Black on front of engine casing near rad?!?

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks, I have the 2006 fz6 diamond black colour, My mate at the weekend noticed that at the front of the engine block (under the rad) is black half way up !?! is this normal, I havent had a look at any other black fizzies from that year, It was the last year in UK before total blackout of engine and frame , i.e the S2.

I bought the bike with 10 thou miles on it, its immaculate and runs perfect, just weird that some of the engine casing at the front has black matt paint... !?! :confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like someone either painted it or there's a thin layer of grease there.

Did you wash it with de-greaser to confirm its paint or grease (leaky oil residue maybe from the valve cover)?

And the paint, from the FACTORY, would be the same all the way around, not half silver, half black.

If its not grease, perhaps they touched up the radiator and got over spray on the engine.

Can you post a pic, AFTER its been cleaned(or is clean)?

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like someone either painted it or there's a thin layer of grease there.

Did you wash it with de-greaser to confirm its paint or grease (leaky oil residue maybe from the valve cover)?

And the paint, from the FACTORY, would be the same all the way around, not half silver, half black.

If its not grease, perhaps they touched up the radiator and got over spray on the engine.

Can you post a pic, AFTER its been cleaned(or is clean)?

Thanks Townsends, I am a painter by trade :) So it is a paint a matt black, I will take some pics, strange... why It was done!?!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno, perhaps trying to hide something??

I'd want it back to silver so IMO, I'd take some paint remover and get that off just to see/make sure everything is ok...

Of course, you'll probably take off the original paint underneath but you'll be re-painting anyway.

You can get OEM paint but its not cheap. Being its a small area, behind the header, about any silver
will look better than your current black spot...

If you could post a pic, it'd be interesting to see. There's really nothing there to fail, just the block
and if a rod went thru it, it'd be junk...

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_2571.jpg

As you can see man, there is the matt black paint, it aint on the exterior engine casing just the front behind the down pipes..

IMG_2572.jpg

And it on the pipe when it goes into 4 to 1 ?!?! odd ..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Road salt attacking so they cleaned and painted?

Those are some rock chip prone areas and maybe they began to oxidize?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed ^^^^.

Someone was trying to hide some nasty looking pipes and perhaps some stone/chip (minor) damage at the front of the engine...

Depending on how anal you are and how much time you have on your hands, you can clean up the engine, de-grease, etc, tape off and
put a decent coat of engine paint on it. Or just clean up and re-paint the obvious. At least the pipe way down below is hard to see...

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a mill lads! it only had one owner, never dropped, excellent condition and UK salted roads indeed would affect it! So it aint anything serious?, thanks again, much appreciated!
I was praying it wasn't an engine rebuild, but the mechanics (friends) who looked her over before I bought it, said she was in excellent order.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He have painted it to prevent further corrosion if salted roads were taking its toll (and was to lazy to pick up silver paint)...

But, I don't see any issues nor ever heard of the engine block rotting out / corroding there (or anywhere).

Go ride!