Breakpad wear

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry bout that, hate to see anyone miss a turn as the auto brake function quit working!!

As a side note, I used a cheap SS dental pick (available at Harbor freight, Sears, etc) to pluck the seals out, (piece of cake).

I can’t imagine trying to get the pistons out without an air compressor. I just put the pointy part of the blower in the orifice I wanted the piston to be removed, put over 100 PSI in there, not an issue.

Something I’d suggest you do overnight. Put the bike on the side stand and turn the steering to the left. The MC will NOW be high. Bungie, tie, tape, etc the front brake lever so its activated about halfway. Leave it overnight. Any small air bubbles will work their way up and out and it does indeed help as I’ve done this several times with good results.

Also, go for a ride, maybe 45-50 MPH and stop quickly with the front brakes ONLY. Quickly get off and feel both rotors. They should BOTH be about the same temp, warm to hot.... If their not, there’s still air in the system. You may get a little better gas mileage too!

As you pointed out, the lever will have some more movement as NOW, the pistons are retracting (as they should ever so slightly). Think of it like this, hold the brake lever 1/4 activated. That’s where your pistons were BEFORE THE REBUILD, holding the pads up against the rotors. Now their not!!

If you don’t already have them, I found an excellent and not too expensive upgrade. Put SS braided brake lines on. It definitely firms up the pull. I can now get a full stop with 1/3 to maybe ½ (tops) locking up the front wheel.

As for your 3 spins, your fine there. I don’t know if the SS lines make a difference there but I don’t have the rubber lines flexing some and perhaps putting a little more pressure on the calipers (probably not)... I do have the two, separate lines, both from each caliper up to the MC as it’s a little bit easier to bleed...

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry bout that, hate to see anyone miss a turn as the auto brake function quit working!!

I haven't missed it :) I just took it faster than expected ;)

Something I’d suggest you do overnight. Put the bike on the side stand and turn the steering to the left. The MC will NOW be high. Bungie, tie, tape, etc the front brake lever so its activated about halfway. Leave it overnight. Any small air bubbles will work their way up and out and it does indeed help as I’ve done this several times with good results.

Yeah I thought about it and I've usually done it on all my other bikes. This time I was little concerned if seals won't slip on piston surface under pressure conditions and stop retracting piston. But if I won't be able to get firm lever I will do it definitely.

If you don’t already have them, I found an excellent and not too expensive upgrade. Put SS braided brake lines on. It definitely firms up the pull. I can now get a full stop with 1/3 to maybe ½ (tops) locking up the front wheel.

I'm already running SS lines. Best mod ever :) :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I haven't missed it :) I just took it faster than expected ;)

Yeah I thought about it and I've usually done it on all my other bikes. This time I was little concerned if seals won't slip on piston surface under pressure conditions and stop retracting piston. But if I won't be able to get firm lever I will do it definitely.

I'm already running SS lines. Best mod ever :) :rockon:

With the new seals, holding the lever overnight won't hurt anything, the rubbers new and much more flexible than the old... Did it twice on the FZ, once on the FJR.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what happen :) I've left bike in positions mentioned by Scott (side stand, handlebar all to the left) overnight but without zip tie. This morning I've backed pistons by gently pushing pads back. After couple pumps I've got much stiffer lever without zip tie. I will ride it tomorrow or this evening to confirm how it does feel on the road but initial impression is it already worked without a tie.

I will keep you guys posted (just for knowledge and experience sharing :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what happen :) I've left bike in positions mentioned by Scott (side stand, handlebar all to the left) overnight but without zip tie. This morning I've backed pistons by gently pushing pads back. After couple pumps I've got much stiffer lever without zip tie. I will ride it tomorrow or this evening to confirm how it does feel on the road but initial impression is it already worked without a tie.

I will keep you guys posted (just for knowledge and experience sharing :)

That's great that worked (??). I guess some air worked its way up.

Usually, holding the lever partially applied allows air to escape from the small port in the MC.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
All good. I've did ~120miles today and lever is good. Although it have more travel it gives good feedback and progressiveness once used to it. I might to bleed it again just to make sure all the air is for 100% out but I don't feel any strange behavior as for now :rockon: