BMW K1300S 30th Anniversary Special Edition Announced

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to believe that 30 years have passed since the introduction of the revolutionary K-Series.

More...

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of the model, but the anniversary edition is really amazing!
BMW is making some nice bikes the last years, maybe it's time to consider a brand switch? :BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to go touring on one of those. They are essentially just massive supersports that are JUUUST comfortable enough to do the really long range stuff on.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try working on one. Parts are usually considerably more $ than their Japenese counterparts as well....

BMW does not design their bikes to be user-maintainance person friendly...

My friends a big fan of BMW's so I've had my hands on most of their models and actually designed and make helmet lock brackets for most of their bikes ( The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R Sport ).

One BMW had the oil filter (a cartridge) RECESSED into the bottom of the engine, under a cover... You needed a special BMW socket ($70.00) to get it out, IMHO, BS...

Another model has an oil pressure operated cam chain tensioner. Its great when the bikes running but upon start up the chain is loose and has skipped. BMW does have a kit to keep the chain from jumping but you have to pay for it and the install. The bolts for the install (just a side cover) are a ONE TIME ONLY use. Its a friggin side cover!

Yes they do make nice bikes, but IMHO, WAY OVER ENGINEERED in certain area's..

I love the fact too that most BMer's don't have helmet locks, as I designed/manufacture brackets that utilize a BMW lock (from a different model BMW) and take advantage of it!! :) :thumbup:

The below pic's are various BMW's with my bracket and lock installed including the K1300S (first pic is a K1200S,K1300S, 2nd is a GT, 3rd a new RT, 4th a GS) etc...

I love my FZ6, actually I bought it off him. We drag raced with his old K1200S. He pulled out the first 20' or so but I was still with him before we both slowed.. Now this a $2,100 bike vs a $17,000 bike...

The FZ is such a low maintainance machine and so much easier to work on, its a no brainer for me... If I can keep away from the service department of any motorcycle dealer, the better..

My rant is done! :D

Last edited:

rickfella

Bike Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had two K's. The 'finest year' 1984 K100RS and a 2003 K1200GT. They're exceptionally well made and handle beautifully.

I dunno about the 'overengineered' bit. The oil filter in the sump was not much a problem with 'the tool' you needed, mine being a fabricated copy from NZ. Having the fuel filter in the tank was a pain; so was changing the air filter: de-pressurise the fuel rail, take off half the fairing, remove tank, etc.

My problem was the parts. Absolutely rediculous prices. That said, some Japanese parts are getting 'up there' now, too!

I don't miss them, though. Too heavy for daily use, whereas the FZ is perfect for getting 'round on.