Blown Head Gasket? Sealer?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry - without any details, I have nothing more to offer. As best I can tell, there is no mention of coolant needing to be added or coolant being lost. Only that fluid comes out the exhaust, which, is pretty normal under certain climates.
- Observe some cars when they are started up cold. They do the same thing until the engine and exhaust reach full operating temperature. On a COLD engine, the the engine is taking in the humidity in the air and compressing it, condensing it and spitting it out as vapor and solid (water). That is, some comes out the tail pipe as vapor and some as liquid.
- So until the exhaust is upward of 1000°f or so, it pours out as condensation/steam/vapor. Some cars will shoot out what appears to be darn pint of condensed moisture/water.... This is by-product of engines and exhaust running at higher temperatures. From these high temperature, when turned off they take longer to cool down. While cooling down the components are attracting moisture droplets from the air. So when started from cold, all that moisture must be pumped out - like the actual liquid you see through that hole.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never plugged the exhaust.

It's in the 20's tomorrow, but I'll bundle up and ride for a bit, then take another video.

I'm no mechanic, but if the coolant is disappearing and not going into the oil, then where else is it going?

How much fluid over time are you losing? Since you've replaced your coolant not too long ago, I might suspect that there was still air in your cooling system and as the air moves out of the system the recovery tank replenishes lost fluid on cool down. This would look like you're losing coolant because you see the recovery tank level diminish. As others have said, you may just be seeing condensation steam that will be more prevalent in colder weather but the steam dissipates as the engine and exhaust warms up. Wait and see if the coolant loss subsides.
If you feel the droplets and they don't feel soapy slippery it's probably water and not glycol based as mentioned before.

As far as tasting product...When I was a kid there was this old guy that ran a gas station on the corner. I'd watch him filling bottles with recycled motor oil. (yeah they used to recycle old oil) Sometimes he would fill a bottle from the big 50 gallon tank, look at me, dip his finger in the bottle of oil, taste his finger, roll his big steel blue eyes crosseyed and say, "Yup! That's 10W40!"

He was actually dipping his middle finger then switching to his index finger real quickly so he wasn't actually tasting the oil...Or was he!?!?
Loved that old guy. All the kids did. He's one of the reasons I can wrench. :D

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
How much fluid over time are you losing? Since you've replaced your coolant not too long ago, I might suspect that there was still air in your cooling system and as the air moves out of the system the recovery tank replenishes lost fluid on cool down. This would look like you're losing coolant because you see the recovery tank level diminish. As others have said, you may just be seeing condensation steam that will be more prevalent in colder weather but the steam dissipates as the engine and exhaust warms up. Wait and see if the coolant loss subsides.
If you feel the droplets and they don't feel soapy slippery it's probably water and not glycol based as mentioned before.

As far as tasting product...When I was a kid there was this old guy that ran a gas station on the corner. I'd watch him filling bottles with recycled motor oil. (yeah they used to recycle old oil) Sometimes he would fill a bottle from the big 50 gallon tank, look at me, dip his finger in the bottle of oil, taste his finger, roll his big steel blue eyes crosseyed and say, "Yup! That's 10W40!"

He was actually dipping his middle finger then switching to his index finger real quickly so he wasn't actually tasting the oil...Or was he!?!?
Loved that old guy. All the kids did. He's one of the reasons I can wrench. :D

I took it for a spin today and when I got back, there was no white smoke coming from the pipes. After I had changed the coolant, I noticed that the overflow levels went from full to low when I was filming the video, but stayed in at the same level after this ride. So it is all starting to make sense now... Coolant level going down due to air working itself out of the system; water coming out of the exhaust, which is normal; and broken rear fender due to bottoming out. Wow, these three separate situations all seemed related. Thanks for all the help everyone!