Busy day!

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
So recently I purchased the BD43 Dual Headlight mod, some FZ1 bars, and a complete R6 fork kit for my 2006 FZ6. Luckily, it all came in the mail today (surprised by the fact it was essentially all in one) and now all I have to do is wait for a day off (probably tomorrow) to get the modding started! So far my bike is bone stock and I've read that these mods are for the most part the most popular so I decided to pull the trigger. I've got my tools, parts, and online resources ready and I can't wait to see my bike after all these (assuming I don't run into any trouble along the way). Sorry if this thread is essentially useless, I'm just pretty excited and though I'd share it with you guys. Also, on a side note, I am REALLY surprised by the quality of BD43s cable assembly! Not that I was expecting anything less, but man this thing looks exactly the same, if not better then what comes straight from Yamaha! Anyways, enough rambling, I'll keep you buys posted! And hopefully with some pics afterwords!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!! Careful on the first ride after these mods. FZ1 bar + R6 fork = new bike!! :thumbup:

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys, I need some assistance. I got the fender and forks all mounted up. The only issue came with the brake calipers. The lines I bought were too short so I ended up trying to reuse the stock lines temporarily until the new ones come in. I pushed the pistons in the calipers down in one caliper, then when I did it to the other caliper, the initial side pistons pushed out as if I was pressing on the brake. Because of that, I can't get the calipers onto the rim without them rubbing. I did get lucky and get enough clearance between the pads and the rotor, but after squeezing the brake lever in, the pistons clamped down and wouldn't retract without me having to manually pry them apart. I know the issue isn't with the master cylinder, I'm just wondering what could be causing this. Could it be the fact that the stock brake line is essentially one line being split to two brake calipers? I'm pretty much out of ideas, any input would be great!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys, I need some assistance. I got the fender and forks all mounted up. The only issue came with the brake calipers. The lines I bought were too short so I ended up trying to reuse the stock lines temporarily until the new ones come in. I pushed the pistons in the calipers down in one caliper, then when I did it to the other caliper, the initial side pistons pushed out as if I was pressing on the brake. Because of that, I can't get the calipers onto the rim without them rubbing. I did get lucky and get enough clearance between the pads and the rotor, but after squeezing the brake lever in, the pistons clamped down and wouldn't retract without me having to manually pry them apart. I know the issue isn't with the master cylinder, I'm just wondering what could be causing this. Could it be the fact that the stock brake line is essentially one line being split to two brake calipers? I'm pretty much out of ideas, any input would be great!

Because the 2 calipers are on 1 hose, all you are doing is pushing fluid from 1 caliper to the other. In order to get clearance in BOTH calipers, you need to have the pistons of 1 caliper restrained while you push the other. When you do a normal brake job, this happens as you leave 1 caliper on the bike while you do the other.

An alternative is to open up the bleed screw of the caliper you are pushing on (make sure you attach a hose and direct the fluid safely away from painted surfaces).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually remove the pads for this, which provides loads of clearance. Of course the reason I do this is because the rotors are so much bigger on R6 and FZ1 that with pads in, it's nearly impossible to wiggle the caliper out of the wheel with pads in.

Anyway.. if you pull the pads, you should be able to mount the calipers and then re-install the pads.

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys, unfortunately I won't get back to my bike until later tonight, but is this also why the pistons aren't retracting after squeezing in the brake lever?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So recently I purchased the BD43 Dual Headlight mod, some FZ1 bars, and a complete R6 fork kit for my 2006 FZ6. Luckily, it all came in the mail today (surprised by the fact it was essentially all in one) and now all I have to do is wait for a day off (probably tomorrow) to get the modding started! So far my bike is bone stock and I've read that these mods are for the most part the most popular so I decided to pull the trigger. I've got my tools, parts, and online resources ready and I can't wait to see my bike after all these (assuming I don't run into any trouble along the way). Sorry if this thread is essentially useless, I'm just pretty excited and though I'd share it with you guys. Also, on a side note, I am REALLY surprised by the quality of BD43s cable assembly! Not that I was expecting anything less, but man this thing looks exactly the same, if not better then what comes straight from Yamaha! Anyways, enough rambling, I'll keep you buys posted! And hopefully with some pics afterwords!

BD43 mod running since 2007 no issues and to be honest it is wearing better than the rest of the bike. If I sell the bike the mod is coming with me.

Nelly.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys, unfortunately I won't get back to my bike until later tonight, but is this also why the pistons aren't retracting after squeezing in the brake lever?

That's normal. You should never squeeze the lever with the caliper off the bike. It can push the pistons out too far.
Under normal use, when lever is squeezed, pistons get pushed out and when lever is released, they don't really retract. The pads sit right up against the rotor and always drag a little.

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay cool. I had my buddy pick up some caliper seals so I can rebuild them (they look like the have some gunk in them) tonight then hopefully go out for my first ride after the new forks tomorrow! I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay cool. I had my buddy pick up some caliper seals so I can rebuild them (they look like the have some gunk in them) tonight then hopefully go out for my first ride after the new forks tomorrow! I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

I've had success cleaning pistons with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Don't always have to replace seals.. unless you know you have brake fluid leaking of if pistons stick badly.

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Alight, I'll try rebuilding them tonight. Last night gave me an indication there was some gunk in there seeing as pressing the brake lever only made one piston move. The others needed assistance, so I hope that's where my problem lies.

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys, so far the R6 Forks and calipers are on and I JUST finished the BD43 headlight mod. All I can say about the forks is wow. I no longer have brake dive, and going over irregularities in the road is no longer really noticeable. All in all, definitely worth the money! The BD43 mod was fairly easy as well, I'd say the only annoying part is getting the airbox off (mainly because I've never even messed with it before!). After that, it was a piece of cake. I can't wait for tomorrow night (it's been raining all day out here in Cali) to get out and see the difference a second headlight truly makes! Other then that, I'm just waiting on some Galfer SS brake lines to come in the mail, and my new smoked Puig Wind screen purchased from teapot39. Pictures will come once I get all the parts put on the bike and I can give her a bath, she's a bit dirty right now! ;)

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I know, I need to. Work has been killin me lately what with Valentines. Still waiting on the wind screen and SS lines, should be here Monday. I WILL post some pics on Monday evening!

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Well after piecing it together, I finally gotten through a heavy case of the modding bug. Here she is!

In short:
R6 Forks + Calipers
Galfer SS Braided lines
FZ1 Bars + Rizoma grips and new carbon fiber bar ends
BD43 Headlight mod (can't see it, but it's there!)
Puig Smoked Windscreen
And just for kicks, some LEDs wired up to give it a nice blue under glow

e8yzyne7.jpg
2y3yna9u.jpg
gy4ygy5u.jpg

She's far from done, but for now me and my wallet are satisfied!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice!

One thing i was wondering the other day, can you actually see through a smoked windscreen when you tuck? Or are you riding blind if you do so?

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I literally put the screen on about 30 seconds before taking these pictures haha so I have no idea yet. I'll be able to try it out tonight and tomorrow and let you know!