Buell a good manufacturer?

Whigam17

Reaction score
Syracuse New York, but hail from Chicago, and hope
Visit site
Hey guys,

Ive been looking into purchasing my first bike. After some research, decided a 600 is prolly not the best thing for me to start on. Soooo, I wanted to know your opinions on Buell motorcycles, the blast in particular. Everything I've been reading says the blast is a pretty ideal starting motorcycle. I have read a few user reviews saying that Buell does not produce high quality bikes (Mostly due to the fact that they assemble their bikes very quickly, and overlook a lot of things that cause major problems in the long run.) Right now I am going to hold off till the spring, and hope to find a decent used blast. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
If you've looking into it already and decided that a 600 is too big for you, then I would recommend the Ninja 250. The new model just got redone and it looks fantastic.

Edit: Also, they are $3k brand new, so finding a used one for less is usually not a problem (though I've heard they keep their value well).

S

sportrider

I don't have any real world experiance with buell, but I've almost bought one a few times. I had a sportster for a few years, which is the source motor for the XB9 and XB12. I had no problems with that. as far as fit and finish the buells I have looked at have always looked very nice. also, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blast is a bike used by the MSF in there training classes. here are some hard numbers

Engine Air-cooled, 4-stroke, 1-cylinder, OHV, 2-valves per cylinder, hydraulic adjusters, self-adjusting

Displacement 30 ci (492 cc)

Bore x Stroke 3.5 x 3.125 in. (88.9 x 79.38 mm)

Compression Ratio 9.2:1

Torque 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) @ 3,200 rpm

Fuel System 40 mm Keihin™ carburetor with auto fuel enricher system

Exhaust Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber

Horsepower 34 hp @ 6,500 rpm

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
CHICAGO:

My friend is selling his GS500 for $1,050 with new Pirellis...it was his first bike...he can now keep up with us in the WI twisties no problem and is looking for a track worthy bike for next season.

after 3 years... - Page 2 - Chicagoland Sportbikes

In any event, I'd stick with a bullet-proof reliable and inexpensive Japanese bike that has a ton of dealer, rider, and after-market support.
________
tits Cams

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Please go and check out
Ninja 250 Riders Club
It is the bike I learned on, and many many many others learn on. It is a great bike to prepare you for a stronger one, and it is a great bike to keep!! I miss mine everyday, and think I was a dumbass for selling it.

H

HavBlue

I don't have any real world experiance with Buell, but I've almost bought one a few times. I had a Sportster for a few years, which is the source motor for the XB9 and XB12. I had no problems with that. as far as fit and finish the Buells I have looked at have always looked very nice. also, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blast is a bike used by the MSF in there training classes. here are some hard numbers

Engine Air-cooled, 4-stroke, 1-cylinder, OHV, 2-valves per cylinder, hydraulic adjusters, self-adjusting

Displacement 30 ci (492 cc)

Bore x Stroke 3.5 x 3.125 in. (88.9 x 79.38 mm)

Compression Ratio 9.2:1

Torque 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) @ 3,200 rpm

Fuel System 40 mm Keihin™ carburetor with auto fuel enricher system

Exhaust Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber

Horsepower 34 hp @ 6,500 rpm

All true Sportrider...

I was close to buying the XB12 before I ran across the FZ6. I rented the XB9 and found it to be a real canyon carver but my anatomy was just to big for that bike. The blast is a good machine but folks tend to out grow the thumper quick as is the case with the Ninja 250 twin. I much prefer the 500's like the Ninja and GS500 Suzuki. Both are excellent machines with a fun factor that will remain high while you get used to being in a saddle on the streets. The ergos for both bikes are very good and their respective maintenance is cheap....