Brand new to riding

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site
Im 18 and i just bought my first bike and its a 2004 fz6 only mod it has is the fender eliminator kit. Just wondering what kind of mods anyone would recommend, dont want to go too crazy but want to add a bit of my touch to it. where can i find some cheap exhaust. What are some great ways to take care of the bike etc. Again i am new to this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

First thing you might consider is making sure you push your bucks toward all your protective gear.
Have you done the MSF course? We have a few members Norcal and I've yet to get up there to ride with some of the members but will hopefully this year.

There is a great amount of info on modding and technical as well as riding experience. We have a great membership of friendly people here so just jump in! :)

Last edited:

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

First thing you might consider is making sure you push your bucks toward all your protective gear.
Have you done the MSF course? We have a few members Norcal and I've yet to get up there to ride with some of the members but will hopefully this year.

There is a great about of info on modding and technical as well as riding experience. We have a great membership of friendly people here so just jump in! :)

Yup did the course, have some gear, just wanna do a couple mods to add some character

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup did the course, have some gear, just wanna do a couple mods to add some character

Here are some easy mods: the stock windscreen change to a puig double bubble or a touring style. The bd43 head light mod, which uses both headlights together for much better night visibility plus looks much better. Flush mount turn signals for the front. The motodynamic integrated tail light for the rear really cleans up the back, especially if you have a fender eliminator. Frame sliders are also easy and cheap to install, however after I stripped my engine mount trying to install them, I wish I never had done it in the first place! Reflective rim tape is also a good way to add some character to your bike.

If you're completely new to riding, you may just want to ride a while before you start doing lots of mods. Even if you take it completely easy, you may still have some drops. It's completely normal. My first bike last year was a gs500, and I had a low speed drop in a parking lot, plus I knocked it over in my garage twice!

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the greatest forum in the web!

Sounds like you've started off well too. Joe's right with his advice all the way. The FZ is a lot of bike for a rookie as (I'm sure you are aware) its derived from the R6 sports.
My own advice would be to take things easy for a while and learn how to stay shiny side up before getting too sentimentally attached to your new 'toy'. I think most of us have been there when I say its upsetting when it 'falls over' (er, crashes..) and you watch all the nice bits you bolted on being towed for scrap.

Hey, that said, a bit of pride in your steed may help you ride with care :rockon: I personally would start with safety in mind. Frame sliders for sure. Dollar spent on those will repay you in a drop. Exhausts are not cheap even s/h but if you have deep pockets, hell why not?

Next make sure the bike has been looked after. Does it have a newish chain/sprocket set? Well adjusted? Any doubt, change it out! Its winter, how do the tires look? Very important to maintain correct pressure. Just a few pounds loss will affect handling. Tell us all what brand its wearing and advice will follow. Has the bike come to you ready serviced? Check the oil for color/level. Best not to trust a 'verbal' service history from the seller.

Have a flick through the 'How to' section here. 100's of tips!

Fleabay is a wonderous source of bits fer bikes and just about everyone here has done something to personalize. Wheel rim stickers (reflective) are worthwhile and cheap. You may also want to consider heated grips if you want to ride on cold days. (I came dangerously close to frostbite riding in -10C at 70 one night. = windchill of around -15C).

I'm a big fan of bar end sliders too as well as getting the right cleaning gear together to help keep it all shiny. Keeping the winter out is a big part of biking welfare.

As a first bike its pretty cool even bog standard - s'why I got one! :thumbup:

Mostly, enjoy and ride, ride, ride! :BLAA:

Ooo, ooo, almost forgot. Get the fork oil changed to 10 or 15wt. I did my 04 model (with 22 thou on the clock) and transformed the handling! Its all part of making 'feel' like its yours.

Last edited:

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the greatest forum in the web!

Sounds like you've started off well too. Joe's right with his advice all the way. The FZ is a lot of bike for a rookie as (I'm sure you are aware) its derived from the R6 sports.
My own advice would be to take things easy for a while and learn how to stay shiny side up before getting too sentimentally attached to your new 'toy'. I think most of us have been there when I say its upsetting when it 'falls over' (er, crashes..) and you watch all the nice bits you bolted on being towed for scrap.

Hey, that said, a bit of pride in your steed may help you ride with care :rockon: I personally would start with safety in mind. Frame sliders for sure. Dollar spent on those will repay you in a drop. Exhausts are not cheap even s/h but if you have deep pockets, hell why not?

Next make sure the bike has been looked after. Does it have a newish chain/sprocket set? Well adjusted? Any doubt, change it out! Its winter, how do the tires look? Very important to maintain correct pressure. Just a few pounds loss will affect handling. Tell us all what brand its wearing and advice will follow. Has the bike come to you ready serviced? Check the oil for color/level. Best not to trust a 'verbal' service history from the seller.

Have a flick through the 'How to' section here. 100's of tips!

Fleabay is a wonderous source of bits fer bikes and just about everyone here has done something to personalize. Wheel rim stickers (reflective) are worthwhile and cheap. You may also want to consider heated grips if you want to ride on cold days. (I came dangerously close to frostbite riding in -10C at 70 one night. = windchill of around -15C).

I'm a big fan of bar end sliders too as well as getting the right cleaning gear together to help keep it all shiny. Keeping the winter out is a big part of biking welfare.

As a first bike its pretty cool even bog standard - s'why I got one! :thumbup:

Mostly, enjoy and ride, ride, ride! :BLAA:

Ooo, ooo, almost forgot. Get the fork oil changed to 10 or 15wt. I did my 04 model (with 22 thou on the clock) and transformed the handling! Its all part of making 'feel' like its yours.

Awesome thank you guys sooo much. i have the michelin pilots on there. Dont think its been tuned up, or oil has been changed in 2 years. not sure how often i should take it down to get that done. just want to take care of the bike so it can last forever. what else are giid things to check to make sure this thing will be running great?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
have some gear

Some gear or full gear?

If you don't have proper jacket / pants / boots / gloves, spend your money on those items before bike mods.

Bike maintenance is another story.. stay on top of it.

Be safe and have fun!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci is absolutely right. While riding is dangerous in and of itself, you're most likely to go down as a beginner. Protect your skin and body, it's the only one you've got. (This coming from a guy who low sided last thursday and was able to run over to his bike with zero pain after skidding on asphalt at 35mph)

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Erci and Xavias. Gear first, then bike maintenance, then mods. Since you don't know what the previous owner did as far as maintenance, I would start by taking care of these basic maintenance items:
1. Check chain slack, adjust if necessary. Clean and lube chain.
2. Replace and bleed front and rear brake fluid
3. Flush coolant system and replace with fresh coolant
4. Change oil and filter (I use Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Purolator PL14610 filter).
5. Check tire pressure (36/39 F/R is what I ride with).
6. Check steering head tightness (Put bike on center stand, weight the back end, and see if there is any play in the forks).
7. Change spark plugs (NGK CR9EIK or CR9EK).
8. Change air filter (if bike has more than 15K miles on it).
9. Lube clutch and throttle cables (I use the same T6 oil).
10. Check brake pad wear front and rear.

Most likely, a lot of those maintenance items are not necessary for you to do right off the bat, except for # 1, 4 and 5.
If you do all of those things, you will have a bike that runs as good as new and won't give you problems for a long time.

Next, Mods :rockon:

I have done: Puig light smoke windscreen, frame sliders, Rizoma signals front and rear, FZ1 handlebar, custom heavy bar ends, new handlebar grips, fender eliminator, BD43 dual headlight mod, SAE plug for heated gloves and heated grips, All Balls steering head bearings, 17T front sprocket, EBC brake pads F/R. I think that's it. The signals, frame sliders, and FZ1 bar have been my favorite mods. The sliders have saved me countless amounts of money in standstill drops both by me and my girlfriend.

Anyway, good luck and remember, gear before any of my preceding post.

How many miles on the bike?

Last edited:

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Erci and Xavias. Gear first, then bike maintenance, then mods. Since you don't know what the previous owner did as far as maintenance, I would start by taking care of these basic maintenance items:
4. Change oil and filter (I use Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Purolator PL14610 filter).
6. Check steering head tightness (Put bike on center stand, weight the back end, and see if there is any play in the forks).

Most likely, a lot of those maintenance items are not necessary for you to do right off the bat, except for # 1, 4 and 5.
If you do all of those things, you will have a bike that runs as good as new and won't give you problems for a long time.

I have done: Puig light smoke windscreen, frame sliders, Rizoma signals front and rear, FZ1 handlebar, custom heavy bar ends, new handlebar grips, fender eliminator, BD43 dual headlight mod, SAE plug for heated gloves and heated grips, All Balls steering head bearings, 17T front sprocket, EBC brake pads F/R. I think that's it. The signals, frame sliders, and FZ1 bar have been my favorite mods. The sliders have saved me countless amounts of money in standstill drops both by me and my girlfriend.

thank you so much, your maintenance list is just what i was looking for. already have the fender eliminator kit on, will definitely get the sliders. and as far as gear, my mother went to the local cycle gear and bought me a bunch of stuff for christmas so i dont know the exact gear i have until i open it up christmas day. what im using now is jeans, sweatshirt, and over the ankle shoes.

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site

and it has 26000 miles on it. it should last me quite a while more with good maintenance right?

starflyer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what exactly does that do?:confused:

synching the throttle bodies ensures that each cylinder pulls the same amount of vacuum. if your bike has any vibrations at all, especially around or just below about 4K, i'd sync em. pretty sure it's due for a sync at that mileage

synched mine at about 3000 miles and i could tell a difference. now have about 5000 miles on mine.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
With 26K miles, you should definitely do ALL of the maintenance items I posted, including the throttle body sync. I did my first throttle body sync at 22K miles and noticed a difference, although waiting longer to do it wouldn't really have much of a detrimental effect IMO.

I would either hold off on riding until Christmas, or get your Mom to give you your presents early. You have a high risk of crashing, being a new, young rider on a fast bike. I'm not gonna preach to you about wearing all the gear all the time, even though I (and many others here) do. Just realize that the only thing between you and rock-hard, unforgiving pavement is the gear you wear. Your hands and feet are most likely to get mangled in a crash.

If you keep up with maintenance, many people here have gotten 50-75K miles out of their FZ6's, some even more.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would either hold off on riding until Christmas, or get your Mom to give you your presents early. You have a high risk of crashing, being a new, young rider on a fast bike. I'm not gonna preach to you about wearing all the gear all the time, even though I (and many others here) do. Just realize that the only thing between you and rock-hard, unforgiving pavement is the gear you wear. Your hands and feet are most likely to get mangled in a crash.

I would 100% agree with this. The sentimentality of christmas won't replace flesh on your body if you were to go down. Or you just do the maintenance till christmas and not ride.

I just got my bike 2 weeks ago and bought HJC CL-Max II helmet, Tourmaster Intake 3.0 Jacket, and Castle Streetwear gloves (with gel pad, I'd recommend). From my experience I would say the CL-Max helmet is nice but a little heavy because it is a modular desing. The Intake Jacket is too hot for me with the windliner in, perfect without and just a sweater.

I took a spirited ride with a riding group last Saturday and they were running 65-125 through the twisties. I did everything I could to keep up but I would say the only thing running through my mind was that I wish I had boots and pants with armor. If i would have come off the bike I was likely losing my legs.

I just ordered Tourmaster Overpants today, shoudl be in next week.

I must also agree with the maintenance. I got my bike from a dealership off fleabay, that had taken it in on trade. I got a great deal but I changed the oil and it was the worst oil I had ever seen. I also changed the air filter and it was filthy. I changed the spark plugs as well but I may have stripped the threads, too be determined if anything is wrong because the bike is still running and hasn't exploded yet.

After doing all that I must say that I feel a lot more comfortable and confident on my bike and I am extremely glad I did it before doing the mods.

As for the mods I got frame sliders on there (cheap ones, I want Puig Pro sliders eventually) and a MRA vario touring screen. I'm not sure I like the windshield yet. I bought it because I am 6'4" and sitting upright at speeds over 75 can be brutal from the wind. The screen has 6 adjustments but I don't think I've found the one that works for me (i've tried 2).

Up next Two Brothers Black Series Carbon Fiber M2 cans and possibly JuiceboxPro (Power Commander 5, labeled for Two Brothers)

Good luck, be safe, and get your shine on down the road.

jruben47

Reaction score
Visit site
To everyone on here,
Thank you sooo much definitely have helped me out, will start doing maintenance stuff. probably wont ride for a while since the rain is coming down right now where i live. i will ask my mother a week or two before christmas so i can get my gear and before then i wont do too much riding if any at all. But again thank you too everyone who has posted on this and helping me out :bow:http://www.600riders.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I think good gear is a personal choice. There are plenty of people out there that ride with sneakers and casual wear that have never had a problem. My first year riding I had good boots, short gloves, mesh jacket, and helmet. Now I ride with a leather jacket, textile overpants with armor, full gauntlet gloves, full length boots, and of course my helmet. I feel safer when riding now than I ever did last year. I hate the idea of having a crash, but if I do I know I'm protected as much as I can be (or can afford!).

Also, learn to do the maintenance stuff yourself. Motorcycle mechanics charge a ton and sometimes they can take a while to fix things. General maintenance on the FZ is fairly easy to do. Plus I think you'll be able to appreciate your bike more if you're the one doing the maintenance.

One more thing, wear ear plugs when riding. It's amazing how much of a confidence booster it is when you get rid of all the excess noise when you're riding. I don't ride without them!

Good luck!

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
How mechanically inclined are you? If you mentioned it, i missed it...anyhow, a nifty mod that was done to my bike by the PO is the location of the license plate.

Please excuse how filthy she is in the second picture, that was the night I brought her home.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel safer when riding now than I ever did last year. I hate the idea of having a crash, but if I do I know I'm protected as much as I can be (or can afford!).

Also, learn to do the maintenance stuff yourself. Motorcycle mechanics charge a ton and sometimes they can take a while to fix things. General maintenance on the FZ is fairly easy to do. Plus I think you'll be able to appreciate your bike more if you're the one doing the maintenance.

I agree about feeling safer and more confident wearing full gear. I know that it will still be a really bad day if I go down, but at least I'll have all my skin while sitting in a cast for a few months...

I would never bring my bike to a mechanic for anything other than mounting and balancing tires. I honestly don't trust a mechanic as much as I do my own technical abilities. I've done all the work myself, it really isn't that hard you just need the right tools.

Last edited: