Bike Died on the Ride Home!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Update, new regulator arrived today. Hooked it up and no change. :-( looks like it is the stator, will pull cover and inspect but not much else it could be. It kept a charge over Sunday. Saturday went out for a ride, made a couple of stops but rode for about an hour. Tried to keep revs up. Was 13.25 when I left and 12.75 when I returned. Charged overnight on trickle charger and it was 13.25 when I left. Came home and it was 12.85 so not loosing too much charge but does appear that will discharge over time. Appears my suspicion that the stator is bad was correct. Now have an extra regulator - that makes three total (one on the bike, a new one, the Mrs.) However the last (and best) regulator has approved the purchase of a new CBR600RR. So maybe ...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now have an extra regulator - that makes three total (one on the bike, a new one, the Mrs.) However the last (and best) regulator has approved the purchase of a new CBR600RR. So maybe ...

And he thinks we don't read this sh$t! :rof::rof::rof::don'tknow:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
um, she doesn't read this though. :)

Found the problem - View attachment 46037

Bad stator (greg you are so right!), will order from Ron Ayers or Parts Shark tonight. Able to get along by charging every night, now to see about that CBR... Looked at an FZ8 Saturday 2012 with 400 miles on it the owner is asking $6,800 on Craigs List (Birmingham listings). Bike is very clean and really does look like it has 400 miles on it. Includes extras like an FZ8 radiator guard, windscreen and small fairing bits below the engine.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Bad stator (greg you are so right!), will order from Ron Ayers or Parts Shark tonight. Able to get along by charging every night, now to see about that CBR... Looked at an FZ8 Saturday 2012 with 400 miles on it the owner is asking $6,800 on Craigs List (Birmingham listings). Bike is very clean and really does look like it has 400 miles on it. Includes extras like an FZ8 radiator guard, windscreen and small fairing bits below the engine.

I know this has been covered in another thread, but why FZ8? You can find a slightly older FZ1 with low miles for less money and end up with a lot more bike :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I swear to god, that is the LAST part of my mURdercycle I expect to see fail! WTF!!!!! Feeble best describes the genuine lack of robustness on the Fizzers Charging system! Or is that "Charring System?" Design = FAIL!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this has been covered in another thread, but why FZ8? You can find a slightly older FZ1 with low miles for less money and end up with a lot more bike :D

Like an '09 Fz1 with 5000 miles for 6k. Ohh wait I grabbed that deal already. There is a '09 Fz1 with 2k miles by me (phx, az) but the idiots there want 7500. The bike has a gouge on the right fairing and right turn signal from what looks like a garage tip over. I'm told the place here(RideNow Powersports) tries to rip people off all the time although the bike has been there a long time and the guy told he'd do whatever it had to, to make a sale to get it out of there. I already put down 500 on the other bike so I didn't try to lowball him.

Also there is a guy on the Fz8 forum from Oregon who has his '11 bike up for sale(I think looks better all black) for 5999. He has done a lot of mods to it as well. It's worth checking out.
FS: 2011 FZ8 -$5999! Central Oregon - Page 2 - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance (Progressive) did not go up when I switched from FZ6 to FZ1 (both 2007 model year) :don'tknow:

Mine went up 30 bucks per month going from a 2008 fz6 to a 2009 fz1. But I have full coverage and just totaled my Fz6, LOL. I have All State and they have this loophole that if you get their Renter's/home insurance for like 10 dollars a month it saves you 25% off your motorcycle insurance bill. basically a net savings of 200 bucks per year for me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine went up 30 bucks per month going from a 2008 fz6 to a 2009 fz1. But I have full coverage and just totaled my Fz6, LOL. I have All State and they have this loophole that if you get their Renter's/home insurance for like 10 dollars a month it saves you 25% off your motorcycle insurance bill. basically a net savings of 200 bucks per year for me.

I know it varies greatly state to state and of course age / education / marital status plays a role. I have highest possible coverage for FZ1 (same as I had for FZ6).

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it varies greatly state to state and of course age / education / marital status plays a role. I have highest possible coverage for FZ1 (same as I had for FZ6).

34 year old single doctor doesn't do anything for me. I still pay 130 a month. But I had one at fault car accident 3 years ago and about 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 years (2 of them photoradar, arrgghh). I didn't have a single mark on my record from the age 22 to 32.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
34 year old single doctor doesn't do anything for me. I still pay 130 a month. But I had one at fault car accident 3 years ago and about 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 years (2 of them photoradar, arrgghh). I didn't have a single mark on my record from the age 22 to 32.

OUCH!! 38 here, married, own house (I think that counts too).. $180... for the year (yes, for the year).

I do have one 2-point ticket I got a bit over a year ago. It affected my car insurance, but not bike insurance.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!! 38 here, married, own house (I think that counts too).. $180... for the year (yes, for the year).

I do have one 2-point ticket I got a bit over a year ago. It affected my car insurance, but not bike insurance.

I'm going to have a talking to my insurance guys, because I can't believe I pay 12 times more than you do. I don't live in a high crime area or anything bad. We just have to worry about underinsured/non-insured motorist here. A lot of hit and run shenaningans go on. I wonder if it has to do with getting married. I'm not planning on it any time soon but hell I may consider it now. Let's see save a thousand dollars a year or risk giving up half my income for several years. Ehhhh, I'll stay single, LOL

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have a talking to my insurance guys, because I can't believe I pay 12 times more than you do. I don't live in a high crime area or anything bad. We just have to worry about underinsured/non-insured motorist here. A lot of hit and run shenaningans go on. I wonder if it has to do with getting married. I'm not planning on it any time soon but hell I may consider it now. Let's see save a thousand dollars a year or risk giving up half my income for several years. Ehhhh, I'll stay single, LOL

Sorry to derail this thread anymore - but for some reason these A-holes have concluded that ones credit score is vital to not being an idiot on the road. :rolleyes: wtf X25.. .. .. Progressive is the cheapest and if you drop the PIP (use other medical insurance), that helps.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to derail this thread anymore - but for some reason these A-holes have concluded that ones credit score is vital to not being an idiot on the road. :rolleyes: wtf X25.. .. .. Progressive is the cheapest and if you drop the PIP (use other medical insurance), that helps.

Crap, that is my problem, the mountain of student loan debt and a few bad credit cards. That sucks.

Anyway, back to the thread, if I was the OP, I would consider that or if the pockets are deep

Aprilia

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered a new stator from Ron Ayers today but it will not be here until late next week. I have the dual headlight mod and have thought about disconnecting it which would probably change it from slight discharge to slight charge but the extra light is worth more to me. Today I went out at lunch and road a few miles then back and the battery voltage when I got home was 12.75 compared with 12.85 yesterday. If I pick up the Honda will be putting the FZ6 up for sale with a new battery, regulator and stator. Will sell the "old" regulator - will check with new stator of course.

Some of the insurance prices y'all are talking about are amazing. Talked to my agent yesterday and my insurance would go up $270 a year for the CBR600RR and about $200 a year for the FZ8. She thought the prices were based on displacement but looks like they are mostly based on worth of the motorcycle.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered a new stator from Ron Ayers today but it will not be here until late next week. I have the dual headlight mod and have thought about disconnecting it which would probably change it from slight discharge to slight charge but the extra light is worth more to me. Today I went out at lunch and road a few miles then back and the battery voltage when I got home was 12.75 compared with 12.85 yesterday. If I pick up the Honda will be putting the FZ6 up for sale with a new battery, regulator and stator. Will sell the "old" regulator - will check with new stator of course.

Some of the insurance prices y'all are talking about are amazing. Talked to my agent yesterday and my insurance would go up $270 a year for the CBR600RR and about $200 a year for the FZ8. She thought the prices were based on displacement but looks like they are mostly based on worth of the motorcycle.

I'm with All State and I called up State Farm today. I couldn't even qualify because I had too many minor moving violations in the last 3 years. LOL. I forgot I had 2 photoradars and one cop stop for speeding, all happened in 2010, along with an at fault accident where I backed into a car that zipped behind me in a parking lot, all of which was the worst year of my life as I was fighting a custody battle for my son. I had not had any problems for the previous 12 years. He said as soon as that first moving violation goes past the 3 year mark I can get insurance with them for $108 a month or $1296 for the year.

Also going from the Fz6 to the Fz1 jumped my insurance by $360 for the year.

You guys are lucky

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like Ron Ayers and UPS have really come thru this time. Have a tracking number for the stator and UPS says it will be here Monday! Was expecting it to come 4 days later. Now I'll be able to get it fixed and do some riding while I'm off next week. Really appreciate them making it happen.

Today I drove over to Georgia and picked up a new stator. Was very expensive but really works well. BTW the stator has a CBR600RR attached to it. :) Ill post up some photos on Saturday if the world doesn't end on Friday.

Last edited: