bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

demilus

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for the great write-up! So much better than any of the other mods.

I was riding towards a store-front today and saw my bike's reflection....it looks so much better with two headlights! Thanks again!

Steve McC

Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed to mod to a 2008 UK spec bike. No problems at all. Very neat solution. Ordered the wire a week ago on Friday morning, and it arrived at home at the UK the following Friday. Many thanks. Steve.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I followed the instructions and it works flawlessly. This was the first time I've flipped up the tank and worked inside the bike. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

bc8240

Reaction score
Visit site
bd43

Thanks alot!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

It took me alot longer then 1 hour because I am a beginner at everything dealing with bikes but it's done.

Works great and thanks again!

Last edited:

aproccos

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got wiring harness in the mail. Gonna go burn some gas so I can lift the tank... Thanks BD it looks great. Hope it as easy to install as everyone says it is.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
BD43, Thank you for this brilliant mod. The quality of the part is as good, if not better than a manufacturers part. Clear instructions, lightning fast delivery and well packaged.
I fitted it yesterday and it works a treat.
I had a close call though. I was out when it was delivered and our two West Highland White Terriers got the package. Luckily they were more interested in the package than the mod.

24102008021.jpg

Once again thanks and if anyone is unsure if they should go for this mod, go on, treat yourself!

Dignan

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually ordered mine some time ago (about a month) and just got around to installing it. Instructions were great and covered every step to make it work nicely. I did hop onto the thread to double check on the air box removal since I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to rip out anything important. But all in all it was simple and just as expected, it looks great. Thanks BD for everything, he shipped it in a hurry and I got it in less then one week after ordering which is quite a feat considering how far it traveled. Best addition to the bike to date!

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the wire in Thursday, and hooked up on Friday. Thanks alot. Your instructions that you sent with the wire were great!! No worries at all. The wire's construction was more than I could expect. Everyone should do this from the get go. Now I wont hear...."did you know you have a headlight out"....I thank you.:bow:

aj_fz6

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine yesterday and installed it today. I'm just as pleased with the wire I received as everyone else. Works great.

I noticed a missing bolt on my bike during the install! One of the bolts that holds the top of the battery case and air box down was missing. Either Yamaha or my dealer must have missed it. Nothing a quick trip to the hardware store couldn't fix though. Now I have all my bolts!

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
Just another thankyou from across the pond bd43...
I ordered mine and got it delivered to Ireland in around a week.
The harness/instructions/packaging was superb.
I now have two low beams on my 2008 s2 and I am delighted!

Thanks again
:rockon:

MemphisTaco

Reaction score
Visit site
Did the headlight mod today. Started before Thanksgiving dinner and finished up after dinner. Many kudos to Biker Dude. Just a question, when you put on your brights it looks to me that only one side is actually a high beam. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Again thanks Biker Dude, you should put that harness on eBay, you'd make a fortune.:):bow:

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the headlight mod today. Started before Thanksgiving dinner and finished up after dinner. Many kudos to Biker Dude. Just a question, when you put on your brights it looks to me that only one side is actually a high beam. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Again thanks Biker Dude, you should put that harness on eBay, you'd make a fortune.:):bow:

Yes this is exactly the way it supposed to be. The one side and bulb where you did the dual headlight mod is an H4 type which means that now that is connected, it works all the time on low beam and when you hit your switch to high beam it works on high beam. The H4 is a dual action bulb. On the other side, the other bulb is H7 type, single action bulb, and it works all the time on a "medium" beam(is a little bit brighter than the H4 low beam). So when you switch it on high beam only one bulb works on high beam and that's why. I think i helped a little. :thumbup:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to thank bd43 for posting this awesome how-to. I soldered up a wire to his specs and got to work. Took about an hour total to disassemble and reassemble the bike and install the wire. Finding the parts to make the wire took the longest amount of time.

Thanks again bd43! :rockon:

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi... I have a question, after the modification is done, when riding with the 2 bulbs turned on, how's the voltage consumption like as compare to the original setup?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
The second low beam consumes about 55 Watts. According to information I've seen here (if I recall correctly), that leaves about 50 Watts to spare on an otherwise stock FZ6.

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
But have anyone tested it with a voltmeter? When engine is turned off, battery should be at around 12.4V, when started, it should be between 13V to 14V, so I'm curious whether there's a significance drop in the voltage after the mod is on. :D

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
But have anyone tested it with a voltmeter? When engine is turned off, battery should be at around 12.4V, when started, it should be between 13V to 14V, so I'm curious whether there's a significance drop in the voltage after the mod is on. :D

Sorry, I just assumed you were talking about watts, as voltage is not really consumed. I cannot answer your question regarding the voltage drop. My opinion is that it probably drops a little, but as long as the battery is not discharging, there should be no problem.

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I just assumed you were talking about watts, as voltage is not really consumed. I cannot answer your question regarding the voltage drop. My opinion is that it probably drops a little, but as long as the battery is not discharging, there should be no problem.

No worries, it's all about sharing of knowledge. I used to ride a Silverwing and Majesty which are under scooter categories. For scooters, most are designed without a kickstarter, so when the battery fails, I won't know unless a voltmeter is installed on it, and there's no way I can push start it, so having a voltmeter installed can help me monitor the voltage regularly.

When I used a voltmeter, I am able to understand the standard voltages when the engine is on or off. When the engine starts, this is when the charging comes in. Normally it'll charge to around 13++V, but if there is an additional device or gadget installed for eg. higher power consumption headlight bulbs, then the drop in voltage can be seen instantly. ;)

Last edited:

Rik

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to add my thanks, recieved the harness just before Christmas, only got chance to fit it today.:Flash:

Due to BD43's excellent write-up, ond the wealth of information in this thread and throughout the forum, fitting it was easy, took about an hour as this was my first time under the tank.

So thanks to BD43, and everyone who's posted so far. Now my bike doesn't look like she has a black eye.:D

Rik