Bought the FZ6!

Nicde looking bike man, congrats!! I paid $3700 for mine last May with 6600 miles and I thought that was a good deal, you got an almost new bike for $100 less - good for you man!!

Well, I bought an '05 with 22000kms on the clock for $5500 and I KNOW I got a good deal! (obviously in different markets!)

I'm a bit jealous you got yours for less, and it's not even run in yet!

Best bike I've ever owned! (and the list is long enough for fair comparison!)

New rubber, fluids and service (Iridium plugs cos they last a lot longer) and it's basically a new bike without the new bike surcharge!

Congrats!

(treat her well and she love you long time!)

Cheers,
Rick

I took a look under the seat tonight after riding home from work, and I couldn't believe what I saw... The factory tool kit was still in there, and I don't think it's ever been opened! LOL

I checked the oil and it looks like brand new oil. Though I'm still planning on changing it along with the filter later this week. I got a case of Mobil 1 synthetic and a Bosch filter on the way from amazon.com. Also bought a one man brake bleeder kit and watched a couple videos on coolant flushing. Looks like fairly easy jobs.

Personally, I'd be sticking dino oil in it for the next 3000mi. It's not even run in yet.

Lots of people have differing opinions about the running in of motor vehicles, but I personally subscribe to the theory that the rings need to bed.

And the hardest thing with changing the coolant is accessing and emptying the overflow bottle.

Cheers,
Rick

Personally, I'd be sticking dino oil in it for the next 3000mi. It's not even run in yet.

Lots of people have differing opinions about the running in of motor vehicles, but I personally subscribe to the theory that the rings need to bed.

And the hardest thing with changing the coolant is accessing and emptying the overflow bottle.

Cheers,
Rick

So basically you're suggesting I use dino oil, run it hard, then after 3k miles, switch to the synthetic? I know not everyone agrees on the proper break in method, so just tell me what you think.

Other than 'run it hard', yes.

Ride it like you usually would - at 1600mi, you've got what you've got.

Hopefully the previous owner knew about running it in, but by now it doesn't matter.

What you do from now, in the next 3000mi will.

Don't hammer it, but don't baby it.

Give 'er some dino oil and some long rides (so the engine is at running temperature for an extended period)

It's what I've always done, and this has served me well.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Beware of friction modified oils - as our bikes have a wet clutch.

Last edited:
Back