Bridgestone BT016 PRO tires...Any good?

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I see a huge number of tire posts on here and am still a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff. I just got an email from Cycle Gear with what seemed like a decent deal on some bridgestone BT-016 Pro tires for $179 + install. I don't track my bike and just mainly ride the city streets with the occasional canyon road. Would these be a good tire to get? The tires on my bike have never been replaced since I have owned it and I have had the bike for 5 years so I figure it is about time.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Get Michelin Pilot Road 2's. No way you can out ride them and you will get tons of miles. Been through more sets than a free drinks at a wet t shirt night downtown.

FJR, FZ6, FZ1 and still swear by them on my 990 ktm.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Any new tire will be better then a 5+ year old tire. And seeing that you're getting 5 years out of a set "that may be even older then 5" you may be better served with the 016. These have really good traction are cheap and will probably wear out before they get to old.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the streets the 016 Pro is a 5000 mile tire on rear. Fronts will go 7 - 8000. So likely not a good fit for you. On pure slab time take another 1000 off easily.

But they are cheap and CLING FOR DEAR LIFE! Great tires for playing. :thumbup: I'm running one on the front now w/an 023 Rear. Don't buy any of the S20's - those are 1/2 the tire of the older 016 Pro.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought the Cycle Gear set for $219.99. They do charge $5 per tire for "oversized shipping", and there's a $40 Visa card rebate offer from Bridgestone. So the net is really about $230 less $40, or $190 plus your state/local sales tax. However, that isn't the big gig. Cycle Gear is the only place that said "Yes, our tires are absolutely fresh since they come straight from Bridgestone. In fact, if they're not manufactured in the last few months, feel free to return them to us, by mail or at your local Cycle Gear store, for a full refund". I was looking for decent tires, not perfect tires, and the return privilege sealed the deal. (disclaimer-I don't own any Cycle Gear stock, etc., etc., it's just a really handy place for nonprofessional riders to do business.) YMMV

Note: One online vendor stated that their MC tires could have been manufactured as much as 4 or 5 years ago, and that would NOT be an acceptable reason to return them. While their prices were the lowest I found, that line of reasoning was a real deal breaker! Doesn't seem like their employees ride motorcycles!

Last edited:

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I had BT016's on my 08 FZ6 for a while and loved them to bits, they are brilliant for fair weather riders, not so great when it's wet. They gave me so much confidence in corners I loved it, I got about 7000 miles out of my rear tyre before changing to some Michelin pilot road 3's ready for winter. I commute to work on the bike and also have fun on twisties at the weekend so if you are going to ride all year round I would recommend Pilot road 3's, if not then Bridgestone BT016's are fantastic and highly recommended by me!

I will be going back to the BT016's when my Pilot roads 3's need replacing. :D

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the info and opinions, I greatly appreciate the help. For the amount of riding I do and the price they seem like a pretty good deal plus the local cycle gear stocks them. Since I think im long overdue for tires based on age I think they will be a good fit for now. As time goes on I may get something a little better.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I had BT016's on my 08 FZ6 for a while and loved them to bits, they are brilliant for fair weather riders, not so great when it's wet. They gave me so much confidence in corners I loved it, I got about 7000 miles out of my rear tyre before changing to some Michelin pilot road 3's ready for winter. I commute to work on the bike and also have fun on twisties at the weekend so if you are going to ride all year round I would recommend Pilot road 3's, if not then Bridgestone BT016's are fantastic and highly recommended by me!

I will be going back to the BT016's when my Pilot roads 3's need replacing. :D

Just got my bike out of storage and checked the dates on the tires: End of 2003 :/. It's an 04. Not sure how I missed that when I bought it in October. Anyways, I need new tires for front and rear. The rear has a wide flat spot all the way around. I was looking at PR4s but I'll be nearing $450 total once installed ($60/tire mounted). I ride for fun and commuting and stay in if it is raining. I'll ride if the roads are damp but it is not actively raining. From what I read in this thread, this tire would suit my riding. I can get these for about $220 from Revzilla plus they have a $40 rebate from Bridgestone. Can't wait for the new shoes!

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my bike out of storage and checked the dates on the tires: End of 2003 :/. It's an 04. Not sure how I missed that when I bought it in October. Anyways, I need new tires for front and rear. The rear has a wide flat spot all the way around. I was looking at PR4s but I'll be nearing $450 total once installed ($60/tire mounted). I ride for fun and commuting and stay in if it is raining. I'll ride if the roads are damp but it is not actively raining. From what I read in this thread, this tire would suit my riding. I can get these for about $205 from Revzilla plus they have a $40 rebate from Brdigstone. Can't wait for the new shoes!
Nice deal!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Does $60 per tire to mount, if I bring the whole bike in, seem high? I'm looking elsewhere online and $25/30 seems more common.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does $60 per tire to mount, if I bring the whole bike in, seem high? I'm looking elsewhere online and $25/30 seems more common.

Carry in pricing in these parts $25 per wheel, so with liability on their backs of taking your bike apart dealing with all of that - $60 per/axle doesn't seem to far out of reach for some shops. Tho I hope they may cut you some slack if you buy them there too.

EDIT: looking up a few posts - I see your reference is the 016 Pros!!! Be sure to get the "Pro's" as old stock of 016 (NOT Pro), may exist. Like Femalebiker said, great Tires! Love them and they cling for dear life, warm up quick, and the last set pushed them from the start and even with release goo on them, they stick! Great feed back too!

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Carry in pricing in these parts $25 per wheel, so with liability on their backs of taking your bike apart dealing with all of that - $60 per/axle doesn't seem to far out of reach for some shops. Tho I hope they may cut you some slack if you buy them their too.

EDIT: looking up a few posts - I see your refernce is the 016 Pros!!! Be sure to get the "Pro's" as old stock of 016 (NOT Pro), may exist. Like Femalebiker said, great Tires! Love them and they cling for dear life, warm up quick, and the last set pushed them from the start and even with release goo on them, they stick! Great feed back too!

I'll definitely verify if they are pros. Unfortunately, he did not mention any slack as we were discussing the tires and mounting at the same time.

Another shop quoted $170 to mount the two, so that is making $60 each seem reasonable!