Bike Died on the Ride Home!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are a sly devil! Did it come with an extra "regulator"? Preferably single, brunette, 5'2" - 5'8", proportional, sharp, good outlook, 38 - 48, and not into the 3'some you already have? Just curious! :spank: :spank:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this may not be directly pertinent to the fz, but i believe you can draw a lot of parallels here:

Me and my buddy have been fixing up a 1984 camaro, 305, 5l. We've been experiencing battery issues for past 2 months, trying to track it down where the problem lies. It was a very strange sequence of events that perhaps you can consider looking into any of these possible symptoms.

Traditionally, your battery dies -- you either didn't trickle charge it over the winter, left your lights on, or you are drawing too much current for what the battery is rated it. In our situation - the stock battery called for 685 cold cranking amps -- and we bought a brand new duralast battery.

Within 3 days it died. We knew it wasn't the battery. So we new his starter had been old and was not running tip top - so we replaced the started and exchanged the battery for a battery with a rating of 750 cold cranking amps. 2 days later, the battery died.

What we actually narrowed it down to, which took MONTHS to learn, that it was a combination of effects.

The battery terminals, and cables running to the distributor - had been aged and weathered. To add to it - one a connector UNDER the carborater was loose. When checked with the diagram, this connector ended up running the MIXTURE CONTROL SOLENOID in the carb -- which had been completely acting faulty. This solenoid controls the mixture ratio of air and fuel.

When the solenoid would fail because of the lousy connection, the mixture would either be extremely rich or extremely lean. This issue ended up causing the started to overwork itself, which in turn stressed the battery.

We replaced the connector and the battery 1 more time and it has been months now with no issues. So you see it ended up being a multitude of effects all starting with a stupid small connector going to the carb.

I'm not sure if you can draw any parallels here, but check your cables to check for corrision. Check your starter to make sure it isn't being over stressed. Check your carb to make sure the fuel and air are being mixed properly. All of these things can stress the battery.

And if you say in previous weeks you noticed a change in running RPMs and performance, perhaps this could be a carbeurator issue overstressing other components. It happened to us, sounds suspiciously similar to our situation.

Mysterious battery dying, decreased performance....maybe worth a shot to check these things out?

Hope you figure it out bro.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I drove over to Georgia and picked up a new stator. Was very expensive but really works well. BTW the stator has a CBR600RR attached to it. :) Ill post up some photos on Saturday if the world doesn't end on Friday.

I must be buying my parts at the wrong place! Congratulations!!!! LOL!

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Merry Christmas everyone. New stator arrived Thursday, had to go pick it up, sure does run nicely though!

[/ATTACH]

The FZ6 stator arrived this afternoon. Installed in a temporary fashion (red locktight & old gasket) to test and it works great. Before I started the bike battery voltage was 13.03V. After cranking the battery voltage was 13.98 to 13.99 volts. At idle! reved it up a little and it jumped up to 14.00V. All is well, just need to get some blue locktight and sealant for where the leads go out of the case. Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I should have done a little more digging and checked the stator earlier and I might not have had to but a regulator or battery.

I will be putting the FZ6 up for sale in the next few days. 2004 blue with a 2007 swingarm, 39,000 miles good condition - some scrapes, cracks and a chip, but it is a bike that has been ridden daily. Will be tough to part with it , the FZ6 is a great bike. What I found is there really isn't a bike out there like the FZ6. Why doesn't someone make one - take the CBR600RR, add a half fairing with a more upright riding position. Leave the suspension adn engine alone.

I will post up more details on the new bike in a day or two.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
What I found is there really isn't a bike out there like the FZ6. Why doesn't someone make one - take the CBR600RR, add a half fairing with a more upright riding position. Leave the suspension adn engine alone.

Closest thing that I've seen is the New Honda NC700. Problem is it isn't sporty enough from reading/watching reviews. But, I guess it is a miser on gas some people getting close to 100 mpg.

The other close one is the Honda CB1000R but that is more a naked bike probably more comparable to the Fz8. I'm annoyed that they didn't release the half-faired Fz8 in the states. I would have bought that rather than the Fz1 if it was available.

The Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and Z1000 also look to be half faired with a belly pan but can't tell from the photos how comfortable the riding position would be.

Most manufacturers get caught up with the Naked/Streetfighter or the Full Fairing. For some reason the middle ground of with the half-fairing option is not available. I wonder how easy it would be to offer their sport bikes in half-fairings. Probably save them quite a bit of money. I've seen people take off the plastics on their own, usually stunters and sometimes it looks ok, other times, not so much. Second big gripe is that most of the sportier bikes have clip ons. I really like the risers and handlebar options for the Fz's

I feel the same way as you I want a half fairing bike with a sporty engine and comfortable ergonomics. My legs don't fit on the Suzuki or Hondas comfortably enough and there is just something about the Kawi seats that my back and ass don't like. So I'll stay with Yamaha until the next perfect ride comes along.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Merry Christmas everyone. New stator arrived Thursday, had to go pick it up, sure does run nicely though!

[/ATTACH]

The FZ6 stator arrived this afternoon. Installed in a temporary fashion (red locktight & old gasket) to test and it works great. Before I started the bike battery voltage was 13.03V. After cranking the battery voltage was 13.98 to 13.99 volts. At idle! reved it up a little and it jumped up to 14.00V. All is well, just need to get some blue locktight and sealant for where the leads go out of the case. Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I should have done a little more digging and checked the stator earlier and I might not have had to but a regulator or battery.

I will be putting the FZ6 up for sale in the next few days. 2004 blue with a 2007 swingarm, 39,000 miles good condition - some scrapes, cracks and a chip, but it is a bike that has been ridden daily. Will be tough to part with it , the FZ6 is a great bike. What I found is there really isn't a bike out there like the FZ6. Why doesn't someone make one - take the CBR600RR, add a half fairing with a more upright riding position. Leave the suspension adn engine alone.

Congratulations! :D