
and you still have issues with your nut and bolt, simply cut the end of the added cable end off.

Replace it with a new end (available at all hardware stores)-Strip and crimp..

Last edited:

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not a factory cable, probably a battery tender hook up.

You can still grind or drill the problem nut.

As for the "auxiliary cable", If you want to keep it (might not),
and you still have issues with your nut and bolt, simply cut the end of the added cable end off.

Replace it with a new end (available at all hardware stores)-Strip and crimp..
That isn't stock. Well that makes my life easier. Thank​you for all the help. I appreciate the patience with the rookie questions