Bling + Safety! Bar End Turn Signals!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's one of the coolest ideas I've seen!:cool:

I like them allot but OMG a bit steep on the $$$$ for what it is...

If I can get SolidWorks to install I'll design some and send them to the machine shop for a quote. I mean the lighting is $CHEAP$ The lens, doable, and crazy enough, there could be some existing bar ends with enough meat to be fillet'd and have lights added! OR we build the body from scratch! Just thinking out loud but I sure like the idea of more visibility but the brass turns me off!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like them allot but OMG a bit steep on the $$$$ for what it is...

If I can get SolidWorks to install I'll design some and send them to the machine shop for a quote. I mean the lighting is $CHEAP$ The lens, doable, and crazy enough, there could be some existing bar ends with enough meat to be fillet'd and have lights added! OR we build the body from scratch! Just thinking out loud but I sure like the idea of more visibility but the brass turns me off!

I was surprized when I went to the site and saw the price! :eek:
Hmmmm. :rolleyes: I have AutoCad. I haven't installed SolidWorks yet. Jerry (Jblk9695) has CADCAM set up with a CNC....:D

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
My biggest question, where in the world do you run the wires?

Also, how much do they weigh? I wouldn't want to go any lighter than stock because of vibrations.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My biggest question, where in the world do you run the wires?

Also, how much do they weigh? I wouldn't want to go any lighter than stock because of vibrations.

Perhaps why part of its made from Brass, to add mass!!!
Yes, you'd need to drill holes in your bars. Lots of bars have holes in them so its not like it going to weaken them. A properly chamfered hole is must to prevent chaffing. . . .

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a neat idea, but not a great location for a turn signal. The reason I say this is that I am looking in that area to check my mirrors as I begin to move over. A bright blinking light is going to alter your vision as your pupils constrict/dilate in response to the blinker.

I'm all for increased visibility on my bike, but not at the cost of distorting my vision.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a neat idea, but not a great location for a turn signal. The reason I say this is that I am looking in that area to check my mirrors as I begin to move over. A bright blinking light is going to alter your vision as your pupils constrict/dilate in response to the blinker.

I'm all for increased visibility on my bike, but not at the cost of distorting my vision.

True. It may not be a great choice for all bikes. :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed about the bar mount mirrors being there; that would be distracting.

For the Faired bikes I think it'd be fine though. I personally never find myself staring at my hands/grips/levers etc so its a non-issue. . .

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Found some new goodies.....

Do a fleebay search for this:
Yamaha Turn Signal Adapter Plugs For: R1 R6 FZ1 FZ6

View attachment 40271

No cutting and of OEM harness during blinker swaps. . . Ships from down under! :(

Could be very hand for some folks and save some pain and suffering and/or shorts, fires, loss of life due to bad installs. . .

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Found some new goodies.....

Do a fleebay search for this:
Yamaha Turn Signal Adapter Plugs For: R1 R6 FZ1 FZ6

View attachment 40271

No cutting and of OEM harness during blinker swaps. . . Ships from down under! :(

Could be very hand for some folks and save some pain and suffering and/or shorts, fires, loss of life due to bad installs. . .

But only 2 wires, so for all of you in the US: no running light. (Or you would have to splice a magic blinker relay in)

Grtz,

Degake

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the comments about them impairing vision for the rider...

If you were going to go to the effort of crafting some yourself... just make them only flash forwards.
Use them in addition to normally placed indicators and you've got twice the attention grabbing, some bling and no issue with your eyes :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea - BUT, cage drivers already have a hard enough time trying to understand bikes etc.

I would think it unwise to change the location of the indicators to a place where they have never been before, especially on the periphery of the bike, as the cage driver might think it's coming from the car beside you etc.

Best to stick to the norm, indicators and the like are placed in the same or similar position on a bike for a reason.

Cheers,
Rick

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Best to stick to the norm, indicators and the like are placed in the same or similar position on a bike for a reason.

Cheers,
Rick

I would say that reason is because "that's where they've always been." I doubt moving the indicator would make that much of a difference honestly. Maybe if those were the only blinkers on your bike. But I have two sets of flashers on the rear (LED traditonal and the integrated ones) so having two sets up front sounds like a good idea to me.

I take it like the bright color thing. I had a High-viz vest on monday (as I was driving to base and it's required). It was daylight. I had 3 people change lanes into me, with being pushed on the shoulder twice. I was only in the "blind spot" for the last (an 18 wheeler) but so were 2 other cars... The other two just figured I was 2 foot long, I guess, since they whipped around me and proceded to change back into my lane before passing me.

But honestly, when I still drove my truck, people "didn't see" me more than they do on my bike. And that was a bright red F-150. You would think that's hard to miss.

My only real concern with these would be sliding my hand down and covering the flasher. Hence the desire to keep my normal front flashers.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't put those on my bike, but I do absolutely love the look!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting to see everyones views on the Good and the Bad (tks). At least the Ugly has been set aside for the moment! :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it turns out these bar ends are a PITA.

My bud had one fall on a dyno run and sadly the wire to the LED goes through the center of the bolt in the middle. To tighten them, you have to pull the wire out!

The cause seems to be the expander cone just doesn't cover enough area and the brass grips/fingers flexes too much allowing them to work loose. So its seem its a good idea gone bad as far as powering them and securing them.

Too bad. . . Just a warning to others about one use of this product.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Oberon make good stuff. They are down the road from me and I've been in the manufacturing shop a few times. Totally full of cool goodies! Their site is here. Their cylindrical tax disc holders are amazing! I have their footpegs and the tax disc holder. I also had their regular bar-ends for a while with my Renthal bars, which were good and the metal expansion bolt worked well - but only alu so too light. Not sure how well they would work on stock bars.