Bike died on me downshifting off the highway Fz06

Booglie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, need some serious help here. Long story short I was coming off the highway into an intersection, downshifted like normal, then as I hit second the bike died, no sputter, no jolt, nothing. Just flat out gave way. The check engine light came on and remains on. Eventually I rolled it to where i was going (luckily about a 1/4 mile away) and started troubleshooting. So heres the meat and potatoes. The bike will spin but wont turn over. Almost as though its out of gas (it is not, I just filled it up 5miles before this occurred). When i turn the ignition and turn to run you can hear the system prime itself like normal (2-3sec). The check engine light stays on and the milage only reads the first 2 numbers mileage is 19xxx bike only reads it 19 and spaces where the rest should be. Tried charging the battery and that didn't do the trick as well. The bike would spin faster but again would not turn over. No previous problems and no stalling issues. Spark plugs looked almost brand new and no connectors loose. Fuel pump looked good no gunk or anything in the tank. HELP!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is an interesting set of symptoms. Almost as if you've lost partial circuitry on the bike. Thinking about what would be common to the readout and the engine not running might be the ECU/ECM (computer)

But why not treat it as you would any quick check to see why the engine will not start. The 2 most common would be fuel and/or spark loss. Do you know if you have spark and fuel? The spark check is easy. If you have spark check for fuel.
For the fuel you might lift the tank, open the airbox and pour a very small amount of fuel into the throttle bodies and see if it starts. If it starts you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A fried ECU is likely, but as you suggest rule out the common/probable issues first. After fuel and spark are confirmed, I would always do a differential compression (leak-down) test.

Booglie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll give that a shot tonight! I think I just sent you a PM too so I'm glad I checked my post too. I'm in San Diego so salt water messing up circuitry sounds like a likely cause. She's always streeted so always exposed to the elements out here. Also a little more clairificaion on that 19. Error code 19 is what is reading. I checked the kickstand killswitch and no mods scrubbed some dielectric grease on all the connectors I could reach. Still no good. The error code reads "Open circuitry in the input line of ECU no.4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed. Probably cause open circuit in wiring harness."

Booglie

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone is following this thread, found the possible culprit. Ignition switch had a severed wire! Replacing asap will update if it was a success or not hopefully within the next week.