broken off bolt inside frame slider mounting spot

icecool988

Reaction score
Visit site
So i was always wondering why the used bike i bought only had one frame slider, got around to ordering a pair recently, and found out that the previous owner broke off a bolt inside there.

any ideas to get it out, and even if i did i dont see that being able to be retapped for a bigger bolt, its obviously cross threaded if he put enough force to shear off that big bolt., im sure the threads are totally messed up.

any advice besides only crash on the right side?

thanks

jay

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So i was always wondering why the used bike i bought only had one frame slider, got around to ordering a pair recently, and found out that the previous owner broke off a bolt inside there.

any ideas to get it out, and even if i did i dont see that being able to be retapped for a bigger bolt, its obviously cross threaded if he put enough force to shear off that big bolt., im sure the threads are totally messed up.

any advice besides only crash on the right side?

thanks

jay

Its critical to replace that bolt. The engine bolted into the frame is an integral part of the strength as it's a stressed member.

I suspect the broken bolt is NOT SEIZED up inside the engine (that's where the threads actually are).
It sounds like he dropped the bike and broke it off. The aluminum threads of the engine would have
stripped out way before breaking off the bolt.

An Easy Out will probably work as NOW, there's no load on the bolt (its literally not doing anything).

Just go very easy on the easy out as if that breaks inside, MUCH harder to fix. If its really stuck, a heat gun
to the block where the threads are would help (but likely isn't necessary)

If your not comfy removing the broken bolt, a machine should be able to remove it for under $30 or so..

I doubt the threads are damaged at this point.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can accurately center punch it and then with a left hand drill bit, begin the drilling process, often times the bolt will back itself out.

As stated, a machine shop could do this for you.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Final, I have had much success over the years with a quality LH drill set, centre punch and patience. You could possibly get this type of work performed at a reputable cylinder head/engine reconditioner in your area. Head shops would be pulling broken exhaust studs out regularly and would have tools to do it for you. If the thread is totalled once the broken off bolt is removed an engine shop can supply and install a hell-coil. Not the greatest solution, but installed properly it will sustain 55nm frame slider bolt easily. This will at least give you the ability to retain the standard bolt size, instead of drilling and tapping to larger size. Hell-coil sets can be very expensive, so unless you are regularly repairing damaged threads don't buy them.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Final, I have had much success over the years with a quality LH drill set, centre punch and patience. You could possibly get this type of work performed at a reputable cylinder head/engine reconditioner in your area. Head shops would be pulling broken exhaust studs out regularly and would have tools to do it for you. If the thread is totalled once the broken off bolt is removed an engine shop can supply and install a hell-coil. Not the greatest solution, but installed properly it will sustain 55nm frame slider bolt easily. This will at least give you the ability to retain the standard bolt size, instead of drilling and tapping to larger size. Hell-coil sets can be very expensive, so unless you are regularly repairing damaged threads don't buy them.

Heli coils work great EXCEPT you have to drill a larger hole to insert the coil after tapping to a larger size.

Normally not an issue but for the frame to motor mount, your ALSO DRILLING the frame larger (not good), or need to drop the engine some
to access, drill and install the coil (W/O hacking up the frame).

In this case thou, it shouldn't be an issue at all (un-less it gets mangled in the removal process)..

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, heli-coils can be present problems as large as the original broken bolt. It looks like dropping the engine out of the way would be needed. Hopefully the bolt would come out with out any major work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, heli-coils can be present problems as large as the original broken bolt. It looks like dropping the engine out of the way would be needed. Hopefully the bolt would come out with out any major work.

A broken Easy Out or hardened drill bit broke off in that broken stud would be a bigger problem.

But its likely a soft bolt to shear off as it did.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Helicoil can be installed without droppign engine. In my bike, i've seized the same bolt hole, with excessive torque, helicoil man did it just in seconds. Feels more solid with helicoil then before.