B'Stone fans - next pick for Canyon Carving? Headed --> BT023

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rear BT-023 is done.... What next? Any picks from the B'Stone gang or is it time to switch teams?!?! Up front the 016 pro is in good shape for 2015.

Bike's at 21k now, installed the 023 around 2013-08, so it roughly 7X00 miles :don'tknow: --> Old post from Aug 2013

FWIW: Very predictable tire. I like it and may run another down. IIRC the T30 blew off the Tiger in 5K so that's a no go.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say the tire blew off the Tiger, are you referencing Jblk96505's Tiger?

I have to get out tomorrow to work on my bike and I will look at the miles I have on my T-30. It does look good so far with no noticeable where or squaring. I wonder if the tire size might have some relativity to mileage with the T-30. If the T-30 gives me decent mileage which is better than the last S-20 I burned on the rear I'll be pretty happy. It sticks good for me and in fact I'm surprised at how well it's worked for me as a performance tire.

I've done more slabbing on the tire than I normally do because of the quick squaring I've experienced on BT-016 and S-20 rear tires.

I got a great deal on the T-30 from a bike dealer that was selling them for $109!

I will stay with the S-20 or BT-016 Pro on the front because they wear 2 to 1 against the same model rear. I've had no adverse effect with the different model tires, S-20 front and T-30 Rear, and that's probably due to the fact that the profiles are the same. :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya ^^ the S20 - 023 thread. He said he/tiger killed it in 5K miles. But yours is doing better?! What size is yours vs his ((oh no.... :( TIRES, TIRE SIZE!!! ))

I don't slab it much but the back is into the wear bars in the center with tread on the edges which is opposite of what I do to the fronts.

I don't need one but the 016 Pro Front $80

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
According to Revzilla (I don't know where you guys buy your tires), the BT-023 in 180/55ZR17 is ~$155 while the Michelin PR3 in 180/55ZR17 is ~$175.

For $20, I think I would definitely go with the Michelin tire. I guess the only problem would be that your front tire wouldn't match anymore.

I know that when I need new tires (should be the end of the next riding season), I'm going to go with PR3's all around or PR4's all around because they have been so highly reviewed. I currently have Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers which have provided good grip in the dry, but the back tire (and front tire on scarce occasions) likes to get a little squirrelly when there is any kind of moisture on the road (note: this may be a side effect of the tires being a few years old now).

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I think the pilot road tires handle like crap, it transformed my fz6 into almost a cruiser. If you mostly are just looking for long life they are good but they are a more round profile instead of a v profile. They are on the touring side and almost no sport in my opinion.

I have pp3's on my bike, they are pretty good but I think i am going back to bridgestone or maybe try dunlop q3's, I liked the 16's better than the pp3 but the pp3's look like they are going to last me about 4500-5000 miles which is really good for a sport tire.

2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout - Motorcycle USA

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I just installed PR2's. same provile as the Pilot Power 2CT's they replaced and those were the best tires I've run and I've run BT016's.

I think the pilot road tires handle like crap, it transformed my fz6 into almost a cruiser. If you mostly are just looking for long life they are good but they are a more round profile instead of a v profile. They are on the touring side and almost no sport in my opinion.

I have pp3's on my bike, they are pretty good but I think i am going back to bridgestone or maybe try dunlop q3's, I liked the 16's better than the pp3 but the pp3's look like they are going to last me about 4500-5000 miles which is really good for a sport tire.

PR2's have the same profile as any sport tire I've run so far. I can't use more than 70% of my bike's performance so why run a tire made for the track that wears out in 4,000 miles?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Might have something to do with the size as the Tiger uses 150/70 ZR 17 so it may have worn a little faster.
I have a PR4 on the rear with about 5K on it with very little signs of wear and a T30 on the front with about 8K on it and still going strong, no noticiable effect on handling, not that I'd notice seeing as how I'm old and slowBlah
For my money I will stick with the Michelin on the rear and when I need a front will probably go with the PR4.

Jerry

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed PR2's. same provile as the Pilot Power 2CT's they replaced and those were the best tires I've run and I've run BT016's.

PR2's have the same profile as any sport tire I've run so far. I can't use more than 70% of my bike's performance so why run a tire made for the track that wears out in 4,000 miles?

lol there is a HUGE difference in grip, if you just ride mostly in a straight line then almost any tire will seem fine.

you can easily see the difference in profile if you set them side by side.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry off topic, but Mr. Photoman, how's your Nina 1000 doing? I was looking at the 2015 and it's sweet. If I hadn't set my mind on the Ducati MTS, I would seriously consider the Ninja 1000.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is doing great i like it a lot. i have a seargent seat on it now, i have took it to canada and to the tourist trap dragon and no problems yet. i hope to ride it cross country this summer.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout - Motorcycle USA
I did my second track day on them and had zero issues with grip, bike turned well and exceeded my expectations in every way.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, the pr2's. I put about 1k on them before the track day and I think 2k since. I can't afford to replace tires twice a season, that's why I chose them.

I found them to be lacking, they made it harder to turn in and they slipped a lot more in the corners than an actual sport bike tire. I know I would never buy another set, I think they are just terrible. I would rather have good grip than long tire life. Even Michelin will tell you that you will be disappointed with these tires if you are expecting sport bike performance out of them.

‘Sport-touring,’ not ‘sport’

Before we go too far, Michelin motorcycle tires come in excellent sporting versions, but we need to clarify some misconceptions about the Pilot Road 3s that have been floating around the Internet.

Since the Pilot Road 3s come in sizes to fit popular sportbikes, some have thought to slap them on a GSXR-1000 or the like, and have the best of all worlds.

Sounds great, right? Potential durability like a Gold Wing’s tire, but grip like, perhaps a Michelin Pilot Power in the corners.

But not so fast. This is not what the Pilot Road 3 tires are for, which we learned after a series of back-and forth talks with Michelin.

“Someone who puts these on his Hayabusa will not be a happy camper,” said Michelin Two-Wheel Public Relations Manager, Dan Passe.

Some people take cruisers to track days and think they handle great but that does not mean they do.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Grip is life. Loose grip and all my other bad habbits won't matter! Blah

So many choices. . .

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I found them to be lacking, they made it harder to turn in and they slipped a lot more in the corners than an actual sport bike tire. I know I would never buy another set, I think they are just terrible. I would rather have good grip than long tire life. Even Michelin will tell you that you will be disappointed with these tires if you are expecting sport bike performance out of them.

Some people take cruisers to track days and think they handle great but that does not mean they do.

That's very true. The pilot road tires will not give you the same grip as the pilot powers. But since our bike is no where near a GSXR1000 or a Hayabusa both in terms of performance and rider demographic, it's safe to say pilot roads will work for 99% of FZ6 riders. The other 1% isn't wrong by using different tires, they just need a tire with more grip than longevity. Since I live up around Chicago, there are very few twisties (sad, I know), but it means that a dual compound sport touring tire is perfect for me. If I lived somewhere with twisties, I would be rethinking my tire choice.

TL;DR, to each their own tire for their particular need.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ haha - hence the thread title.

Re-SCOPE; I use most of the tires surface. The side part next to the chicken is REALLY IMPORTANT! :p

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
next pick for Canyon Carving? is the title of the thread.

Look at the SPORT TIRE shootout thread and make your pick. Sport touring tires for canyon carving if you have a little skill is not the best choice. Sort of like paying for a bunch of track days and bringing a cruiser with a car tire on it.

Revzilla and tons of track guys go with q3's for the price and the amazing grip they offer.

pick one, great tread wear or great grip.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For my needs, the 023 has done well meeting my expectation for traction vs wear, and cost. All though who doesn't want more total miles.
It may have stepped out a few times, but I suspect any would have. I'm going with what I know until the front is done.
Thanks everyone!